NFL Lockout

CleeToonFan

As much as I love America, I have to agree that a lot of American's are very insular and deluded about the wider world

And the same with Britain. Someone in my COLLEGE class thought Scotland was on a different island to England!

Not everyones from Grimsby though. Times I've been to Cleethorpes and Blundell Park I've thought oh dear. Good chippy behind the away end though.

We piss on your fish yes we do yes we do :lol: The Mariners you're on about, not too bad actually. Oh come on, those EDL idiots who love "English culture", they don't even spell properly! I was on their facebook page the other day just looking and the stuff they put is so embarrassing! I know it's the same across the UK because I always meet a lot of idiots wherever I go. A lot of nice people and a lot of smart people too. Same in America and anywhere

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I love America, I have to agree that a lot of American's are very insular and deluded about the wider world

And the same with Britain. Someone in my COLLEGE class thought Scotland was on a different island to England!

More true of Americans though. Nothing against them either but most of them have never been abroad even. To pretend otherwise is as bad as saying they're all cunts.

Tooner you know you claim there's a Canadian identity. Can you explain how your accent differs from theirs?

depends on where you are really stevie, there are more people in the states and therefore more regional dialects. the one misguided belief is that ALL canadians say 'hoose or oot" instead of house or out, but that is an eastern canadian trait one that I was unaware of until i moved out here......i don't have an accent by the way... :lol:

Edited by tooner

More true of Americans though. Nothing against them either but most of them have never been abroad even. To pretend otherwise is as bad as saying they're all cunts.

Tooner you know you claim there's a Canadian identity. Can you explain how your accent differs from theirs?

Their accent is hugely different from American, especially in the pronunciation of "about" for example, very wierd and noticable "bout" sound.

That said, when I was in Wisconsin someone asked, based upon my slight Geordie accent, if I was from Alabama :lol:

On the insular thing, at a street market in Chicago someone stated because of my accent I was obviously "not from these parts", when I replied I was from the UK he said he had a friend in Birmingham called John Allan and did I know him !!!

Guest alex

Their accent is hugely different from American, especially in the pronunciation of "about" for example, very wierd and noticable "bout" sound.

That said, when I was in Wisconsin someone asked, based upon my slight Geordie accent, if I was from Alabama :lol:

On the insular thing, at a street market in Chicago someone stated because of my accent I was obviously "not from these parts", when I replied I was from the UK he said he had a friend in Birmingham called John Allan and did I know him !!!

I've had a similar thing. I was asked if I knew someone from Manchester after telling him I was from the north of England.

You can get Cadbury's and B&H in Canada. But they do quite like American sports.

indeed....but only because we've been completely inundated with them for so long....fwiw, i don't class some of them as sports anyway, nascar not a sport, just regular traffic in T.O. on a circular track. Baseball not a sport, anything you can do while drinking a beer does not meet the criteria to be classed as a sport, the americans know this which is why it's called the national "pastime".

I remember me mate saying years ago he went round America on his own, he loved it was away 4 month, he was in some record shop in Philadelphia, and some yank went "thats a wierd accent you got on you bwwwwoy where you from" so he was like the toon, told him lots of famous people connected with the toon, Chas Chandler n the animals etc... mentioned Tony Blair was from near by, and this old yank cunt went "yayaaaah!! Tony Blair!! I'm sure I caught that guys last movie".

Sums them up imo.

You can get Cadbury's and B&H in Canada. But they do quite like American sports.

indeed....but only because we've been completely inundated with them for so long....fwiw, i don't class some of them as sports anyway, nascar not a sport, just regular traffic in T.O. on a circular track. Baseball not a sport, anything you can do while drinking a beer does not meet the criteria to be classed as a sport, the americans know this which is why it's called the national "pastime".

Agreed with Nascar, what a load of bollocks. Baseball i'm not a fan of, but to be fair it is similar to cricket, which you can also do drinking a beer. Baseball can be okay to watch at 3am when nothing else is on ESPN. Toronto does have the Blue Jays too which is odd seeing as its supposed to be the American national thing

Some of the most priveliged people in America spitting out their dummies because they want MORE, while the people that watch it to forget their destitution live through some of the hardest times in generations and prey that one day they'll be able to do the same.

The American dream.

Some of the most priveliged people in America spitting out their dummies because they want MORE, while the people that watch it to forget their destitution live through some of the hardest times in generations and prey that one day they'll be able to do the same.

The American dream.

And they don't have a "class" system apparently, it's disgusting. The Tea Party is the most stupid organisation ever. They have the cheek to call Obama Communist for wanting healthcare reforms? But if the Americans vote the idiots in like they did in 2010, who can blame them?

Guest alex

Tell what I found out recently that was quite funny. All the Republicans trying to make out Obama wasn't born in the US before and since the last election. Check out where John McCain was born.

Tell what I found out recently that was quite funny. All the Republicans trying to make out Obama wasn't born in the US before and since the last election. Check out where John McCain was born.

That's brilliant! Never noticed that before :'). I liked it when they said the small birth certificate wasn't good enough, so Obama brings his real full size birth certificate out. They'll be calling that fake next

That's a little mischievous, he was born on a US military base wasn't he? I think the Republicans were stating Obama wasn't American, rather than stating he wasn't born in the US.

Guest alex

That's a little mischievous, he was born on a US military base wasn't he? I think the Republicans were stating Obama wasn't American, rather than stating he wasn't born in the US.

No, they were actually insinuating he wasn't born in the US as that would make him an illegitimate candidate. As for McCain, I'm not arsed in the least and he seems like a decent bloke but lets face it, that's Panama in all but official lingo.

No, they were actually insinuating he wasn't born in the US as that would make him an illegitimate candidate. As for McCain, I'm not arsed in the least and he seems like a decent bloke but lets face it, that's Panama in all but official lingo.

I dunno, but if that one from Iowa who's a congresswoman (I think) in Minnesota gets the President, i'm officially leaving Western civilization

Really? I thought they were demanding a certificate to prove he was born Hawaiin, not simply that he was born in Hawaii. Fair enough though.

Guest alex

I dunno, but if that one from Iowa who's a congresswoman (I think) in Minnesota gets the President, i'm officially leaving Western civilization

Imagine Palin. Hilarious and terrifying in equal measure.

Guest alex

Really? I thought they were demanding a certificate to prove he was born Hawaiin, not simply that he was born in Hawaii. Fair enough though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13212230

Aye, all to do with the rule that you have to be born in the US to become President. I think it was basically a few nutters clutching at straws like.

Edited by alex

Imagine Palin. Hilarious and terrifying in equal measure.

Oh God Palin would be bad :|. Michele Bachmann was the one I was thinking of, her policies are crazy, but at least she's more intelligent than Palin

Not everyones from Grimsby though. Times I've been to Cleethorpes and Blundell Park I've thought oh dear. Good chippy behind the away end though.

My mate must be the only lad to get chinned home & away by Grimsby fans. The 1-1 draw down there he went looking for me and this other kid and endeed up getting a dig which had his hooter covered in blood. The next game against them at home was the one where Dobbin ended our winning run. He had a freebie in his Gaffers exec box got bolloxed on the house gave some random Grimsby fans some abuse when he was on his todd waiting for a bus outside Gotham Town as he was legless and still sore about his previous encounter, apparently the Grimsby fans looked around looking for some trap, saw a lone pissed Geordie working himself and gave him another couple of digs to add to the previous season's one. Cleethorpes is one fucking dive, it has to be said.

My mate must be the only lad to get chinned home & away by Grimsby fans. The 1-1 draw down there he went looking for me and this other kid and endeed up getting a dig which had his hooter covered in blood. The next game against them at home was the one where Dobbin ended our winning run. He had a freebie in his Gaffers exec box got bolloxed on the house gave some random Grimsby fans some abuse when he was on his todd waiting for a bus outside Gotham Town as he was legless and still sore about his previous encounter, apparently the Grimsby fans looked around looking for some trap, saw a lone pissed Geordie working himself and gave him another couple of digs to add to the previous season's one. Cleethorpes is one fucking dive, it has to be said.

Poor cunt. I was at that 1-1 draw if it was the one where Sheedy scored from an indirect free kick from 4 yards.

Grimsby is a dive, Cleethorpes isn't that bad. The part where Town play is a shithole, but further along its actually a nice place, as is the same with any city/town theres shit and good places. Shame Town have to play in the grimiest place around

I love it when you see their 'Managers' walking about all agitated with a puffed up jacket on with a baseball cap, wireless mic etc. What the fuck are they 'coaching?' :lol:

Baseball = Just hit the fucking ball.

Basketball = put it in the hoop

American Football = Get padded up to the hilt, put a crash helmet on, one bloke chuck a ball for another to catch, the rest of you just run in to each other.

American Sports was originally invented by Beer and hot dog vendors as it takes no effort by the spectators to walk away from the game to stuff your face.

My favourite kind of sport. :rolleyes: