Best Album of the Year

Happy Face

I don't get the Kurt Vile album at all....his voice just annoys me. Sounds like a whiney teenager throughout. The screams on Shame Chamber were the only point on the album where the vocal appealed to me.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone heard the strypes album? i was well impressed with them on the glastonbury highlights i saw. really tight band, good tunes plus they all looked about 12. an intriguing outfit.

anyone heard the strypes album? i was well impressed with them on the glastonbury highlights i saw. really tight band, good tunes plus they all looked about 12. an intriguing outfit.

Not out yet is it?

Think they have an EP

I don't get the Kurt Vile album at all....his voice just annoys me. Sounds like a whiney teenager throughout. The screams on Shame Chamber were the only point on the album where the vocal appealed to me.

It's great, man. If the weather stays nice, just leave it on in the background and lie about.

Would add in to those already mentioned (in which the best of the year are included).

Various - Think & Change (non-plus records)

DJ Koze - Amygdala

Rhye - Woman

Blue Hawaii - Untogether

Baths - Obsidian

Mano Le Tough - Changing days

Maximillion Dunbar - House of Woo

Shlomo - Laid out

Lady - Lady

Quadron - Avalanche

Eleanor Friedberger - Personal Record

Got to listen to the new James Holden and Pearson Sound albums.

I've actually spent a lot of time listening to old vinyl this year but i get to listen to a lot of new stuff when i'm traveling. I usually buy 3 or 4 albums before a trip to give me something to look forward to on the journeys.

This. Would be really good stuff if it was all instrumental. Awful vocals, both in terms of lyricism and delivery.

Anyway, new Letlive is out next week, I imagine that'll feature highly in my end of year list.

I really like the Kurt Vile album. I've never got into anything else of his but I think it's really perfect for the summer.

The Nic Cave and Suede albums are really good too.

The National, Atoms For Peace, John Grant and Bonobo are all slightly disappointing while all still being good.

I really like the Kurt Vile album. I've never got into anything else of his but I think it's really perfect for the summer.

The Nic Cave and Suede albums are really good too.

The National, Atoms For Peace, John Grant and Bonobo are all slightly disappointing while all still being good.

The National's album is class mate... I didn't like it at first but it's a real grower... their best album IMO and also the best album of 2013 so far (that I've heard anyway).

As for Kurt Vile? I was listening to some of his stuff last year and the wife walked in the room and paused, looked at me confused and said "what the fuck are you listening too?!" Pretty much sums him up really... either you get it or you dont. Personally I agree with her as his voice is bloody awful but I can't help listening to 'Jesus Fever' which is actually a mint song.

Anyone know the name of the band he used to be in? I thought that were actually pretty good... I think actually they were called 'The War on Drugs' possibly?

Aye it's /alright/ basically if you played it with the other albums it'd blend in, problem with is i'm struggling to find a standout track on it.

There's no 'go with the flow' or 'lost art of keeping a secret' I'll admit but seems a bit more well rounded than previous albums imo.

The National's album is class mate... I didn't like it at first but it's a real grower... their best album IMO and also the best album of 2013 so far (that I've heard anyway).

As for Kurt Vile? I was listening to some of his stuff last year and the wife walked in the room and paused, looked at me confused and said "what the fuck are you listening too?!" Pretty much sums him up really... either you get it or you dont. Personally I agree with her as his voice is bloody awful but I can't help listening to 'Jesus Fever' which is actually a mint song.

Anyone know the name of the band he used to be in? I thought that were actually pretty good... I think actually they were called 'The War on Drugs' possibly?

Still can't get past Alligator as the best National album. It's the only one where they mix it up with some more faster pace ones like Abel and Mr November. But I love them all tbf.

For some reason this time around Kurt Vile has just clicked with me. Previously I probably would have had the same opinion as your mrs.

Still can't get past Alligator as the best National album. It's the only one where they mix it up with some more faster pace ones like Abel and Mr November. But I love them all tbf.

For some reason this time around Kurt Vile has just clicked with me. Previously I probably would have had the same opinion as your mrs.

Kurt Vile's album does get good reviews so I'll give it a go :)

Half Moon Run - Dark Eyes... Really good album! Just listened to it for the 1st time the other day and it really is top notch. Kind of loses its way towards the end sadly but the 1st half in particular is just spot on.

Kind of Macabee's with a bit of Radiohead thrown in for good measure

• 1 month later...

Still got a huge list of music to get through but here's my "Heard and Liked" list

Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of The City
Uncle Acid and The Deadbeats - Mind Control
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
The Knife - Shaking the Habitual
Kurt Vile - Walkin on a Pretty Daze
Jim James - Regions of Light and Sound
Kanye West - Yeezus
Justin Timberlake - 20/20
David Bowie - The Next Day
William Tyler - Impossible Truth
Disclosure - Settle (at least, half of it)
Inc. - No World
Autre Ne Veut - Anxiety
Parquet Courts - Light Up Gold
Villagers - Awayland
Laura Marling - Once I was an Eagle
The Dear Hunter - Migrant
is Tropical - I’m Leaving
QOTSA - Like Clockwork
Run The Jewels - S/T
Peace - In Love
Thee oh Sees - Floating Coffin
Bosnian Rainbows