Coloccini

henda11

Don't see why his age would be a problem, definitely got another 3 years or so in him. It's not like he ever had lots of pace or anything.

Will need a replacement in the long-term but for now he has to be kept. We couldn't afford to buy another player of his quality and by all accounts he's a great captain.

It absolutely shouldn't be if you're just considering him in isolation. He's easily worth his wages given the standard of defenders we're used to, the guy is just class.

The problem is it's not in isolation-if he's renewed at £80k that has to be about £30k more than the unofficial cap, and about £70k more than many players will be earning. That then becomes the prescedent they point to when they're looking to re-negotiate. If it had the knock on effect that everyones wages went up by £10k per week across the first team, that's an extra £5 million per year for the same players. That's not me saying we shouldnt move heaven and earth to keep him, just saying how i reckon FMA views it in his head and he's the one holding the purse strings.

Got to be creative as far as I'm concerned. Offer him a new deal that accords with the cap but build a massive loyalty bonus into it which is distinct from wages.

The problem is it's not in isolation-if he's renewed at £80k that has to be about £30k more than the unofficial cap, and about £70k more than many players will be earning. That then becomes the prescedent they point to when they're looking to re-negotiate. If it had the knock on effect that everyones wages went up by £10k per week across the first team, that's an extra £5 million per year for the same players. That's not me saying we shouldnt move heaven and earth to keep him, just saying how i reckon FMA views it in his head and he's the one holding the purse strings.

I think this is the key point- the precedent it sets for other players. I still expect us to be touting him around in this window and in the summer. The club will be aware some clubs have defensive issues and will be doing their best to cash in now.

Which is depressing, as the guy is just immense.

I think this is the key point- the precedent it sets for other players. I still expect us to be touting him around in this window and in the summer. The club will be aware some clubs have defensive issues and will be doing their best to cash in now.

Aye agreed. If he goes I'll be devo'd. I resigned myself to losing all players earning over £50k come renewal a while back (I found I could just about come to terms with this in Smith's case) so I've always took the view Colo would eventually be away, but the more he plays the more you struggle to see how we could possibly replace him. Enrique was a big blow because he's a class player, but tbh we could have 'masked' that to a degree even with a standard replacement, because full back isn't a huge position to fill. (We didn't as it happens but that's a different matter, the point is we could have done). In Colo's case however centre half is absolute linch pin and to lose him specifically means you're 90% certain of weakening yourself as a unit.

Aye agreed. If he goes I'll be devo'd. I resigned myself to losing all players earning over £50k come renewal a while back (I found I could just about come to terms with this in Smith's case) so I've always took the view Colo would eventually be away, but the more he plays the more you struggle to see how we could possibly replace him. Enrique was a big blow because he's a class player, but tbh we could have 'masked' that to a degree even with a standard replacement, because full back isn't a huge position to fill. (We didn't as it happens but that's a different matter, the point is we could have done). In Colo's case however centre half is absolute linch pin and to lose him specifically means you're 90% certain of weakening yourself as a unit.

Think we have to keep him. I mean we have to.

Was mucho fabuloso again last night. Probably my favourite player at the club.

That little back flick he did at the end.. :lol:

Aye, then Tiote took the piss similarly straight after (he was immense too last night and back to his very best). Great to see anyway but especially doing it against those cunts.

Aye, then Tiote took the piss similarly straight after (he was immense too last night and back to his very best). Great to see anyway but especially doing it against those cunts.

Watched the game again this morning with a huge bacon buttie and a 3 sugar tea.

Think we have to keep him. I mean we have to.

There hasn't been a lot of speculation about him going but if he doesn't sign a new deal soon he'll be away come the summer (at the latest) imo.

Watched the game again this morning with a huge bacon buttie and a 3 sugar tea.

Just what I need. :( Cant remember the last time being this hungover.

• 2 months later...

“It’s disappointing,” Coloccini told the Gazette. “I don’t know how bad it is yet. I have a scan on Tuesday, and I hope it’s not bad. We’ll see.

“Maybe I will miss the Liverpool game. If it’s a little strain, it’ll be 10 days, but I will give everything to be there on the pitch.

“Of course, I don’t want to take a risk. Maybe I get a worse injury if I take a risk, and could be out for three or four weeks.

“We’ll see what happens. I always want to play – we’ll see what the scan says.”

Increasingly taking the view we just need to get in a big first rate athlete alongside Colo now, particularly if we're keeping hold of him for the next few years. Getting into his 30's he needs a big athlete to neutralise the athletic forward line threat (theres far more of these knocking about the Prem than there are actual talented finishers), while he uses his judgment and mops up using actual footballing nous.

For all the highs and lows this season (net being very, very positive), this is a position we've scrimped on. The major thing has obviously been to get Colo signed up to a new deal but Willo is an absolute liability at this level and has and will continue to cost us points as long as he gets starts. S Taylor has come on immeasurably alongside Colo despite being in my mind nothing more than a relatively average PL centre half but Willo is a bridge too far as his limitations sadly just cant be dragged up far enough by Colo to meet the basic required standard of acceptability. As I say, for me a decent athlete is the priority and for that reason it shouldn't be a massive ask as far as recruitment is concerned; theres dozens of them about and very few Colo's.

I think they definitely want one and it seems to be out of Yanga-M'Biwa and Douglas if rumours are to be believed.

We've seen with a striker search that they are prepared to wait for the right man to come along and with none of those 2 available in January they've chosen to do the same again, it was a risk as Colo could have picked up a serious injury 6 weeks ago and we would have been fucked but hopefully it comes off for us.

Without Colo I could see their forward line getting plenty of opportunities. Relieved that Tiote will be back and while it's a shame to change the formation that did so well in the first 45 against WBA I think we have to provide more protection to the back line than 3 central players would afford.

most important player in the team. shame we don't have him against liverpool as otherwise we'd be taking them on with an almost first choice 11. as it stands, we're missing our two first choice centre halves.

most important player in the team. shame we don't have him against liverpool as otherwise we'd be taking them on with an almost first choice 11. as it stands, we're missing our two first choice centre halves.

If Tiote and Cabaye can wrest control of the midfield and/or HBA, Cisse and Ba can be clinical we can definitely outscore them, however I just cannot see us keeping a clean sheet without either of our 1st choice centre halves