New York, New York

ajax_andy

Started to plan my own itinerary today. Booked tickets for the basketball and 'football' so I can get an idea of what Yank sporting events are like.

Been to see the nicks. It was almost like the sport was a distraction from all the other shit going on, from cheerleaders, to people trying to sell you shit and competitions like punters throwing baskets for prizes. I liked how you could get shit faced though without having to leave your seat. No waiting at the bar. The beer vendors come to you!

Unfortunately the Knicks aren't at home when I'm there so I'm stuck going to see the Nets. :lol:

BTW, how does the beer thing work? Is your beer passed along the row or what?

Some dude just walks up and down the stairs of the stands with a massive crate of beer and 'soda', shouting 'who's drinking?' you catch his eye and beer is delivered to your seat.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wrong saying Gina Yashere was the unfunniest person to appear on British television. Susan Calman is.

Arrived in the Big Apple today after a terrible flight. In the hotel Metro close to the Empire State tower. First impressions are the skyline misses the twin towers. Secondly, the infrastructure here is shot. Took 1 1/2 hours to get from JFK to here (in comparison it's 15 mins from heathrow to central London by express). Feel wired so off out now......

Just enjoy your holiday you hommer and stop analysing the infrastructure

Fair point! Was feeling a bit tired yesterday but today is going to be great. ANYC is experiencing an Indian summer too - high 20s at the moment. Also this place is cheaper than London or Paris which surprises me.

Edited by Renton

• 1 month later...
I was wrong saying Gina Yashere was the unfunniest person to appear on British television. Susan Calman is.

Arrived in the Big Apple today after a terrible flight. In the hotel Metro close to the Empire State tower. First impressions are the skyline misses the twin towers. Secondly, the infrastructure here is shot. Took 1 1/2 hours to get from JFK to here (in comparison it's 15 mins from heathrow to central London by express). Feel wired so off out now......

90 mins to travel 12 miles that is shocking for a city which rates itself as number one in the world.

We're thinking of going next spring for 3 or 4 days, never been that taken by America like but New York possibly has some appeal, how was the rest of your trip? Did you go to Nevada Smiths?

hotels on manhattan quoted me some eyewatering prices like... try finding a hotel in jersey perhaps.. subway gets u there in notime anyhows

No, really don't find a hotel in Jersey. I stayed in Newark once and it made Sunderland look pretty

"Jersey"

90 mins to travel 12 miles that is shocking for a city which rates itself as number one in the world.

We're thinking of going next spring for 3 or 4 days, never been that taken by America like but New York possibly has some appeal, how was the rest of your trip? Did you go to Nevada Smiths?

Normally takes me about 20mins to get into New York from JFK tbf

Edited by J69

Normally takes me about 20mins to get into New York from JFK tbf

You talk about it like its a trip from Chester Le Street to Birtley.

No, but been 5 times now and its never taken me as long as it did Renton

From the New York Times:

Generally, travel time between the airports and Midtown by taxi or car is 45 to 60 minutes for JFK, 20 to 35 minutes for LaGuardia, and 35 to 50 minutes for Newark. Always allow extra time, especially during rush hour, epeak holiday travel times, and if you're taking a bus.

It takes more than 20 mins to get from Newcastle airport to central station man. Travelling 16 miles on some of the Worlds most congested roads in 20 minutes? Bullshit. There were works on the Freeway when I was there which caused my delay, but that doesn't take away from the vastness of the metropolis.

Anyway, I maintain that NYC is a nightmare to get around. The subway really just travels north to south so isn't that great. Walking and getting taxis are problematic because you have to stop at every other junction.

But aside from that, NYC was amazing. Looking back I wish I'd gone for longer and chilled a bit rather than rushing around like a blue arsed fly, but everyone should make the trip at least once I reckon. That means you Stevie. :thumbsup:

Edited by Renton

The subway really just travels north to south so isn't that great.

Manhattan's only a couple of miles across though, it's not like the east-west distances aren't walkable. We regretted all the walking we did after a while, but that was the height of summer...

From the New York Times:

Generally, travel time between the airports and Midtown by taxi or car is 45 to 60 minutes for JFK, 20 to 35 minutes for LaGuardia, and 35 to 50 minutes for Newark. Always allow extra time, especially during rush hour, epeak holiday travel times, and if you're taking a bus.

It takes more than 20 mins to get from Newcastle airport to central station man. Travelling 16 miles on some of the Worlds most congested roads in 20 minutes? Bullshit. There were works on the Freeway when I was there which caused my delay, but that doesn't take away from the vastness of the metropolis.

Anyway, I maintain that NYC is a nightmare to get around. The subway really just travels north to south so isn't that great. Walking and getting taxis are problematic because you have to stop at every other junction.

But aside from that, NYC was amazing. Looking back I wish I'd gone for longer and chilled a bit rather than rushing around like a blue arsed fly, but everyone should make the trip at least once I reckon. That means you Stevie. :thumbsup:

You are the only person I know who has come back from nyc and moaned cos you got stuck in traffic! Maybe you should holiday in the lakes instead. Nice and quiet and not as many roadworks

From the New York Times:

You are the only person I know who has come back from nyc and moaned cos you got stuck in traffic! Maybe you should holiday in the lakes instead. Nice and quiet and not as many roadworks

Conveniently ignoring my last paragraph there to hide the fact you were talking bollocks by any chance?

20mins might be stretching it. But never took me anywhere near what it took you. Not that I went to new york expecting open roads like. Congestion is pretty much a standard feature of new york. It's part of the charm of the place, it's quicker to walk downtown than get a taxi in rush hour

We just got the Airtrain from JFK to a Subway stop in Jamaica, then the E train all the way to 42nd St., where you can go prettymuch anywhere from. It doesn't stop that much.

It takes about 50 minutes like but from what we've heard it's really not that much longer than in a taxi, and it was a stress free journey to be honest. It's also a lot fucking cheaper.