Sylvain Marveaux

Matty

He hasn't been traditional 'box to box' for us mind, he's sat deep at times but his attacking intent has always outweighed his defensive efforts. He's always played in attack with Tiote/Cabaye deeper.

I do agree players like Marv are more creative though.

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He hasn't been traditional 'box to box' for us mind, he's sat deep at times but his attacking intent has always outweighed his defensive efforts. He's always played in attack with Tiote/Cabaye deeper.

I do agree players like Marv are more creative though.

Who do you think Cisse would prefer of those two as his "behind-man", in terms of chances created for him as a striker?

Edited by Aeris

what-is-this-i-dont-even-thumb.jpg

You don't understand shit. I asked Tom who Cisse might prefer to have behind him as the AMC. What I meant is that Cab isn't that unpredictable (for the opponent), flairy player like Ben Arfa, Marv or even Sissoko (although he lacks a bit vision), who can carve through defending players with ball in feet to find that spot where he could send that magic pass from. Not saying Cabaye wouldn't do a job there though, but compared to the players we got for that position he just fits better deep-lying thats all.

Edited by Aeris

Disagree about Cabaye. He's great when he is up and around the box and plays some fantastic defence splitting balls.

Problem seems to be the shackles are on him to err towards defensive duties.

Had some great defence splitting assists for us.

My only observation on Cabaye yesterday was that sometimes he is in space and instead of dribbling, passing and moving, he looks for the pass every time. Not saying its a bad thing when he can pass the way he does but there are times when he could run with the ball a bit more. That would mean him carrying on those runs which perhaps he is instructed not to do in that role he has. He scored a few goals for Lille getting into the box with neat little one twos rather than his now more typical long range efforts.

Problem seems to be the shackles are on him to err towards defensive duties.

Lol, CT I always thought you had devoted your life to having Marv as the regular holder of that position. Cabaye is our best deep-lying creative player, he's not gonna to be utilized to his fullest if he plays AMC since he also has strong defensive capabilities others don't have. He's not the dribble flair guy either, and his defensive splitting balls he can easily do from deeper with the passing skills he have.

...Right now he seems to have been instructed to cross more high balls though, something which is not working in anyones favor tbh.

Edited by Aeris

He can play like that though, maybe he just had more energy when he was younger or the French league was just slower. You can't have it all I suppose.

His work-rate and energy is faultless, but that's what we need deeper on the field not in the typical Marveaux position.

Lol, CT I always thought you had devoted your life to having Marv as the regular holder of that position. Cabaye is our best deep-lying creative player, he's not gonna to be utilized to his fullest if he plays AMC since he also has strong defensive capabilities others don't have. He's not the dribble flair guy either, and his defensive splitting balls he can easily do from deeper with the passing skills he have.

...Right now he seems to have been instructed to cross more high balls though, something which is not working in anyones favor tbh.

No I'm still a Marv in fan but it is tough trying to shuffle others around to get him where he is most dangerous.

The best bet for me is playing Sissoko and Cabaye instead of him and Tiote however I can't see Pardew giving that a go.

Even if Tiote gets injured it will probably be Perch or Anita in.

It will be interesting to see what happens when HBA is back whether we simply return to pre Christmas firm of giving him the ball and hope he'll work a miracle.

Can't see us getting many goals simply from chucking crosses in for Cisse.

Ideally Sisokko needs to be able to play neat interchanges with HBA / Cisse and be able to pause and pick out passes like Marveaux did.

Something is just not right given the quality at our disposal and Im not sure whether its just Marveaux type skill around the box or whether we need Carrol etc in the summer to get on the end of all these crosses.

Decisions need making one way or the other IMO.

Edited by Christmas Tree

Our creative players:

Sissoko is a brutal train who likes everything to go fast fast forward, his advantage is when he can run from deep centre and carry the ball using his fast-paced technique and have someone running along with him so he can spray it on the sides.

Marv is the player who has a more of a chess-like vision, then dribbles himself to a position where he can make those unpredictable passes happen finding the correct team-mate who can just tap it in.

Cabaye is a hard-working all-rounder who likes a bit of everything but mostly favors the stationary long-passing either low or high depending on the opening and space. Anita is the more defensive-minded version of Cabaye I guess.

Ben-Arfa is like Marv in flair and dribble but way more skilled, but maybe not so good a vision for where to lay his passes, so that's why he likes do to things individually often using much longer time dribbling than Marv so he can get into goal-scoring position for himself or get to the by-line and cross a nice ball.

Edited by Aeris

No I'm still a Marv in fan but it is tough trying to shuffle others around to get him where he is most dangerous.

The best bet for me is playing him and Cabaye instead of him and Tiote however I can't see Pardew giving that a go.

Even if Tiote gets injured it will probably be Perch or Anita in.

It will be interesting to see what happens when HBA is back whether we simply return to pre Christmas firm of giving him the ball and hope he'll work a miracle.

Can't see us getting many goals simply from chucking crosses in for Cisse.

Ideally Sisokko needs to be able to play neat interchanges with HBA / Cisse and be able to pause and pick out passes like Marveaux did.

Something is just not right given the quality at our disposal and Im not sure whether its just Marveaux type skill around the box or whether we need Carrol etc in the summer to get on the end of all these crosses.

Decisions need making one way or the other IMO.

I fucking hope not.

Our creative players:

Sissoko is a brutal train that like's everything to go fast fast forward, his advantage is when he can run from deep centre and carry the ball using his fast-paced technique and have someone running along with him so he can spray it on the sides.

Marv is the player who has a more of a chess-like vision, then dribbles himself to a position where he can make those unpredictable passes happen finding the correct team-mate how can just tap it in.

Cabaye is a hard-working all-rounder who likes a bit of everything but mostly favors the stationary long-passing either low or high depending on the opening and space. Anita is the more defensive-minded version of Cabaye I guess.

Ben-Arfa is like Marv in flair and dribble but way more skilled, but maybe not so good a vision for where to lay his passes, so that's why he likes do to things individually often using much longer time dribbling than Marv so he can get into goal-scoring position for himself or get to the by-line and cross a nice ball.

That's a load of tosh, especially when he's playing on the right. Ben Arfa rarely runs to the by-line and crosses the ball into the box. He cuts inside onto his left and can thread a ball through, certainly not a by-line type winger at all. He also has the best vision of out anyone in our squad.

That's a load of tosh, especially when he's playing on the right. Ben Arfa rarely runs to the by-line and crosses the ball into the box. He cuts inside onto his left and can thread a ball through, certainly not a by-line type winger at all. He also has the best vision of out anyone in our squad.

he goes to the left by-line when he wants to cross, even when he plays from his wide-right position. anyways whether his vision is the best in the squad or if Marv's better is discussable. I need to see both of them playing at their best in the same season first.

Edited by Aeris

:lol: What a load of shite.

....and when you were crying out for Ferguson to get games because he's such a brilliant crosser everyone on here told you it was pointless putting crosses in for Cisse but you wouldn't have it.

Your forgetting we had Cisse AND Ba then :)

Our creative players:

Sissoko is a brutal train who likes everything to go fast fast forward, his advantage is when he can run from deep centre and carry the ball using his fast-paced technique and have someone running along with him so he can spray it on the sides.

Marv is the player who has a more of a chess-like vision, then dribbles himself to a position where he can make those unpredictable passes happen finding the correct team-mate who can just tap it in.

Good summary.