2009-2011: A two-season triumph for the Toon

Irrelevant Nick KP

If we stopped thinking about football in terms of seasons, and spoke of season pairs then 2009-2011 has been the most enjoyable season pair I have ever experienced, and that includes 1995-1997. In the Summer of 2009, people throughout Britain were gloating at the Toon. The next 2 years told the gloaters a thing or two. Absolutely wonderful. If we beat Blackppol tomorrow, then I'll begin to feel that celebration feeling for an extraordinary season back in the Prem, after having reduced the wage bill considerably, and been so shrewd in the transfer market.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which seasons of 95/96/97 was better than last season? And how come struggling to make it into the top half is better than any of those two seasons? Bizarre comparison.

Shrewd in the transfer market? Lucky you mean.

Which seasons of 95/96/97 was better than last season? And how come struggling to make it into the top half is better than any of those two seasons? Bizarre comparison.

Shrewd in the transfer market? Lucky you mean.

No, I don't mean lucky at all.

1... We seem to have a policy of never holding on to any player who wants to leave. (I agree with that policy)

2... Never kow-towing to players who want to have their already ridiculously high wages raised.

3... Finding out which relatively unknown players are also very good, and buying them for cheaper sums. (Leon Best).

In 1995-97 we finished 2nd twice, and we were in the top 3, when it comes to investing in players.

Now, we are higher up in the league than plenty of clubs who have spent far more money than we have, eg. Sunderland and Villa.

Edited by Nick-Kielce-Poland

Our transfer moves

In

Campbell - shit signing

Gosling - no idea, no worth yet

Perch - Shit

Williamson - Worst player in the starting 11

Simpson - ok right back

Tiote - very lucky

Ben Arfa - unlucky

Best - ok back up striker, not 'very good'

Out (recent)

Carroll - risk of letting him go looks to have paid off, it was a risky move not a shrewd one.

Routledge - Gone apparently, just leaving us light on numbers.

Our transfer moves

In

Campbell - shit signing

Gosling - no idea, no worth yet

Perch - Shit

Williamson - Worst player in the starting 11

Simpson - ok right back

Tiote - very lucky

Ben Arfa - unlucky

Best - ok back up striker, not 'very good'

Out (recent)

Carroll - risk of letting him go looks to have paid off, it was a risky move not a shrewd one.

Routledge - Gone apparently, just leaving us light on numbers.

Sherwdiness!

Phil, sacking Hughton was a mistake in my opinion, and the one sad point in these last 2 seasons.

ChezGiven how come the Tiote signing was just luck? If it had been Ferguson who bought him, everyone would be gushing at Ferguson's genius. How on earth do you know that whoever spotted Tiote on behalf of the Toon didn't know he was good from seeing him??? Over to you.

Phil, sacking Hughton was a mistake in my opinion, and the one sad point in these last 2 seasons.

ChezGiven how come the Tiote signing was just luck? If it had been Ferguson who bought him, everyone would be gushing at Ferguson's genius. How on earth do you know that whoever spotted Tiote on behalf of the Toon didn't know he was good from seeing him??? Over to you.

If we sign another player of that quality for £3.5m this summer, i'll say it wasnt luck. However, when you look at the very variable quality of all the other transfer and players brought in, there is no consistent pattern of this quality. Hence its luck. Him and Ben Arfa are the only decent signings of the last 2 years and Ben Arfa wanted to come here and chose us ahead of Bremen.

Also, Tiote has been watched for many seasons by a host of clubs, if there was clear evidence that he was going to be as good as he is in the premiership, other teams would have been in there before us. He's an amazing signing but to say there is no luck involved would be to say that everyone knew he was going to be this good.

I personally think Willo aint that bad!

Would rather him than Taylor at the moment who has been nothing short of woeful when he starts. Especially against Everton!

Not saying he is shit, just the worst player in the starting 11 when we've got our strongest other 10 on the pitch.

If we sign another player of that quality for £3.5m this summer, i'll say it wasnt luck. However, when you look at the very variable quality of all the other transfer and players brought in, there is no consistent pattern of this quality. Hence its luck. Him and Ben Arfa are the only decent signings of the last 2 years and Ben Arfa wanted to come here and chose us ahead of Bremen.

Also, Tiote has been watched for many seasons by a host of clubs, if there was clear evidence that he was going to be as good as he is in the premiership, other teams would have been in there before us. He's an amazing signing but to say there is no luck involved would be to say that everyone knew he was going to be this good.

Hmmm. That first sentence indicates that you are not so certain that it was just luck. Yet later, you say 'hence, it's luck'.

Well, we'll have to agree to differ, but I don't think there is any proof that the signing of Tiote, and his subsequent quality, is all about luck. You've given your evidence, and as far as I can see, it looks flimsy to me.

Whats your evidence for it not being luck then? The consistency with which we sign such fantastic players?

I'm guessing you're not English (from your name, apols if you are) so just to let you know, the linguistic style of that second sentence is the same as the first sentence in my previous post i.e. muted sarcasm.

Crack will rot your brain, you know.

thank you for the advice doctor, I've never took drugs in my life.

as we keep pointing out =THAT is your problem - you really need the medication

To me it was sheer luck that we got Ben Arfa and Tiote. We were lucky that Ben Arfa for some reason or another actually forced through the move to us and wanted to come here.

We were lucky that somehow we picked up Tiote for £3.5 million and he turned out IMO the signing of the Premiership, just look at how many clubs sign players for less than four million and they turn out to be shit and just plain average, Tiote is one of a many few to become a quality Premiership player who was signed for less that 4 million

You get like 1 in every 15 players who turn out class signed for that amount of money