High Earners

peasepud

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The United skipper had initially insisted he wanted a new five-year package, adding three years to the two he has left to run on his existing deal.

But The Journal has been told this was just a negotiating stance in the belief he would get a deal which tied him to United for the next four years.

Newcastle, though, are steadfastly refusing to be lumbered with players over 30 on lucrative long-term contracts, and have broken off talks with Nolan’s representatives in an echo of the Barton breakdown a fortnight ago.

Although Barton and Nolan have repeatedly suggested that they want to sign new deals, both have rejected the offers made to them as the board refuse to be bullied in negotiations.

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastl.../#ixzz1OZrRhPcs

The Ashley haters of course wont see wise management or greedy players, will they?

and the Ashley lovers are right behind his target of ridding the game of all greedy players single handed :rolleyes:

I personally don't think we'll be relegated again under Ashley but I doubt we'll get any higher than 9th or so.

just a matter of time if he holds on to the club.

Average wage will include the likes of Richardson, Lua, Lua, Ferguson, Soderberg, Tavernier, etc who'll be on pittance compared to the likes of Nolan.

Just worth keeping in mind.

I personally don't think we'll be relegated again under Ashley but I doubt we'll get any higher than 9th or so.

This summer could be a momentous time for NUFC. If LardAsh gets rid of these senior, Premiership-hardened, players and replaces them with too many unknowns, the team could do well, but it could also fail big time. If they did fail big time, then there would be no swift return to the top division imo.

Team A Bit Concerned.

Average wage will include the likes of Richardson, Lua, Lua, Ferguson, Soderberg, Tavernier, etc who'll be on pittance compared to the likes of Nolan.

Just worth keeping in mind.

Thing is human nature means they will say "Well if you're paying him x I want an increase to y" and a spiral of discontent starts.

Then again if you paid everyone the same there'd be no concept of reward.

My view has always been that they should all be paid a notional small wage (say 5k in the modern game) and then have performance related bonuses (which I know they have anyway but still) which could be individual and team based up to a decent level.

Again though such a scheme would have to be universal.

The United skipper had initially insisted he wanted a new five-year package, adding three years to the two he has left to run on his existing deal.

But The Journal has been told this was just a negotiating stance in the belief he would get a deal which tied him to United for the next four years.

Newcastle, though, are steadfastly refusing to be lumbered with players over 30 on lucrative long-term contracts, and have broken off talks with Nolan’s representatives in an echo of the Barton breakdown a fortnight ago.

Although Barton and Nolan have repeatedly suggested that they want to sign new deals, both have rejected the offers made to them as the board refuse to be bullied in negotiations.

The Ashley haters of course wont see wise management or greedy players, will they?

and the Ashley lovers are right behind his target of ridding the game of all greedy players single handed :rolleyes:

Another "founded by Leazes" myth

I think one of the problems that can happen on this forum is the over-the-top attitude from both sides of the camp. If the "positive" lads see a "negative" thread they must spout shit about us winning the league, and if the "negative" lads see a "positive" thread all of a sudden we're playing Bournemouth every season. I'm not a fan of Ashley per se, but I must admit I am rather liking the way he's doing the wages. Agreed i'd rather keep Nolan and Barton etc. but it's untenable to have so many squad players on ridiculous wages. Ashley must have some idea of what he's doing, he's not just gonna have some tit for tat "They don't like me i'm going to get them relegated" thoughts, although let's be honest, he's had massive mares in the past. Guess i'm gonna have to sit on the fence as per and say those dreaded words "Wait till august".

good one

and the "Ashley haters", founded by CT, is alright because you agree with it ?

Shame that you will soon realise how wrong and blind you have been, along with all those other knackers on skunkers, but I bet you will all find another excuse to avoid admitting spouting bullshit.

I think one of the problems that can happen on this forum is the over-the-top attitude from both sides of the camp. If the "positive" lads see a "negative" thread they must spout shit about us winning the league, and if the "negative" lads see a "positive" thread all of a sudden we're playing Bournemouth every season. I'm not a fan of Ashley per se, but I must admit I am rather liking the way he's doing the wages. Agreed i'd rather keep Nolan and Barton etc. but it's untenable to have so many squad players on ridiculous wages. Ashley must have some idea of what he's doing, he's not just gonna have some tit for tat "They don't like me i'm going to get them relegated" thoughts, although let's be honest, he's had massive mares in the past. Guess i'm gonna have to sit on the fence as per and say those dreaded words "Wait till august".

good one

I'm not over the top in the slightest. I think this wages business is being used as a convenient excuse by those clinging to their claims that "anybody but Fred would be better" which the majority of supporters on all message boards and in real life claimed.

I think paying 2nd rate wages will result in having a 2nd/3rd rate club, its as simple as that.

There is a book called "Why England lose and other curious phenomena explained" which produces all sort of footballing facts, one of which is a comprehensive table based over about 50 years and more, which proves success in football is directly linked to wages. Not necessarily transfer fees, but to wages.

The old saying "pay peanuts and you get monkeys" most definitely applies.

Shame that you will soon realise how wrong and blind you have been, along with all those other knackers on skunkers, but I bet you will all find another excuse to avoid admitting spouting bullshit.

When exactly Leazes? Put a date on it and then Happy can stick it in his prediction thingy.

good one

I'm not over the top in the slightest. I think this wages business is being used as a convenient excuse by those clinging to their claims that "anybody but Fred would be better" which the majority of supporters on all message boards and in real life claimed.

I think paying 2nd rate wages will result in having a 2nd/3rd rate club, its as simple as that.

There is a book called "Why England lose and other curious phenomena explained" which produces all sort of footballing facts, one of which is a comprehensive table based over about 50 years and more, which proves success in football is directly linked to wages. Not necessarily transfer fees, but to wages.

Would that be the book that ridiculously compares football clubs to commercial enterprises, that book ???

Success = income = higher wages, continued success = even more income = even higher wages, basic stuff really.

Of course today, Rich Sugar daddy = stupid wages = income irrelevant = success sooner or later

[q

and the Ashley lovers are right behind his target of ridding the game of all greedy players single handed :D

When exactly Leazes? Put a date on it and then Happy can stick it in his prediction thingy.

I didn't realise that, after 4 years, we have qualified for europe yet and "bettered" the previous regime ? Please put up the proof ?

On September 1st, our status as a selling club again will be there for everybody to see ie unless they still have their heads up their arse.

Don't ruin the thread. I was simply responding to the one-sided and ignorant post by TP, the type of thing you post :rolleyes:

good one

That doesnt establish whether the wages drive success or are driven by success though does it. Proving cause and effect is a bit more complicated than just observing an assoication.

The real issue here is do you want another Alan Smith situation? How much will Nolan be worth per week in 2015?

good one

Would that be the book that ridiculously compares football clubs to commercial enterprises, that book ???

Success = income = higher wages, continued success = even more income = even higher wages, basic stuff really.

Of course today, Rich Sugar daddy = stupid wages = income irrelevant = success sooner or later

Unlike the book you have by "bitter" Denis Cassidy of course. What a hypocrite. I would say the book I refer to is far more insightful, it looks at all football clubs over a period of 50 years and compares all of their fortunes side by side against each other.

stop pretending you had a crystal ball 5-6 years ago and saw Man City were going to be taken over by Arabs, although why that means NUFC have to behave like a selling club run on the lines of clubs like Bolton and Blackburn is still a mystery you should explain. Admit that the new owner is "not better than Fred" etc etc - and never will be. And stop derailing the thread. That is my point, my response to you, success is related to wages, if the club pays 2nd rate wages and doesn't keep up, it will only decline further.

That is the topic of this thread, so stick to it.

good one

That doesnt establish whether the wages drive success or are driven by success though does it. Proving cause and effect is a bit more complicated than just observing an assoication.

The real issue here is do you want another Alan Smith situation? How much will Nolan be worth per week in 2015?

Why Alan Smith ? Don't you want us to sign another Alan Shearer ie instead of losing Andy Carroll ?

This summer could be a momentous time for NUFC. If LardAsh gets rid of these senior, Premiership-hardened, players and replaces them with too many unknowns, the team could do well, but it could also fail big time. If they did fail big time, then there would be no swift return to the top division imo.

Team A Bit Concerned.

Exactly. Like Paddocklad mentions, the thought of 4 or 5 players new to the premier league having difficulty settling and us needing points after jan or feb and I'd be very concerned.

good one

Unlike the book you have by "bitter" Denis Cassidy of course. What a hypocrite. I would say the book I refer to is far more insightful, it looks at all football clubs over a period of 50 years and compares all of their fortunes side by side against each other.

stop pretending you had a crystal ball 5-6 years ago and saw Man City were going to be taken over by Arabs, although why that means NUFC have to behave like a selling club run on the lines of clubs like Bolton and Blackburn is still a mystery you should explain. Admit that the new owner is "not better than Fred" etc etc - and never will be. And stop derailing the thread. That is my point, my response to you, success is related to wages, if the club pays 2nd rate wages and doesn't keep up, it will only decline further.That is the topic of this thread, so stick to it.

Don't have any books on or about football can't think of anything worse tbh.

The book you refer to is fundamentaly and hilariously flawed in the one example of it's "insight" that you've so far spouted.

As for the last bit, until recently (post Abramovich) I would suggest wage levels were related to continued success rather than the other way around, as we sadly prove.

Edited by Toonpack

From the chronny

Pardew will also be keen to sit down with his skipper Kevin Nolan after talks over a new contract broke down – leaving the ex-Bolton man facing an uncertain long-term future.

You have to laugh sometimes dont you. Been on 30,40, or 50 grand a week for the last 5-10 years poor bugger. His long term future is being a multi millionaire who will do the odd bit of punditry in-between nice little talk in numbers and golf at La Manga....ffs

is it just about the high earners wages, or is it more about who is the boss?

even though it was ‘player power’ that turned NUFC around getting promotion and staying up, are they against the power the players have?

is this just the Ashley regime, like the contempt shown towards the fans in level 7 — now the player power?

smells like it to me.

even though it was ‘player power’ that turned NUFC around getting promotion and staying up, are they against the power the players have?

is this just the Ashley regime, like the contempt shown towards the fans in level 7 — now the player power?

smells like it to me.

I'm quite concerned that there's an element of complaceny at work where they think getting back up and surviving one season represents a "job done" and that they can move ahead with a new "vision". This would then suggest that removing the player power element as you say is the "right" thing to do at this time.

The worry is that they don't understand the importance of that spirit we all appreciated last year and think its somehow not needed any more. As others have said if the replacements don't work out we're fucked.

Guest alex

smells like it to me.

I'm quite concerned that there's an element of complaceny at work where they think getting back up and surviving one season represents a "job done" and that they can move ahead with a new "vision". This would then suggest that removing the player power element as you say is the "right" thing to do at this time.

The worry is that they don't understand the importance of that spirit we all appreciated last year and think its somehow not needed any more. As others have said if the replacements don't work out we're fucked.

Aye, especially if the press speculation is correct that these are players the manager values and wants to keep (no reason to assume those reports aren't accurate either).

What is our current wage bill at the moment compaired to other clubs expecting to finish 12th-7th??

Im all for cutting the wage bill, streamlining the clubs finances but ONLY if it doesnt weaken out squad.

The likes of Barton 60k, Smith 60k, Nolan 40k, S.Taylor 40k, Coloccini, 60k, Gutierrez 50k and Enrique 40k are pretty much our top earners. Tiote and Ben Arfa are probably on compairable wages too of about 50k each. Then you have Simpson 25k, Williamson 20k, R.Taylor 25k, Guthrie, 20k, Gosling 20k, Shola 30k, Best 20k, Lovenkrands 20k......

Of that bunch id only really be looking letting Smith and Lovenkrands go freeing up about 80k a week, 4.2mil per year.

Thats wages for two players of much better quality.