Sylvain Marveaux

Matty

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Genuine question here CT - do you think Marveaux is better than Ben Arfa?

Irrelevant. Ben Arfa haven't had or will not have a decent run for us this season, Marveaux have had and will have more. That's how the score is now.

Genuine question here CT - do you think Marveaux is better than Ben Arfa?

Not better, different.

I don't think HBA would have got the two assists that Marveaux did this week. That's not to say HBA wouldn't have either scored himself or created two different assists.

I would love to have seen Cabaye, Marveaux, HBA and Sissoko all on the field at the same time.

ABANDON%20THREAD%20Conan_13e6ad_2491545.gif?1313489009

:lol:

Might have made more sense if he wanted him playing instead of say Gouffran but Tiote or Jonas. Why dont some people get the fact you need different types of players who can perform different roles. All about getting the balance right. Not as simple as playing the technically better player.

I would love to have seen Cabaye, Marveaux, HBA and Sissoko all on the field at the same time.

Yes, as would I. However, you also need some players who can help the team out defensively. Hence why you see the best from Cabaye when Tiote plays and the best from Santon with Jonas in front.

An all out attacking formation sounds appealing but would be absolutely ripped apart by the most average of PL sides.

Marveaux is a perfect impact sub to bring on against a tired defence. He has notched two great assists in the last two games, but both have been very late in the game against tired defences.

Yes, as would I. However, you also need some players who can help the team out defensively. Hence why you see the best from Cabaye when Tiote plays and the best from Santon with Jonas in front.

An all out attacking formation sounds appealing but would be absolutely ripped apart by the most average of PL sides.

Marveaux is a perfect impact sub to bring on against a tired defence. He has notched two great assists in the last two games, but both have been very late in the game against tired defences.

Sorry mate I just don't buy it, havent all season.

Pardew gears us up to play over cautious football far too often and there is no need for it.

It was great a season or two ago? When Pardew used Jonas in that defensive mid role against Man U and he looked good, but overall his game has been killed ending up in his worst season for the club.

Against average teams you could easily play with those four. Not worth arguing really as its probably never likely to happen.

Edited by Christmas Tree

Why do you think Pardew might adopt a cautious - i.e pragmatic approach?

People were asking us to push up against Spurs ffs. There's a lot of teams we've played this season where we would have had our arse handed to us had we went for it a bit more - including Metalist/Anzhi recently- It's a fine line & of course most approaches look worse when you don't have the correct squad to employ them. Again, nobody had a problem with it last year now everybody's on Townsends tactics truck preaching rubbish,

Jose Mourihno often adopted a 'cautious' aproach in England, whilst also playing variations of 4-3-3....

I think with Marv/Sissoko/Cabaye/Ben Arfa we'd have to employ a proper system & we'd need full backs instead of wingbacks...

What were we saying about Marveaux going missing for long periods of the game? Apart from a decent corner, I forgot he was playing.

Doesn't want the ball...hiding behind his teammates...I did it for 20 years on a Sunday morning so I know what am talking about...

Disappointing game from him so far, needs to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and be the focal point of our attacking play and he's not doing that.

when we were on top today he was on the ball and (apart from cocking up a few passes) looked ok

non-existent when we were struggling though.

Nowhere to be seen when the team's in trouble. The amount of space Wigan sometimes had in midfield today.....

Cant see this guy being anything other than an impact sub as long as he's at a half decent team.