Barcelona

Smooth Operator

Planning a trip to Barcelona next month hopefully, just wondered if anyone had any tips where to stay and sights not to be missed etc, also where's best to get match tickets in advance? And do I stand any chance of getting tickets to their first home game of season?

Cheers.

Edited by Smooth Operator

You can buy tickets online but they don't release them until the season has almost started iirc. You can buy them the day before the match too (might be up until a certain time on the match days itself too - noon mebbies). It doesn't sell out in advance unless it's Real Madrid usually. The Ramblas is pretty crap btw. Also, a good way of getting about the place is the tourist buses which do two loops and you can get on and off as you please. You can buy 1,2 day passes etc. The stadium tour / museum thing is canny but you can't do the tour on a match day I think. There's not a great deal in terms of bars etc. directly next to the ground. The cathedral'll be nice when it's finished btw.

Planning a trip to Barcelona next month hopefully, just wondered if anyone had any tips where to stay and sights not to be missed etc, also where's best to get match tickets in advance? And do I stand any chance of getting tickets to their first home game of season?

Cheers.

At the bottom of Las Ramblas (sp) there's a column with a statue of, I think, Christoph Columbus. You can go to the top of it (it's fuckin' reet wierd due to the size) for a nominal fee. I think it's Barcelona where there's a maritime museum just along the road from that statue - not bad.

There's a fantastic restaurant called The Three Cats (I'll check on that when Mrs Hips comes back in), which is just fantabulous. Everyone who has been there has said the same. Try to get a table on the gantry if possible.

At the bottom of Las Ramblas (sp) there's a column with a statue of, I think, Christoph Columbus.

There's a bar just there which we used to call the leching bar - spent hours there just watching the female world go by with a beer.

Love Barcelona!!

We have used this site a few times for accommodation and they are really good.

http://www.citysiesta.com/en/barcelona/apartments-for-rent/

As has been said watch out for pick pockets!! it is rife over there, saw a Spanish lady having her bag snatched and friends of ours had problems on the underground where a bunch of young girls were being friendly and one of the ladies spotted one of the girls taking a purse out of a bag.

Edited by BigAl

Definetly go to the La Sagrada Famillia, its a phenomenal site. (Its a huge church which started getting built over 100 years ago, if I remember correctly) I also suggest taking a walk up (or down) Las Ramblas. I had my lunch in a beautiful park but I just cant remember the name of it for the life of me. Parc Guell! Thanks Alex. Obviously if you already haven't try and get a tour of the Nou Camp. On my visit I also went to some Olympic stadium of some sort which was old, and perched at one of the highest point of Barca, also great to have lunch on. For shits and giggles go and sit on the worlds largest bench aswell! Or maybe my tour guide was bullshitting us on this occasion. Have fun though! Expensive but very nice place.

EDIT: Parc Guell

Edited by Inglez

I think it's where they held the track and field events at the '92 games, just guessing mind ;)

Parc Guell is worth a look and also has cracking views and one of them buses I was on about drops you off right next to it.

I think it's where they held the track and field events at the '92 games, just guessing mind ;)

Parc Guell is worth a look and also has cracking views and one of them buses I was on about drops you off right next to it.

Parc Guell! Thats the one! Yeah sorry for my limited view, was there 5 years ago and was only young.

went 2 easters ago to watch barca-bilbao

used these folks for tickets as they delivered to our hotel and were much cheaper (then, anyway) than using seatwave/viagogo - had no probs. expect it might be cheaper if you chance your arm on the day but didn't want to risk anything

http://www.barcelona-football-tickets.com/...CFQEd4QodaGusyA

and stayed here

http://www.barcelo.com/BarceloHotels/en-GB.../Sants/Home.htm

was reasonable price and great location as its like staying on top of a tube/train station

did the stadium/museum tour as well - well worth a look, plus all the other touristy stuff mentioned above

servicaixa.com for Spanish football tickets, can just pick them up at the stadium with your bank card like you do with train tickets. I did it for when I went to Atletico Madrid in April.

Couldn't recommend http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-..._Catalonia.html high enough if you're going with your missus. Lovely hotel in the Eixample area and right on the metro. I'd just hostel it if you're going with the lads there are plenty of decent ones.

Go to Cervercia Catalana on Mallorca for fancy tapas and beer, go to La Rueda (Uruguayan steakhouse) or Restaurante Parrilla Alfonsina (Argentinian steakhouse) for beef.

Gan to the beach and deeks the tits too, always plenty out if its sunny.

I'd avoid La Rambla as well like, too touristy. Horrible part of a beautiful city.

Parc Guell is a must, easy to spend a day there. Even approaching it from Baixada de la Gloria is stunning! (Just make sure you get a load of food before you're in the park, seeing as the only cafe there is both packed and a rip off.)

If thats the stadium on Montjuic, it's Espanyols, try do the Shadow of the Wind tour if you're into literature :lol:

That's the stadium, aye. Espanyol don't play there any more though, they moved to a new purpose built one a couple of years ago. The Olympic Stadium is primarily an athletics venue now.

If thats the stadium on Montjuic, it's Espanyols, try do the Shadow of the Wind tour if you're into literature :lol:

That's the stadium, aye. Espanyol don't play there any more though, they moved to a new purpose built one a couple of years ago. The Olympic Stadium is primarily an athletics venue now.

You're right! Shame too, just googled Espanyol, their stadium is nice and all, but it's just one of those generic designs, even though it had a running track, I always liked the look of Espanyols old one.

You're right! Shame too, just googled Espanyol, their stadium is nice and all, but it's just one of those generic designs, even though it had a running track, I always liked the look of Espanyols old one.

It was an old stadium. They just did it up for the Olympics. Don't really like football stadiums with running tracks though (I know what you mean about the new one like). I think they struggled to fill it too.

Some quality gash over there. Be sure to try it, you'll love it

I'll be all over them Latino bitches like white on rice nee bother. Will have to remember to shave me chest tho before i go cos last time i humped a spaniard she was visibly shocked at the hairy torso she was presented with, came round big time though when i dropped me draws and saw what she was dealing with! Ay ay ay!! :lol:

Flight times/prices are a bit crap, easyjet decent times but pricier than imagined and ryanair better prices but absolutely shite flight times as well as hour plus transfer from Girona.