***Official Mike Ashley Euro express thread***

Baggio

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were back in the Premiership averaging 48,000 people for 2010/2011, so financially what changed between the relegation season and last season? Relegation sets you back financially is an ambiguous statement, I'd like to know what the difference was in terms of revenue streams between 09 and 11.

Its just an estimate this £88m isnt it and it doesnt include the money generated from player sales either i guess? It gets us back to where we were in 08/09 anyway, when our costs were incidentally £98m. Wages, as i've explained many times are based on long term contracts, most of the wage bill in 08/09 was already in place in 07. The financial performance of NUFC in 08/09 has less to do with Ashley and more to do with the previous board. To your point, they were running a budget deficit of Greek proportions. Now we are back to where we were in 08/09 but without the £98m cost base. Soz like Stevie, thats not financial mis-management.

To answer where the decreases and poor performace has come from, its corporate boxes, matchday sponsor prices, deflated advertising market and a low value proposition for potential commercial customers. Mixture of the impact of the recession on the local economy and the decrease in revenue from less sponsors / corporate spending from relegation. Also having an arsehole owner turns off rich fans as well as normal ones. Catering outsourcing has taken a few million off too.

Edited by ChezGiven

As for your point about the £162m Tottenham turnover in comparison to the £90m Shepherd got in 2004, again that is null and void because in real terms European football got richer.

Right, so you want to put some caveats around your comparison or not then?

In 2004 we were the 10th richest club in Europe, in 2012 Tottenham are only the 11th richest club in Europe, revenue streams have went up with inflation, and we because of CHRONIC mismanagement have completely missed the boat since 2007. They are devaluing the club, under Shepherd for a variety of reasons we were a blue chip club. adidas saw what we were become under Ashley, and wanted nothing more to do with us because we are ran like a corner shop.

See above on the financial mis-management. The club went backwards as a football club and is now recovering. Its doing it in a way thats sensible. We've just generated the same revenue we did the year after he took over but this time we are challenging the top of the league and not making a loss doing it. Dont worry i know every single in and out of this argument, back to front and back again. It boils down to this. In some people's opinion, the success this season wont last and trying to run a club within its means will fail. I dont agree with this point of view.

I think you're mixing up issues with Adidas, there is a whole corporate story behind that which is not related to football.

Newcastle were a 50-70% bigger business than Villa, Everton and Sunderland under the previous regime, we're within £7m of all of them now. It's chronic mismanagement of a business but it's alright because we're making a profit eh? The more money you rake in the bigger playing fields you can operate on, but this is almost a side issue to these clowns. It's fucking ridiculous a club like Newcastle have fans who every summer are worried their best players will be sold. We hardly EVER felt like that under Shepherd, we'd look at clubs like Everton and Villa thinking, aye he'd dee, and him, aye him as well, even Steven Carr came to Newcastle because he "wanted to play for a big club", his words not mine. We're ran like a corner shop man. In fact I challenge you to find me a club in the world bigger than say Blackburn who have financially stagnated purely in terms of income more than Newcastle have 2004-2011. We're devalued, we don't have a commercial department hardly, we don't have people building proper ties around the world with organisations like the likes of Everton even have, we're a joke and it's squarely down to Del Boy and fatty continuing to be completely unaware of the potential of the club, and completely unaware how to progress a football club so they can achieve their potential.

We've gone backwards, we got relegated, they were all ahead of us on the pitch and were subsidised. Now that the subsidies to Villa and Sunderland are not forthcoming, they dont seem to be ahead of us anymore. Add player sales in, add the new sponsorship, add better ticket and corporate sales back in and we'll be further ahead of those clubs behind us. If we can get into Europe, it would be another lovely boost.

Am not actually sure what you were expecting, the club never sold millions of shirts in the far east or generated huge incomes outside of the NE and from TV. Its never generated more than £100m has it? As for whether we are building networks and ties around the world, i'd say the scouting department has been doing ok.

Edited by ChezGiven

2003/2004

Turnover

Newcastle United £90.8m (FFS)

Tottenham Hotspur £66.2m (Sugar)

2010/2011

Turnover

Newcastle United £88m (Ashley)

Tottenham Hotspur £162m (Levy)

Pointless debating with pointless old doilums anyway but these figures end a lot of debate about the influence Mike Ashley has had on NUFC. I can't even see a POV where you can stick up for these or explain them away, but some sad cunt will.

Some sad cunt will point out that's a stupid comparison. Our revenue based on a year in the CL was £90.8m but Spurs revenue was £162m. Seems like Levy was able to make £71.2m more out of a season in the CL than Shepherd was, as if that frames the discussion.

All this shows is that relegation sets you back financially and being an arsehole owner pisses off your customers. I don't really think that's been a doubt in anyone's mind.

I agree with Baggio that we will push £100m this year, Europe would have us taking that up another £10m if we manage it.

We were back in the Premiership averaging 48,000 people for 2010/2011, so financially what changed between the relegation season and last season? Relegation sets you back financially is an ambiguous statement, I'd like to know what the difference was in terms of revenue streams between 09 and 11. For starters our turnover was almost stagnant, this despite every club in the Premiership having a huge additional cash injection compared to previous seasons via the new TV deal. So quite obviously our commercial activity is nothing short of a joke, particularly compared to Tottenham. Do you think Shepherd would settle for the pittance these clowns are settling for in terms of advertisement, shirt deals and club sponsors?

As for your point about the £162m Tottenham turnover in comparison to the £90m Shepherd got in 2004, again that is null and void because in real terms European football got richer. In 2004 we were the 10th richest club in Europe, in 2012 Tottenham are only the 11th richest club in Europe, revenue streams have went up with inflation, and we because of CHRONIC mismanagement have completely missed the boat since 2007. They are devaluing the club, under Shepherd for a variety of reasons we were a blue chip club. adidas saw what we were become under Ashley, and wanted nothing more to do with us because we are ran like a corner shop. Newcastle were a 50-70% bigger business than Villa, Everton and Sunderland under the previous regime, we're within £7m of all of them now. It's chronic mismanagement of a business but it's alright because we're making a profit eh? The more money you rake in the bigger playing fields you can operate on, but this is almost a side issue to these clowns. It's fucking ridiculous a club like Newcastle have fans who every summer are worried their best players will be sold. We hardly EVER felt like that under Shepherd, we'd look at clubs like Everton and Villa thinking, aye he'd dee, and him, aye him as well, even Steven Carr came to Newcastle because he "wanted to play for a big club", his words not mine. We're ran like a corner shop man. In fact I challenge you to find me a club in the world bigger than say Blackburn who have financially stagnated purely in terms of income more than Newcastle have 2004-2011. We're devalued, we don't have a commercial department hardly, we don't have people building proper ties around the world with organisations like the likes of Everton even have, we're a joke and it's squarely down to Del Boy and fatty continuing to be completely unaware of the potential of the club, and completely unaware how to progress a football club so they can achieve their potential.

sadly, this is how accountants view things.

Del Boy, Fatty and in fact a number of supposedly Newcastle supporters are also unaware of the size of the club and don't understand football.

Edit.

The sad thing is, in 3 or 4 years time, in a few relegation struggles in the future, all these accountant wannabees, and the anybody but Fred brigade, will still be bickering about all this and insisting the "business is better off" - but not going to games and supporting the team with their own hard cash.

Edited by LeazesMag

Magpies can go fourth

I've mentioned a few times about the all-important fourth spot in the Premier League - and the race is really hotting up.

It's vital for the bigger teams like Arsenal and Chelsea to play continued Champions League football but they have found it tough playing under the increasing pressure mounting on them in recent weeks.

Then there's Liverpool. The Reds have struggled to win at home this season and find themselves four points behind Arsenal who currently occupy fourth position.

This leads me on to Newcastle United. Alan Pardew has done fantastically well this season and are performing admirably in the league.

Demba Ba and new signing Papiss Cisse have come back from the African Cup of Nations and if both manage to hit form again I can see Newcastle clinching fourth spot.

Some would say they have overperformed this season - but for me they are playing without pressure unlike the other three teams, and that could be the key to them going fourth.

Danny Mills

Sky Sports

Apologies for the temporary derail. :)

We were back in the Premiership averaging 48,000 people for 2010/2011, so financially what changed between the relegation season and last season? Relegation sets you back financially is an ambiguous statement, I'd like to know what the difference was in terms of revenue streams between 09 and 11.

Its just an estimate this £88m isnt it and it doesnt include the money generated from player sales either i guess? It gets us back to where we were in 08/09 anyway, when our costs were incidentally £98m. Wages, as i've explained many times are based on long term contracts, most of the wage bill in 08/09 was already in place in 07. The financial performance of NUFC in 08/09 has less to do with Ashley and more to do with the previous board. To your point, they were running a budget deficit of Greek proportions. Now we are back to where we were in 08/09 but without the £98m cost base. Soz like Stevie, thats not financial mis-management.

To answer where the decreases and poor performace has come from, its corporate boxes, matchday sponsor prices, deflated advertising market and a low value proposition for potential commercial customers. Mixture of the impact of the recession on the local economy and the decrease in revenue from less sponsors / corporate spending from relegation. Also having an arsehole owner turns off rich fans as well as normal ones. Catering outsourcing has taken a few million off too.

Yes there's a recession on, so how does that explain us being far far far far away from Everton, Villa and Sunderland yet they've all caught us? The recession is not exclusive to Newcastle There's a lot more to it than a few cunts are on the dole and have chucked their boxes in. In terms of income we are vastly underachieving. I think having been to Asia we did capture that market under FFS, you'd be astonished how many had our shirt. In fact I remember when Gullit was here he said he couldn't believe no matter where you went in the world there was a toon shirt, that was good marketing. Our marketing barely exists now.

Yes there's a recession on, so how does that explain us being far far far far away from Everton, Villa and Sunderland yet they've all caught us? The recession is not exclusive to Newcastle There's a lot more to it than a few cunts are on the dole and have chucked their boxes in. In terms of income we are vastly underachieving. I think having been to Asia we did capture that market under FFS, you'd be astonished how many had our shirt. In fact I remember when Gullit was here he said he couldn't believe no matter where you went in the world there was a toon shirt, that was good marketing. Our marketing barely exists now.

obviously, this recession is exclusive to Newcastle, Stevie, and other parts of the country such as Merseyside are thriving.

Magpies can go fourth

I've mentioned a few times about the all-important fourth spot in the Premier League - and the race is really hotting up.

It's vital for the bigger teams like Arsenal and Chelsea to play continued Champions League football but they have found it tough playing under the increasing pressure mounting on them in recent weeks.

Then there's Liverpool. The Reds have struggled to win at home this season and find themselves four points behind Arsenal who currently occupy fourth position.

This leads me on to Newcastle United. Alan Pardew has done fantastically well this season and are performing admirably in the league.

Demba Ba and new signing Papiss Cisse have come back from the African Cup of Nations and if both manage to hit form again I can see Newcastle clinching fourth spot.

Some would say they have overperformed this season - but for me they are playing without pressure unlike the other three teams, and that could be the key to them going fourth.

Danny Mills

Sky Sports

Apologies for the temporary derail. :)

positive press :o not sure 4th is possible but top 7 europa league shouldnt be a stretch

Everton were earning £60m in 2005, they now earn £75m. In their accounts, they booked £50m from TV in 2010 which explains all of that rise. Their commercial line (shirt sales to the far east etc) has decreased by 30% from 2005 to £9m. Ours has decreased from a peak of £27m to £15m in the relegation season. People stopped buying NUFC shirts as they didnt want to line the fat cunts pockets, now that the commercial implications of that are apparent, he has financially mis-managed the club. :lol:

All other clubs have suffered decreases in commercial and matchday revenue which has been more than offset by enormous rises in TV revenue which is distributed equally across the clubs. As a proportion of club incomes, the % which is driven by the club itself now is less than half for most clubs and far less for others. Sunderland, Villa and Everton have all performed poorly on revenue apart from TV.

In fact, if you substitute the new TV money level of around £50m into the 09/10 accounts (which were based on the financial performance of the club in relegation and can be found here http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20110330/newcastle-united-limited-accounts_2281670_2326465 ) you will get an estimated revenue for 10/11 of £86.4m.

Which is why i asked what the £88m you were quoting was based on? If its 'so called accountants' who know nowt about football and are the sort of mugs that backed Souness, you'd have to question why they only give us an upswing of £1.6m across all other revenue lines from matchday, corporate etc from the relegation season to the first season back in the prem. Maybe thats true based on analysis of attendances and average ticket prices. As said, recovering that to pre-relegation levels (something that Sunderland, Villa or Everton did not go through), would see us with a revenue of £100m based on the 08/09 accounts. Then add in the virgin money, which brings us close to £110m. Then take off the CL money for Spurs which sees them down to £125m, then add in the profit we've made on player sales, which could see us up to £145m.

Does that make you feel better?

Edited by ChezGiven

People stopped buying NUFC shirts as they didnt want to line the fat cunts pockets, now that the commercial implications of that are apparent, he has financially mis-managed the club. :lol:

Not sure why that deserves a laugh tbh. Alienating your entire fan base so much that the majority refuse to buy your product is very much mismanagement surely?

Everton were earning £60m in 2005, they now earn £75m. In their accounts, they booked £50m from TV in 2010 which explains all of that rise. Their commercial line (shirt sales to the far east etc) has decreased by 30% from 2005 to £9m. Ours has decreased from a peak of £27m to £15m in the relegation season. People stopped buying NUFC shirts as they didnt want to line the fat cunts pockets, now that the commercial implications of that are apparent, he has financially mis-managed the club. :lol:

All other clubs have suffered decreases in commercial and matchday revenue which has been more than offset by enormous rises in TV revenue which is distributed equally across the clubs. As a proportion of club incomes, the % which is driven by the club itself now is less than half for most clubs and far less for others. Sunderland, Villa and Everton have all performed poorly on revenue apart from TV.

In fact, if you substitute the new TV money level of around £50m into the 09/10 accounts (which were based on the financial performance of the club in relegation and can be found here http://www.nufc.co.u...2281670_2326465 ) you will get an estimated revenue for 10/11 of £86.4m.

Which is why i asked what the £88m you were quoting was based on? If its 'so called accountants' who know nowt about football and are the sort of mugs that backed Souness, you'd have to question why they only give us an upswing of £1.6m across all other revenue lines from matchday, corporate etc from the relegation season to the first season back in the prem. Maybe thats true based on analysis of attendances and average ticket prices. As said, recovering that to pre-relegation levels (something that Sunderland, Villa or Everton did not go through), would see us with a revenue of £100m based on the 08/09 accounts. Then add in the virgin money, which brings us close to £110m. Then take off the CL money for Spurs which sees them down to £125m, then add in the profit we've made on player sales, which could see us up to £145m.

No and I'll pick holes in it when I have more time. Their turnover is £82m now by the way not £75m, just £6m less than ours with 15,000 fewer people coming through the gates.

In fact, if you substitute the new TV money level of around £50m into the 09/10 accounts (which were based on the financial performance of the club in relegation and can be found here http://www.nufc.co.u...2281670_2326465 ) you will get an estimated revenue for 10/11 of £86.4m.

Good post Chez, I see us getting £40 million for last seasons tv money as Sunderland picked up £39m for coming 13th and Bolton £38m for coming 14th the year before, so perhaps the rise is a boost in commercial activities with being back in the Premiership.

The good news is this year we will be looking at another £6m for our league position plus as you say the Virgin sponsorship deal, then hopefully the following year we can boost it even further if we get Europe (Fulham made £12m from it)

It's also worth pointing out that while Villa and Sunderland have made improvements in closing the gap in regards to turnover, we're expecting to break even while they made losses of £38m and £28m respectively.

People stopped buying NUFC shirts as they didnt want to line the fat cunts pockets, now that the commercial implications of that are apparent, he has financially mis-managed the club. :lol:

Not sure why that deserves a laugh tbh. Alienating your entire fan base so much that the majority refuse to buy your product is very much mismanagement surely?

Bingo.

People were pointing out that it would be the club that would suffer financially when fanzines and supporters clubs were telling fans to boycoutt club shops and confectioneries, so it seems daft to complain about it now now it's actually happened.

Incorrect alex, that mis-management of the club, not financial mis-management which is when you spend more than you earn. It deserves a laugh because its ironic not that i need to justify a smiley.

And Stevie what exactly are you going to pick apart? Its a reading of basic income streams, theres nothing to debate until the next accounts come out.

Incorrect alex, that mis-management of the club, not financial mis-management which is when you spend more than you earn. It deserves a laugh because its ironic not that i need to justify a smiley.

And Stevie what exactly are you going to pick apart? Its a reading of basic income streams, theres nothing to debate until the next accounts come out.

Mis-management of the club with massive financial implications then. Semantics tbh.

Edited by alex

not to some, it would appear. Spot on that like.

Mis-management of the club with massive financial implications then. Symantics tbh.

Semantics tbh. Not really no, very separate things. The club was managed disgracefully and we were relegated. Since then the club has returned to revenue levels seen in 08/09, does not have a cost level over £10m more than revenue and is challenging the top half instead of fucking about lower mid table. If you use 08/09 as your reference point, the finances are much better now and are moving in the right direction. I would never argue that the period represented good 'management of the club'.

Mis-management of the club with massive financial implications then. Symantics tbh.

Semantics tbh. Not really no, very separate things. The club was managed disgracefully and we were relegated. Since then the club has returned to revenue levels seen in 08/09, does not have a cost level over £10m more than revenue and is challenging the top half instead of fucking about lower mid table. If you use 08/09 as your reference point, the finances are much better now and are moving in the right direction. I would never argue that the period represented good 'management of the club'.

at the moment they are in the top half. How long do you think this will last, while selling our best players and withholding the money from the manager to build the best side possible ? This is football related, for a moment Chez ?

Edited by LeazesMag

People were pointing out that it would be the club that would suffer financially when fanzines and supporters clubs were telling fans to boycoutt club shops and confectioneries, so it seems daft to complain about it now now it's actually happened.

People weren't deciding to boycoutt without provocation. It's a ridiculous notion that people should lap up whatever Ashley chooses to do with the club and keep throwing their money into something they don't condone. Or that Ashley should be oblivious to the financial implications of those unpopular off field choices.

That seems very daft.

It makes me laugh to see people state matter of factly what a good job Ashley has done with our finances in the face of lost income from relegation, reduced tv money, a slump in shirt sales, less advertising, less corporate, less ticket sales etc. as if all those reductions were beyond his control, rather than a direct result of his actions.