High Earners

peasepud

I was thinking about this the other day and I get more amazed every day by the number of people who use "getting rid of high earners" as a valid reason to lose our best players.

So at the moment we're looking to remove Barton and Nolan off the payroll, that along with Smith would (I believe) remove the £60k plus earners leaving us with a collection of players on anything from 5 - 55k p/w regardless of the amounts however you still get a mismatch in pays. With the influx of new cheaper players that we're working towards we'll have maybe £25k - 30k as the average pay come January.

I reckon we'll then hear talk of "removing the high earners", the likes of Jonas, Colo, Enrique, Harper etc. Slowly (probably not even that slowly) chipping away those at the top of the pile and replacing them with cheaper options and so the cycle continues. As long as they always remove the higher earners then they score on two counts, generally these will be the ones with the higher resale value and the biggest cut to the payroll, more importantly though the likes of CT will always lap it up and talk of "making the right noises"

What it does as well though is reduce further our position in the global market, making it harder to attract any kind of talent until somewhere along the line we hit the breaking point. No more high earners to get rid of and nobody any good to replace them. Chances are however we'll be a 1st Division team by then so it'll be fair enough.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about this the other day and I get more amazed every day by the number of people who use "getting rid of high earners" as a valid reason to lose our best players.

So at the moment we're looking to remove Barton and Nolan off the payroll, that along with Smith would (I believe) remove the £60k plus earners leaving us with a collection of players on anything from 5 - 55k p/w regardless of the amounts however you still get a mismatch in pays. With the influx of new cheaper players that we're working towards we'll have maybe £25k - 30k as the average pay come January.

I reckon we'll then hear talk of "removing the high earners", the likes of Jonas, Colo, Enrique, Harper etc. Slowly (probably not even that slowly) chipping away those at the top of the pile and replacing them with cheaper options and so the cycle continues. As long as they always remove the higher earners then they score on two counts, generally these will be the ones with the higher resale value and the biggest cut to the payroll, more importantly though the likes of CT will always lap it up and talk of "making the right noises"

What it does as well though is reduce further our position in the global market, making it harder to attract any kind of talent until somewhere along the line we hit the breaking point. No more high earners to get rid of and nobody any good to replace them. Chances are however we'll be a 1st Division team by then so it'll be fair enough.

"good business".

And the idiots are falling for every word of it.

A profit in the lower league is the same as a profit in the premiership, in the eyes of our owner.

The club is in decline, it is fast becoming just like the days of McKeag, Seymour etc, and thousands are lapping up this bullshit.

What you say is exactly how the decline happens, and its the complete opposite of what the last owners did when they found the club. Easy as fuck to spot too, unless your eyes are tightly closed.

Edited by LeazesMag

If we've got up to half a dozen (a majority possibly French/continental) players with no previous premier league experiance in January then survival will be a fuckin miracle.

I had a horiffic thought a few weeks ago but have kept it to myself so's not to tempt fate but with all the usual suspects being earmarked for a move it crossed my mind that Collocini could be just the sort Arsenal are looking for.... he's done 3 seasons in English football, comfortable on the ball, and he's better than anything theyve got, bar possibly Vermaelen.

:gay:

We need to learn from sunderland mistakes this season where they had a team full of loanees who didn't give a fuck.

We might end up with a load of frog mercenaries who are looking at us a stepping stone.

For me the most worrying aspect of Ashley's poundshop policy is summedup in the last paragraph of Puds OP.

We're already there imo, whenever a 'name' player is linked to us now, one of the most overwhelming responses is "Why would they come here?".

Peasepud in doom and gloom shocker....whatever next.

Remember this little gem from May last year, as we pissed the league. :gay:

This squad will be decimated from the already fragile one it is, I do believe that the likes of Colo, Enrique, Jonas and Nolan will not hang around to become the scapegoats for another relegation. Thats on the back of the almost certain departure of Taylor. Once we get to December and hes seen Liverpool stick 8 past us then history will repeat itself and Harper will also bugger off.

:icon_lol:

Cabaye has been offered £50k a week and Nolan has been offered a change in contract conditions from 2013. Enrique has been offered a new contract and the liverpool story has gone dead. Barton is an excellent creative player but is limited in his deployability and could be replaced. I think it would be a mistake but if the other 2 stay then we could live with it. It's normal that contracts come to an end and the playing staff changes over time, it's the pace of the change not the change itself that worries me. That takes as read that the players coming in are good enough to replace them, obviously.

Cabaye has been offered £50k a week and Nolan has been offered a change in contract conditions from 2013. Enrique has been offered a new contract and the liverpool story has gone dead. Barton is an excellent creative player but is limited in his deployability and could be replaced. I think it would be a mistake but if the other 2 stay then we could live with it. It's normal that contracts come to an end and the playing staff changes over time, it's the pace of the change not the change itself that worries me. That takes as read that the players coming in are good enough to replace them, obviously.

I agree with the Barton comments. If you were is employer and you look back over the past 4 years there is no way he has deserved the wage he has been paid. 1 good season in 4, which has included numerous incidents including jail time. Regardless whether you think the owners are pricks or not I can see why they dont particularly want him. Good player, but not irreplaceable.

I think one of the problems that can happen on this forum is the over-the-top attitude from both sides of the camp. If the "positive" lads see a "negative" thread they must spout shit about us winning the league, and if the "negative" lads see a "positive" thread all of a sudden we're playing Bournemouth every season. I'm not a fan of Ashley per se, but I must admit I am rather liking the way he's doing the wages. Agreed i'd rather keep Nolan and Barton etc. but it's untenable to have so many squad players on ridiculous wages. Ashley must have some idea of what he's doing, he's not just gonna have some tit for tat "They don't like me i'm going to get them relegated" thoughts, although let's be honest, he's had massive mares in the past. Guess i'm gonna have to sit on the fence as per and say those dreaded words "Wait till august".

I don't think Nolan would be on huge wages TBH. He came from Bolton who won't have been paying huge wages and he came after the reality of owning Newcastle had set in with Ashley. We were towards the bottom of the table and relegation was a likely possibility, so in addition there will have been relegation clauses in the contract that lowered his wage in the Championship. Was only really bought after Barton suffered an injury.

Getting rid of these players is going to have a negative effect on the other good players we have and any future players we bring in, especially when we're getting rid of players who have gotten us to this position we're in the first place and are being fucked off for shyte reasons, when we should be building teams around and with these players, not without them.

£60K per week would be above average wages for Man U (£55.8K) Arsenal (£50.3K) for example (from 2010 figures), would any of our £60K a week "superstars" get into those squads let alone get paid above average wages by them ??

Any ongoing "cull" year on year, of high wage earners is a myth, there's a drive to get wages under control, that's all.

I think people sometimes want it both ways - they want to whinge about the Smiths and Luques of the world but also want to see good players who give their all justly rewarded.

However the report from a few weeks ago about finances which highlighted the huge losses at most clubs did define wages as the main problem. Of course the idea that we can have a good team paying "peanuts" is idealistic especially as so called smaller clubs are paying daft wages as well.

I guess I'd like to retain the concept of the possibility of paying high wages for the right people combined with a strategy to live within our means - if this appoach was a universal trend it could only be good for football in general.

Nolan isn't on anywhere near on 60k.

Barton had an offer to match his contribution over four years and had it withdrawn when Willie McKay started spouting his usual shite.

Jose has been offered an exceptional deal, which he will review when he returns from holiday.

Smith, does it need saying?

So your entire statement is incorrect from start to finish.

I think people sometimes want it both ways - they want to whinge about the Smiths and Luques of the world but also want to see good players who give their all justly rewarded.

However the report from a few weeks ago about finances which highlighted the huge losses at most clubs did define wages as the main problem. Of course the idea that we can have a good team paying "peanuts" is idealistic especially as so called smaller clubs are paying daft wages as well.

I guess I'd like to retain the concept of the possibility of paying high wages for the right people combined with a strategy to live within our means - if this appoach was a universal trend it could only be good for football in general.

Are you Michel Platini?, because that is the whole drive behind the new rules.

Edited by Toonpack

Are you Michel Platini?, because that is the whole drive behind the new rules.

Idealistic as I said - ways round them will be found.

As we've discussed almost ad nauseum the way rich owners have trumped the turnover = spending power model has only been to the detriment of football imo.

The United skipper had initially insisted he wanted a new five-year package, adding three years to the two he has left to run on his existing deal.

But The Journal has been told this was just a negotiating stance in the belief he would get a deal which tied him to United for the next four years.

Newcastle, though, are steadfastly refusing to be lumbered with players over 30 on lucrative long-term contracts, and have broken off talks with Nolan’s representatives in an echo of the Barton breakdown a fortnight ago.

Although Barton and Nolan have repeatedly suggested that they want to sign new deals, both have rejected the offers made to them as the board refuse to be bullied in negotiations.

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastl.../#ixzz1OZrRhPcs

The Ashley haters of course wont see wise management or greedy players, will they?

The United skipper had initially insisted he wanted a new five-year package, adding three years to the two he has left to run on his existing deal.

But The Journal has been told this was just a negotiating stance in the belief he would get a deal which tied him to United for the next four years.

Newcastle, though, are steadfastly refusing to be lumbered with players over 30 on lucrative long-term contracts, and have broken off talks with Nolan’s representatives in an echo of the Barton breakdown a fortnight ago.

Although Barton and Nolan have repeatedly suggested that they want to sign new deals, both have rejected the offers made to them as the board refuse to be bullied in negotiations.

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastl.../#ixzz1OZrRhPcs

The Ashley haters of course wont see wise management or greedy players, will they?

Wise management would include a big picture view of the effect of losing those two particular players in terms of squad spirit as well as the "cold logic" of lucrative contracts for ageing players.