Sammy Ameobi

LeazesMag

Re: Shola. With the exception of Keegan, who actively tried to get rid of, i think every manager has been lulled to sleep by the tale of the tape/his measurements ie. 6'3, big framed lad & unpredictable. What he does poorly is play for position, what i alluded to in a post some time ago. Basically has been a poor student of the game, and he's had some fine exponents, of the finer aspects of forward play, to learn from over the years. Keegan probably saw that Shola, from a player development/education angle while taking into account his history and opportunities, was a lost cause.

I was thinking about Ferguson, after that rabble last night. Probably not penetrative enough to be blue-chip winger, but there's enough there in the locker, to suggest that he'd make a serviceable outlet on the edge of defense - when Collo & Taylor are being pressured by defending strikers. We miss Collo & Enrique's combination passing play coming out of the back. Santon (elegant ball user) & Jonas back on their respective & natural flank. Ferguson and Marveux on the left. I know both wide-combinations present as 'unknowns', but in this instance better option than the devil we already know is shite/our current wide set-ups.

Edited by Year Zero

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Sima pointed out, Fat Sam didn't rate Shola either. You do write like a septic btw.

'Tale of the tape'>>> 'list of physical & skill attributes'

'Blue-chip' player or talent >>> top class player/talent.

'combination passing play' >>>> 'one-twos', 'give & go's', *'triangle passing sequences' *with Collo/Jose/Jon being that ball-moving unit/trio.

I've translated a few of those septic-like (I've only ever & briefly worked in, or been a tourist in the US of A) references to a set which is far more palatable to eye. I could always edit that post above, if it makes you feel more comfortable. I think I've seen the 'blue-chip' reference a few times in the mainstream press in Europe, when top class footballers are the subject at hand. It's bang out of order of course. The hardcore & local elements of the football supporter base will have to voice their objection, enmasse, in the appropriate letters sections/radio talkback etc.

***Tongue-in-Cheek Disclaimer***

I vaguely remember an article, and a soundgrab from Fat Sam, where potential suitors were 'warned off' making a move for Shola. It may have been Bolton, I'm not sure.

Usual cliched stuff was offered: "Shola's going nowhere", "he is very much part of my plans", "he is a talented player" etc. Whereas one of KK's missions, that Summer, was to actively get rid of. Speculation of course, given that he had little or no say re- player incomings & outgoing. Simply going by him not fighting the heirachy when an outgoing move was in the works, before it ultimately fell over personal terms/financials etc.

Edited by Year Zero

How Shola got his latest contract is what I find most baffling, it goes well against our so called transfer policy.

I'd start Sammy ahead of him every time.

I'm not sure whether it's the angle of shot, or lighting, but what is that growing in Deano's forehead? It looks like one big haematoma, like the one i saw in a MMA fight a while back. A little Brazilian bloke (Aldo iirc) was dishing out the punishment....................... oh wait, that's just his forehead.

How Shola got his latest contract is what I find most baffling, it goes well against our so called transfer policy.

I'd start Sammy ahead of him every time.

I'm not sure whether it's the angle of shot, or lighting, but what is that growing in Deano's forehead? It looks like one big haematoma, like the one i saw in a MMA fight a while back. A little Brazilian bloke (Aldo iirc) was dishing out the punishment....................... oh wait, that's just his forehead.

Mark Hominick wasn't it? His head was a shambles.

As Sima pointed out, Fat Sam didn't rate Shola either. You do write like a septic btw.

'Tale of the tape'>>> 'list of physical & skill attributes'

'Blue-chip' player or talent >>> top class player/talent.

'combination passing play' >>>> 'one-twos', 'give & go's', *'triangle passing sequences' *with Collo/Jose/Jon being that ball-moving unit/trio.

I've translated a few of those septic-like (I've only ever & briefly worked in, or been a tourist in the US of A) references to a set which is far more palatable to eye. I could always edit that post above, if it makes you feel more comfortable. I think I've seen the 'blue-chip' reference a few times in the mainstream press in Europe, when top class footballers are the subject at hand. It's bang out of order of course. The hardcore & local elements of the football supporter base will have to voice their objection, enmasse, in the appropriate letters sections/radio talkback etc.

***Tongue-in-Cheek Disclaimer***

I didn't need the translation but the bit at the end telling me which of your posts are meant to be funny is handy.

• 2 weeks later...

Was disappointed SammyObi didn't get on last Saturday, having said that, Ben Arfa showed his obvious talent, and now Jonas has signed a new contract.

What are they going to do with 3 predominantly left sided attacking players like that ?

Was disappointed SammyObi didn't get on last Saturday, having said that, Ben Arfa showed his obvious talent, and now Jonas has signed a new contract.

What are they going to do with 3 predominantly left sided attacking players like that ?

Jonas' new deal (four years) gives the club some leverage in the transfer market, and avoids another Enrique scenario.

I'd like to seem him deployed back out on the right (where Keegan first played him/his natural attacking position) with a fit Santon in his preferred RB slot. On paper that amounts to a right sided equivalent of the former Jose/Jonas defensive & ball-playing combination play on the left, something to build on at least.

Jonas is not a good enough ball-striker to have checking back inside - he constantly creates a seperation gap between himself and his marker (so he isn't under pressure) but doesn't kill the oppostion. A valuable ball-playing & carrying outlet to have, to avoid the lump-it forward approach, coming out of defense but doesn't kill sides on the left.

Jonas getting to the byline, and cutting it back into the box, on the right offers the most attacking potential. That cut-back ball, at pace to trailing midfielders lining up to shoot, is the most difficult delivery/final ball (from out wide) to deal with.

Has been misused, at least from an attacking perspective, for the last 3 seasons.

Edited by Year Zero

Jonas' new deal (four years) gives the club some leverage in the transfer market, and avoids another Enrique scenario.

I'd like to seem him deployed back out on the right (where Keegan first played him/his natural attacking position) with a fit Santon in his preferred RB slot. On paper that amounts to a right sided equivalent of the former Jose/Jonas defensive & ball-playing combination play on the left, something to build on at least.

Jonas is not a good enough ball-striker to have checking back inside - he constantly creates a seperation gap between himself and his marker (so he isn't under pressure) but doesn't kill the oppostion. A valuable ball-playing & carrying outlet to have, to avoid the lump-it forward approach, coming out of defense but doesn't kill sides on the left.

Jonas getting to the byline, and cutting it back into the box, on the right offers the most attacking potential. That cut-back ball, at pace to trailing midfielders lining up to shoot, is the most difficult delivery/final ball (from out wide) to deal with.

Has been misused, at least from an attacking perspective, for the last 3 seasons.

I think, what I'm wondering, is with these 3 players, why have they also signed Obertan and Marveau ? They are now overstocked up of this sort of player who can all play in these wide positions.

I certainly think Ben Arfa, Jonas and SammyObi are talented players, so why ? Unless Marveau is the new David Ginola [unlikely and doesn't look it so far]

Pardew has said he sees Ben Arfa through the middle and not on the flanks.

I have no idea what position SammiObi plays-he looks a left footed forward/winger to me, but I've not seen enough. Hopefully he gets more minutes under his belt for us, if not, get him out on loan to a decent Championship side.

Has Marveaux played on the right wing in his career? I know Jonas can play there, he rarely does though.

I think, what I'm wondering, is with these 3 players, why have they also signed Obertan and Marveau ? They are now overstocked up of this sort of player who can all play in these wide positions.

I certainly think Ben Arfa, Jonas and SammyObi are talented players, so why ? Unless Marveau is the new David Ginola [unlikely and doesn't look it so far]

Ben Arfa isnt a winger and Pardew has said he will be played behind the striker, Obertan is right sided, Jonas can play either side, Sammy is a striker and can play on the flank. So pretty different players really

Obertan and Marveau: cheap, available, and ready-made (already secured) replacements for Barton & Jonas (when sold, in the case of Jonas)? The club jumping the gun, showing a bit of rare foresight, although they've travelled down the pre-requisite route ie. the bargain bin?

Disappointing to see Pardew not breaking away from the sibling status quo (based on age & experience), with his selection policy re:the Ameobis. He must be favouring experience at the moment. Based on productivity (and their respective impacts coming off the bench) the current pecking order, and where the siblings sit, seems to way off.

• 1 month later...

Oh aye but Barney's right. Chelsea (at present) would be an awful move for him imo. It would be a career-wrecker as he'd be nowhere near getting those games. Appreciate they'd probably send him out on loan like.

Bit worrying we haven't got him tied up on a new deal yet as well.

Edited by alex

Looks miles-off the finished product. You could see on Saturday his decision making wasn't the best. Loads of potential though.

To me he looked too excited, like he was trying too hard and not showing enough composure. 50k fans and a lot of self-confidence at his age will do that to you.

Like said above, he needs games.

Yeah, he needs playing time. Pardew said he wont send him on loan and he's potentially a top level player-the sort to take us onto another level.

He settled down as the game went on, and he gave Coleman and Hibbert a hard time. There was a bit of unpredictability to his play which can frustrate teammates, but also create chances. I'm thinking of a cross late-on in the game, almost every other player in the league would have looked for the corner.

As a couple have said, Chelsea would(presently) be a really bad move for him.