Sylvain Marveaux

Matty

He seems to be a good impact player in that position when brought off the bench. The Wigan game aside, he's not really taken his chances when starting in the position.

He's Ben-Arfa lite tbf, but his assist for the winner was pure class. He looked pretty happy as well!

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That spot bang in front of goal, taking his time and picking out the right ball is where he should play when he's on the pitch.

Wasted on the wings and doesn't like getting back or getting stuck in.

It's a very tough juggle to play him in that position, but that's where he's deadly and that's where we need someone who can play that way.

Calmness personified for me in that area.

Would you start him over Sissoko in that position?

I'd start him in a 4312, but in our 4231, being an impact game-changer in central midfield when the opponents are tired is probably what he's best suited for. he should be happy with coming off the bench and be that type of player...

Edited by Aeris

He seems to be a good impact player in that position when brought off the bench. The Wigan game aside, he's not really taken his chances when starting in the position.

He's Ben-Arfa lite tbf, but his assist for the winner was pure class. He looked pretty happy as well!

I don't agree (surprise surprise), I thought he played that role well against Man U and well against Arsenal until the capitulation.

He had moments in those games but was never able to impose himself on it. On the other hand look at Sissoko and how you cant seem to keep him out of the action for 5 minutes. For that reason all he can be is a great option off the bench. The promise is there though, if only he could try and work a little harder in midfield.

As I said, it's tough trying to fit him in, given our system and who else we have, but we do struggle with the final ball at times and he just has that brain that gives him an extra second to think.

I thought we may end up with Cabaye controlling things more on the edge of the box, but I think he's probably under instruction to not get too carried away.

Sissoko started great with us and his runs are fantastic but somehow when we get into that last quarter we need to be more clinical.

I wouldn't drop Sissoko but Id like Marveaux or Cabaye playing in that deadly role.

What about a 433 with

Cabaye Marveaux Tiote

HBA Cisse Sissoko

He's played some great football coming in from the left.

He's more creative and technically precise as an attacking midfielder than Sissoko probably will ever be, but he just don't own anything which can match that physique or workrate. When playing against shit teams which isn't constantly attacking us like the team we played today, we could've easily swapped him with Tiote earlier on though, or started him and put Tiote on later.

Cabaye Marveaux Tiote

HBA Cisse Sissoko

nah...derpty derp...In my head I have always pictured Sissoko coming from deep, playing him that high up is a just waste of amazing physics...at least he should be playing down with Cab, when Marv is on.

Edited by Aeris

As I said, it's tough trying to fit him in, given our system and who else we have, but we do struggle with the final ball at times and he just has that brain that gives him an extra second to think.

I thought we may end up with Cabaye controlling things more on the edge of the box, but I think he's probably under instruction to not get too carried away.

Sissoko started great with us and his runs are fantastic but somehow when we get into that last quarter we need to be more clinical.

I wouldn't drop Sissoko but Id like Marveaux or Cabaye playing in that deadly role.

What about a 433 with

Cabaye Marveaux Tiote

HBA Cisse Sissoko

He's played some great football coming in from the left.

In home games like that you could argue with putting Sissoko deeper and dropping Tiote as you won't need a destroyer type when you have lots of the ball.

I wouldn't play Sissoko as a wide left forward though.

Great assist today but it really riled me when he didn't track back - obviously that's not his role as a forward but when you see players like Ben Arfa & Cisse tracking back it's a piss take.

Great impact sub as mentioned, just nice to have a player who's not shit scared of the ball.

''Squad'' lovely to have a squad. You could have Sissoko/Cabaye/Marveaux or Ben Arfa all in that creative role just off the striker - with Amalfitano as an outsider. Obviously fitness depending but it's nice.

Great assist today but it really riled me when he didn't track back - obviously that's not his role as a forward but when you see players like Ben Arfa & Cisse tracking back it's a piss take.

mong. we played Stoke, not Barcelona, they weren't really trying to attack us, I didnt really see how it was necessary to exhaust our attacking players on the shit they brought up to our goal area. and have to agree with the haters, marveaux is not very physically gifted, when he can contribute its when he has the ball in his feet.

Edited by Aeris

I wonder if you could play him (moussa) and Cabaye instead of Tiote and have two players who can boss the midfield and get forward.

Then having Marveaux as an outlet once they drive forward to keep the move going.

We are looking really good at the minute until that last quarter of the field. Much prefer to see us then playing on the deck rather than trying to get crosses in to Cisse, particularly as a lot of the crossing seems dreadful.

I'm not convinced Pardew is confident enough to give this a go but I would like to him try it.

Edited by Christmas Tree

mong. we played Stoke, not Barcelona, they weren't really trying to attack us, I didnt really see how it was necessary to exhaust our attacking players on the shit they brought up to our goal area. and have to agree with the haters, marveaux is not very physically gifted, when he can contribute its when he has the ball in his feet.

I think the most important thing is - after we'd lost it - he wasn't arsed & they were primed for a counter attack.

We need to track back when they play it long or counter press when they play it short, everybody needs to try & Marv isn't good enough to be a luxury player.

I wonder if you could play him (moussa) and Cabaye instead of Tiote and have two players who can boss the midfield and get forward.

Then having Marveaux as an outlet once they drive forward to keep the move going.

We are looking really good at the minute until that last quarter of the field. Much prefer to see us then playing on the deck rather than trying to get crosses in to Cisse, particularly as a lot of the crossing seems dreadful.

I'm not convinced Pardew is confident enough to give this a go but I would like to him try it.

There was a lot of decent crossing today but no bugger to challenge for it. Cisse is not the best header & there's nobody else really there to give it a proper go. It's not all about the delivery, Jonas played an absolute peach across the box today & the three lads in the centre didn't know what to do.

It's both really - the crossing is often poor but the man to meet it is poorer.

Seen a few comments recently across forums about how we shouldn't need players tracking back etc.. I think that's a little naive. Yes against teams like Stoke we should go at them but we aren't going to do that for 90 minutes, no-one does so you need players who are willing to defend when it's needed.

Edited by Gejon

There was a lot of decent crossing today but no bugger to challenge for it. Cisse is not the best header & there's nobody else really there to give it a proper go. It's not all about the delivery, Jonas played an absolute peach across the box today & the three lads in the centre didn't know what to do.

It's both really - the crossing is often poor but the man to meet it is poorer.

Thats why we should quit having far wide players upfront! We got plenty of firepower to spend in the centre of midfield and behind strikers, and plenty of players mastering those positions getting wasted - on the men we set to play wide who contributes with little or nothing to scoring goals.

It may have worked with Demba Ba, because he was a tall bastard who could turn shit into gold, but definitely not now.

Edited by Aeris

Good enough today though.

No - not at all - it's about team mentality. It's like having a pall bearer with weak shoulders before a brilliant speach - some of the best teams in the league can afford it but we can't - I think his attitude was poor - but obviously he can't be faulted for his assist,

No - not at all - it's about team mentality. It's like having a pall bearer with weak shoulders before a brilliant speach - some of the best teams in the league can afford it but we can't - I think his attitude was poor - but obviously he can't be faulted for his assist,

It's hard to notice these things when the players off-ball attitude mostly are off-screen :P but still, we don't know how tactics are being prepared, and if some players are being set to track back and others not. In my opinion it was a good trade-off today, and that goal had might not happened if he was too focused on tracking back and getting tired, but thats my silly opinion...

he's a good attacking player, and thats it, maybe he's just good enough to come off the bench, I dont know, but he creates stuff when he plays in the attacking centre and thats why I like him...

Edited by Aeris

Yeah it's the fact he stood perfectly still - like a cocky Messi - that got to me - but I think it may have had a lot to do with the spirit of the game. I think we've been sidetracked a bit anyway - I was very happy with his effort today - just somebody who isn't scared of the ball - neither is Sissoko mind but I think Marv can run nowhere better - if that makes sense.

Yeah it's the fact he stood perfectly still - like a cocky Messi - that got to me - but I think it may have had a lot to do with the spirit of the game. I think we've been sidetracked a bit anyway - I was very happy with his effort today - just somebody who isn't scared of the ball - neither is Sissoko mind but I think Marv can run nowhere better - if that makes sense.

It's good to have somebody who's not scared of the ball, but who also has a decent amount of end products. Sissoko was working for five horses today, but his style is so robust he can't care enough for vision and precision to aim a thread through a defense like Stoke's. That's why he's a box-to-box player and not a creative wizard like Marv and Ben-Arfa, and should've played deeper down with Cab today, perhaps instead of Tiote till we had scored a fair amount of goals utilizing Marv's vision.

Its easy to say in hindsight, but I do believe that should've been Pards plan today, then subbing Marv off for Tiote when he got tired.

Edited by Aeris