Should Britain introduce AV, or stick with FPTP?

Irrelevant Nick KP

Should Britain introduce AV, or stick with FPTP?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Voted yes a few weeks back. Also looking at the people on the news who dont understand how it works, I think it best they just dont vote at all if they cant figure that out :(

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's been a fantastic year for Nick Clegg, he has sold his soul to get into bed with the Tories and the result has been party that his has taken a kicking in the first elections and the public has told him and his AV system to fuck off.

Worth it?

Edited by ewerk

Well it's been a fantastic year for Nick Clegg, he has sold his soul to get into bed with the Tories and the result has been party that his has taken a kicking in the first elections and the public has told him and his AV system to fuck off.

Worth it?

Do we have the AV result yet? I expect it to be around 60/40 against it, thus right royally fucking up Clegg and his merry band of lapdogs. So something good has come of a rejection.

Worth it?

Do we have the AV result yet? I expect it to be around 60/40 against it, thus right royally fucking up Clegg and his merry band of lapdogs. So something good has come of a rejection.

AV result looks a foregone conclusion. What I found interesting was that among my friends, support for electoram reform in general was very high, even if the only step was through a rather flawed approach (STV is better). Perhaps it will come in line with much needed reform of the upper house.

Tories played the AV well during the forming of a coalition, it's not something either side really wanted, but it became a token gesture to electoral reform. I'd like to think that reform will be back on the agenda at the next general election, but the best people to push the agenda (LD) have severely blotted their copybook.

I called the Lib Dem headquarters to buy a copy of their manifesto but I was told "sorry we have sold out".

I said "I know, but can I buy a copy of your manifesto please?"

Guest alex

The Tories would have England sewn up though, which would be a big downside to Scottish independence imo. Other than that it wouldn't make any difference re: being able to visit, work or live there.

Worth it?

AV result looks a foregone conclusion. What I found interesting was that among my friends, support for electoram reform in general was very high, even if the only step was through a rather flawed approach (STV is better). Perhaps it will come in line with much needed reform of the upper house.

Tories played the AV well during the forming of a coalition, it's not something either side really wanted, but it became a token gesture to electoral reform. I'd like to think that reform will be back on the agenda at the next general election, but the best people to push the agenda (LD) have severely blotted their copybook.

I agree with everything you say there Matt. I doubt we will see any of the reforms you mention. The Lords will remain a dumping ground for old ex-MPs, party donors and friends of the various parties, and the rejection of the AV system will be used against any further reform for my lifetime. So we can look forward to paying for more duck houses for people who have never had a proper job in their life.

As for the SNP, fuck them, let them go. We subsisdise the Scottish, and let them foist expensive policies on England and Wales, and all we get is whining and hostility.

The Tories would have England sewn up though, which would be a big downside to Scottish independence imo. Other than that it wouldn't make any difference re: being able to visit, work or live there.

Aye if Scotland gains independence, the Tories would be a shoe-in for election after election in England - definitely not a good thing (and before you come on here babbling your pro-Tory bollocks CT, I don't think it's healthy for either party to be in power for much more than a decade).

Failure of the AV referendum spells trouble for Miliband too as he's really got into bed with the idea. Not saying it'll be necessarily bad for Labour but it'll massively weaken the support for him. That said though, they're the party that are split by the vote whereas the Tories are all against it and the Lib Dems are all for it. Failure to push through AV is a massive victory for the Tories in the grand scheme of things IMO.

One irony that hasn't passed me by is the argument against AV is often supported by pointing out we're more likely to have coalitions rather than outright majorities. Yet Scotland who vote using PR have an overall majority yet the UK as a whole using FPTP couldn't get an outright winner.

The bottom line is that its all gearing up nicely for a Tory landslide in 4 years time.

The Lib Dems will be annihilated, The economy will be doing well with the deficit looking good and Milliband's adenoid operation will have gone wrong and he'll sound the spit of Stephen Hawkins.

The next time Labour get in most of you lot will be Leazes's age. :(

The bottom line is that its all gearing up nicely for a Tory landslide in 4 years time.

The Lib Dems will be annihilated, The economy will be doing well with the deficit looking good and Milliband's adenoid operation will have gone wrong and he'll sound the spit of Stephen Hawkins.

The next time Labour get in most of you lot will be Leazes's age. ;)

Mystic Bunter in full flight of fancy.

Come the revolution, up against the wall. :(

Despite the fact that it's Labour picking up the Lib Dem votes? (Scotland excluded)

Agreed.

But on the whole it's an awful election for the Lib Dems and not the Tories. Labour need to be concentrating on making a dent into the Tories stronghold on councils. At the moment Cameron's lot are 3:1 on councils and 2:1 on councillors over Labour. Despite Labours success, the Tories have still gained in both.

Disappointed at the AV vote, which will be used as an excuse for blocking any constitutional reforms. The public voted, and they wanted to keep the current system, with all the problems that arise from people being too comfortable in their postion. On the bright side though, this has really pissed on Clegg's cornflakes.

As for the general election, a lot depends on the economic situation. If the economy really picks up, and jobs become available, then the Tories will gain a workable majority. If the economy is still on the edge, or tanking, and jobs are still hard to come by, then Labour might gain a minority government. Either way, the Lib Dems are finished as an alternative to 2 other parties.