NFL Lockout

CleeToonFan

I hate rugby. For one fact, rugby fans are so rare that they are the hipsters of the sporting world. Whenever I come across a rugby fan "You like football, it's for puffs, all us real men like and play rugby". I don't give a shit how "hard" you want to be, your sports shit to watch, it's not tactical and theres a reason the Rugby leagues over here aren't cared about. Then they automatically think they're better than you because of their "manly" sport that's bordering on homoerotic. Rugby may be "pretty" tactical, but it's still the least tactical sport i've ever seen. I know tens of NFL fans my age. I know 1 real rugby fan, and that's rugby union too, which is the least tactical form of rugby.

I think its a bit daft to dismiss a sport you don't follow as 'the least tactical sport'. Have you played rugby? Have you played every sport that isn't rugby?

Don't mean to be rude. :(

Edit: FWIW I'm not a snob about rugby or any other sport. I pretty much enjoy anything that involves a contest. Perhaps the reason I'm starting an argument for the hell of it. ;)

Edited by toonotl

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate rugby. For one fact, rugby fans are so rare that they are the hipsters of the sporting world. Whenever I come across a rugby fan "You like football, it's for puffs, all us real men like and play rugby". I don't give a shit how "hard" you want to be, your sports shit to watch, it's not tactical and theres a reason the Rugby leagues over here aren't cared about. Then they automatically think they're better than you because of their "manly" sport that's bordering on homoerotic. Rugby may be "pretty" tactical, but it's still the least tactical sport i've ever seen. I know tens of NFL fans my age. I know 1 real rugby fan, and that's rugby union too, which is the least tactical form of rugby.

I think its a bit daft to dismiss a sport you don't follow as 'the least tactical sport'. Have you played rugby? Have you played every sport that isn't rugby?

Don't mean to be rude. :(

Edit: FWIW I'm not a snob about rugby or any other sport. I pretty much enjoy anything that involves a contest. Perhaps the reason I'm starting an argument for the hell of it. ;)

Yes I have played rugby, i've played most sports, sure I aint played stuff like Lacrosse but i've played all the main sports, and rugby is the least tactical

Wait just noticed you're Australian, I haven't played Aussie Rules either, although I would like to :D.

Edited by CleeToonFan

It's not a rest, it's so they can decide which play to call. I hate rugby. For one fact, rugby fans are so rare that they are the hipsters of the sporting world. Whenever I come across a rugby fan "You like football, it's for puffs, all us real men like and play rugby". I don't give a shit how "hard" you want to be, your sports shit to watch, it's not tactical and theres a reason the Rugby leagues over here aren't cared about. Then they automatically think they're better than you because of their "manly" sport that's bordering on homoerotic. Rugby may be "pretty" tactical, but it's still the least tactical sport i've ever seen. I know tens of NFL fans my age. I know 1 real rugby fan, and that's rugby union too, which is the least tactical form of rugby.

Totally backdated and ignorant views about typical rugby players :( the majority of the rugby players I know are bang into their football aswell, even the big fat props who can't play the game still enjoy watching it. We even play football in the off season to keep our fitness up. Nobody goes on about how much harder rugby is then football, we're expected to take hits in rugby. Someone slide tackling you and wiping you out when you're running down the wing and you're not expecting it hurts a lot more then a big tackle. The only time I take the high ground over footballers is the way footballers talk to the ref or their own players, honestly, it's a fucking disgrace.

So basically your whole argument is that American Football is better to watch then rugby because it's more tactical? Honestly mate, it's not better. Rugbys full on end to end for 80 minutes, there's too many stoppages in your sport for it ever to be big over here. Besides, you're underestimating how tactical rugby actually is. Fair enough we don't have as many calls as you do, but who knows maybe of we had a few minutes to discuss it may be a more technical game, instead your fly half, hooker or scrum half makes a call and you're supposed to know exactly where the ball is going, and how it's getting there. Sounds like you're just bitter because rugbys abit more popular. ;)

It's not a rest, it's so they can decide which play to call. I hate rugby. For one fact, rugby fans are so rare that they are the hipsters of the sporting world. Whenever I come across a rugby fan "You like football, it's for puffs, all us real men like and play rugby". I don't give a shit how "hard" you want to be, your sports shit to watch, it's not tactical and theres a reason the Rugby leagues over here aren't cared about. Then they automatically think they're better than you because of their "manly" sport that's bordering on homoerotic. Rugby may be "pretty" tactical, but it's still the least tactical sport i've ever seen. I know tens of NFL fans my age. I know 1 real rugby fan, and that's rugby union too, which is the least tactical form of rugby.

Totally backdated and ignorant views about typical rugby players :( the majority of the rugby players I know are bang into their football aswell, even the big fat props who can't play the game still enjoy watching it. We even play football in the off season to keep our fitness up. Nobody goes on about how much harder rugby is then football, we're expected to take hits in rugby. Someone slide tackling you and wiping you out when you're running down the wing and you're not expecting it hurts a lot more then a big tackle. The only time I take the high ground over footballers is the way footballers talk to the ref or their own players, honestly, it's a fucking disgrace.

So basically your whole argument is that American Football is better to watch then rugby because it's more tactical? Honestly mate, it's not better. Rugbys full on end to end for 80 minutes, there's too many stoppages in your sport for it ever to be big over here. Besides, you're underestimating how tactical rugby actually is. Fair enough we don't have as many calls as you do, but who knows maybe of we had a few minutes to discuss it may be a more technical game, instead your fly half, hooker or scrum half makes a call and you're supposed to know exactly where the ball is going, and how it's getting there. Sounds like you're just bitter because rugbys abit more popular. ;)

I'm 17... and i'm talking from experience, like I said I only know 1 real rugby fan, everyone else prefers American Football. I say it's better to watch because it's more tactical, more physical, and more people over here (as well as in the US) watch it on television, and the Wembley games show that 90k people will turn up to a regular season game. I genuinely believe American Football is bigger over here, but I guess that's just because i'm younger and haven't been brought up with the typical "I onli lyk da british gems because da amerikans dnt lyk our sports :icon_lol:" (Ironic when they have the biggest real football amateur leagues and noone outside the commonwealth plays our sports that arent normal football). I don't hate rugby, I just don't like most rugby fans attitudes, when theres a reason noone cares about Rugby outside the World Cup/Arguably Six Nations, and the club scene is pitiful. I guess i'll watch my sport with the other millions of people and you watch yours with your thousands of people, okay? :D

I'm 17... and i'm talking from experience, like I said I only know 1 real rugby fan, everyone else prefers American Football. I say it's better to watch because it's more tactical, more physical, and more people over here (as well as in the US) watch it on television, and the Wembley games show that 90k people will turn up to a regular season game. I genuinely believe American Football is bigger over here, but I guess that's just because i'm younger and haven't been brought up with the typical "I onli lyk da british gems because da amerikans dnt lyk our sports :icon_lol:" (Ironic when they have the biggest real football amateur leagues and noone outside the commonwealth plays our sports that arent normal football). I don't hate rugby, I just don't like most rugby fans attitudes, when theres a reason noone cares about Rugby outside the World Cup/Arguably Six Nations, and the club scene is pitiful. I guess i'll watch my sport with the other millions of people and you watch yours with your thousands of people, okay? :D

Must be your location, I've lived 33 years and known one American Football fan and he is a closet homosexual, 37 noo and he still won't come out, that's why he's so angry all the time. On the other hand I know quite a lot of rugby fans, wouldn't say I'm a fan but if I'm doing fuck all I'll stick the Rugby League on can be quite exciting. American Football is a stain on the word sport imo.

Guest alex

There's about quarter of a million registered Rugby Union players in England alone. It's far, far bigger than 'grid iron' will ever be in this country. That match at Wembley only gets so many fans for 1) the novelty value and 2) the amount of septics living/staying in London at any one time.

There's about quarter of a million registered Rugby Union players in England alone. It's far, far bigger than 'grid iron' will ever be in this country. That match at Wembley only gets so many fans for 1) the novelty value and 2) the amount of septics living/staying in London at any one time.

300,000 within the M25.

Also 300,000 Rugby Union players, and 285,000 registered Rugby League players.

As I said American Football is one of the biggest disgraces in modern society, you have to be a seriously boring cunt to appreciate it.

Guest alex

To each their own like but there's absolutely no way more people in this country like it than Rugby. I think it was only big when it first hit Channel 4 because there was fuck all else on on a Sunday tea-time. It was going up against the likes of Songs of Praise.

I mean look at this...

I just found out that the Knicks have 2 home games that week too! Fuck it, im going to see them, I prefer basketball to Hockey or American Football anyway!

even J69 thinks its wank.

To each their own like but there's absolutely no way more people in this country like it than Rugby. I think it was only big when it first hit Channel 4 because there was fuck all else on on a Sunday tea-time. It was going up against the likes of Songs of Praise.

Aye you're right, even it was in the days when Bullseye was getting 15m viewers that it hit the screen, and there was fuck all else on.

Oz's son even watched it if you remember because Oz brought him back an American Football jacket and got the wrong team, and Oz said what about Nyoocassil United and the youngun gans "rubbish" somethings never change eh?

Don't mean to be rude. :lol:

Edit: FWIW I'm not a snob about rugby or any other sport. I pretty much enjoy anything that involves a contest. Perhaps the reason I'm starting an argument for the hell of it. :rolleyes:

Yes I have played rugby, i've played most sports, sure I aint played stuff like Lacrosse but i've played all the main sports, and rugby is the least tactical

Wait just noticed you're Australian, I haven't played Aussie Rules either, although I would like to ;).

If you've played both and that's your opinion then fair enough. I haven't played Grid Iron so I can't compare the two fairly.

I'm actually a New Zealander so I haven't played Aussie Rules either. Doesn't really interest me to tell the truth. One of the few sports I just really can't get into. It's very stop/start, not my cup of tea.

Aye but you're all older like. Like i'm saying with the younger generation we appreciate it a lot more. It's a smarter game too, so the idiots that like rugby probably can't get their heads around it.

As I said American Football is one of the biggest disgraces in modern society, you have to be a seriously boring cunt to appreciate it.

:rolleyes: Someone doesn't get the rules ey :lol: . Worldwide more people play it than rugby, that can't be ignored, even if in our little Isles there is more older people who snub anything non-British.

Guest alex
Aye but you're all older like. Like i'm saying with the younger generation we appreciate it a lot more. It's a smarter game too, so the idiots that like rugby probably can't get their heads around it.

Ignoring the subjective stuff, rugby is far more popular amongst young people in this country too. Certainly as regards participation and, at a guess, as a spectator sport too. Not sure how you can try and make out people are too thick to understand American Football whilst at the same arguing Rugby Union is the least tactical form of the game either. Not a massive rugby fan either fwiw. Quite like watching international matches like.

Edited by alex

:rolleyes: Someone doesn't get the rules ey :lol: . Worldwide more people play it than rugby, that can't be ignored, even if in our little Isles there is more older people who snub anything non-British.

What a load of complete pish, participants in rugby world wide will out number yank iron or whatever 20:1 thats no exaggeration neither.

What a load of complete pish, participants in rugby world wide will out number yank iron or whatever 20:1 thats no exaggeration neither.

Well let's say a few thousand in Britain and Germany. In Mexico theres thousands, Japan thousands too, we can count Canadian Football as a different form (like union/league) which gets tens of thousands altogether in Canada. That's not counting all the other wee Central American nations. Plus theres a few million altogether in the US. So unless rugby has over 40 million players worldwide (and i'm only counting in actual leagues, I play American Football with my mates but I don't play for a team or anything) your statistics are well off. Besides, most rugby players are in the commonwealth anyway

If it's so popular in this country / worldwide, how come the European league folded after about 5 years?

More than that, and because they're concentrating on the NFL Europe games at Wembley, also I don't think everyone was happy we were just getting the dregs. Theres a lot of Newcastle fans, but if we played in League 2 i'm sure 50000 wouldn't turn up for example

As Alex says, each to their own. There's a few sports I loved playing but couldn't be arsed to watch as a spectator, rugby being one of them, but Christ, American football? I actually seen two 'black dudes' as ToughGuy would say down the coast on sunday chucking a egg shaped ball at each other, Once I heard them talk it was obvious they were Sherman Tanks. The thing is, if you get one or two people, you can have a laugh playing football, World Cup/Three pots in or just cross in for someone to header or volley it past a keeper. All the Yanks can do is throw the ball to each other and catch it. Fucking great fun that, like. TOUCHDOWN!! :lol:

Guest alex

I categorise it a sport for students in this country like. On a par with that similar game played with a fucking frisbee.

If it's so popular in this country / worldwide, how come the European league folded after about 5 years?

More than that, and because they're concentrating on the NFL Europe games at Wembley, also I don't think everyone was happy we were just getting the dregs. Theres a lot of Newcastle fans, but if we played in League 2 i'm sure 50000 wouldn't turn up for example

You've just crossed the fucking line there, like. :lol:

Edited by Howmanheyman

Well let's say a few thousand in Britain and Germany. In Mexico theres thousands, Japan thousands too, we can count Canadian Football as a different form (like union/league) which gets tens of thousands altogether in Canada. That's not counting all the other wee Central American nations. Plus theres a few million altogether in the US. So unless rugby has over 40 million players worldwide (and i'm only counting in actual leagues, I play American Football with my mates but I don't play for a team or anything) your statistics are well off. Besides, most rugby players are in the commonwealth anyway

Rugby is by far the second biggest sport in France, Argentina and Italy to name three, and the Rugby World Cup is the second biggest team sport event in the world. American Football is a wart on Rugby's big cock. If you think more than 2000 people play American Football in this country you're daft. It's probably the most ridiculed sport on earth if the truth be known. 40m is a fair assumption, and no one plays American Football in latin countries. 40m, 500m play football as we know it by the way.

I categorise it a sport for students in this country like. On a par with that similar game played with a fucking frisbee.

"You're so right mate" you are though, it's people who are attention seeking trying to be different, exactly the same as the odd Sunderland fan you find in Newcastle.

Guest alex

Eh? So because they play one game occasionally at Wembley it means there's not enough support for a European league? And that proves it's a popular sport in Europe does it? Erm, aye that makes sense. Also, if it was as popular as you suggest, wouldn't there be enough European players coming through the ranks in order to make up for the fact we only got the 'dregs'? The reason we only got shit US players is because no one plays it in this country or Europe as a whole. And don't say it's a young sport either because it's been on telly here since the early 80s.

As Alex says, each to their own. There's a few sports I loved playing but couldn't be arsed to watch as a spectator, rugby being one of them, but Christ, American football? I actually seen two 'black dudes' as ToughGuy would say down the coast on sunday chucking a egg shaped ball at each other, Once I heard them talk it was obvious they were Sherman Tanks. The thing is, if you get one or two people, you can have a laugh playing football, World Cup/Three pots in or just cross in for someone to header or volley it past a keeper. All the Yanks can do is throw the ball to each other and catch it. Fucking great fun that, like. TOUCHDOWN!! :lol:

More Americans play association football than English people mind :rolleyes:. We used to take an American Football to school, and everyone wanted in when we did. It's genuinely fun "just throwing it about". Not as fun as Heads and Volleys or anything, but I never said once that I preferred American Football over regular football... just some rugby fans on here proving what I first said about rugby. "OMG e's tlkin aboot a sp0rt dat isnt rugby lets tlk aboot rugby anyway its soooo superior"