The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Brock Manson

Also went Redguard. Handy with a shield + 1HW. Tried a bow a few times but need to suss out how to quick swap weapons so I can quickly jump back to sword or whatever. No, I dont RTFM ;)

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't particularly like Oblivion and found the first person view annoying and the fighting not brilliant. I have heard great things about this game and have the money to buy myself a new XBOX game. Is it worth it?

yes

yes a thousand times, Ive enjoyed a few really top games this year, BF3, Batman etc etc and this has simply blown them away

Also went Redguard. Handy with a shield + 1HW. Tried a bow a few times but need to suss out how to quick swap weapons so I can quickly jump back to sword or whatever. No, I dont RTFM ;)

use your favourites list (press y in your inventory to favourite stuff) then when you go on it (press up on the dpad) you can hotkey 2 things to left and right on the pad by holding whichever direction you want it to be

I have sword/magic combo on one and my bow on the other, handy

That sounds more like it. :ph34r:

It's cracking like, but seems to suffer much like Red Dead Redemption in that there is, so far, no point in having all this gold.

I bought a horse but he buggered off when I couldn't take him into a city and there's not a whore to be found.

That sounds more like it. :ph34r:

It's cracking like, but seems to suffer much like Red Dead Redemption in that there is, so far, no point in having all this gold.

I bought a horse but he buggered off when I couldn't take him into a city and there's not a whore to be found.

buy a house, keep stuff in it

ridiculous high level gear, once its available, is always pricey too

Yes, Dark Brotherhood stuff just opened up. Fuck the main quest

theyre brilliant, post when youve finished with them, I dont know anyone else who has yet

you need to speak to the Jarls man!

Oh aye some Jarl gave me a woman and the freedom of the city or something like that. I think I killed a dragon for him.

I told the woman to wait somewhere then completely forgot about her. Several days later I got a message saying she had tired of waiting and fucked off. Whoops. Can't hang on to a horse or a woman tbh. Too busy killing and travelling in straight lines.

Level 20ish atm, got my smithing high enough to make some snazzy looking Orc armour, nabbed a couple of the Daedra Artifacts including a swish sword, about halfway through the main quest and have just started a civil war. Probably barely done 10% of the game so far.........

Since this is the first time in 3 days Ive been awake and not playing skyrim I figured I should post about it :P

god this game is good, oblivion was good, one of my all time favourites, this has leap frogged it and just about everything else so far, from a design standpoint its unlike anything I've played, all my criticisms of oblivion have evaporated with this jump in the series though we'll see if that changes after the honeymoon period since this is such a vast experience but damn it all its good.

I don't mind the odd bug and glitch that Im finding because I know they aren't as a result of shoddy work and they'll be patched out as time goes by.

and just for you sonatine, here are some spoiler tags :P

[ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ]

and now some actual spoilers

Dark brotherhood was fucking awesome, I adored their missions in oblivion so when I got the chance to do them I leapt in and didn't stop til they were done, my quest stats are all a bit lop sided now since Ive done 22 DB missons and about 2 or 3 of all the other factions ones but I don't care, they we're great fun and I've come out with some ace gear too.

the last missions on the DB were brilliant, assassinating the emperor, yeh alright! :D wasn't expecting something so...big for what is a non-main-story questline but that was awesome, netted plenty of cash from it too overall

one final thing I want to praise design wise, and I think it was a design choice but when Maro tells you the sanctuary is being sacked while youre in solitude I couldnt fast travel back there, I literally had to run the length of skyrim to get back and dammit I did, great buildup of tension to the big finale.

I'd recommend getting started on the DB line if you're a light armour user as the shrouded armour set they give you is brilliant and even moreso if you are a smith and can upgrade it, properly useful enchantments and looks good too.

weapons wise I've been sticking with a bow on one quick favourite and a flames/sword combo on the other, blocking is for chumps

skills wise obviously One handed, bows, destruction and light armour have bumbled up as Ive been playing but Id say to everyone, stick some time into smithing, its incredibly handy beign able to upgrade your preferred weaponry so that it keeps pace with you and your enemies (or outstrips you if you do it right) you can end up using gear beyond your paygrade if you put a little time into smithing.

looking forward to making that dragon scale armour at some point too

The thing I am usually awful at is making sure I level up in the right areas to create a character who plays like I want him to. Is it easy enough to do? I always tend to end up with someone who is fairly useless in everything rather than someone who has a particular strength.

By the sounds of it, if I want a character who is all brute, all action, all hack-n-slash, then it is perfectly doable?

yep, skills in this one arent limited to stuff you pick at the start of the game before you know whats going on, they just improve the more you use them so if you play as a all action, all hack-n-slash brute then your brutey skills will be the ones improving

as youre swinging swords and taking hits on heavy armour and all that theyll improve

there is also a "guardian stone" system which is sort of like the picking a class of old except that you can go back and chop and change which stone you have active whenever you want, its much less rigid

I think I am just going to give it a go. Got to admit - these things aren't normally for me, but the world of Skyrim just looks absolutely stunning, and I'm sure if I give it enough time then I can really get into it.