Ronaldo --- the end

tinofbeans

Loved that first goal in the 2002 WC final. Because, amongst other reasons, Hamann was dispossessed after doing his usual trick of going down easily when pressured from behind (fnarr, fnarr) which the wily Colina was wise to and because Kahn spilled the shot that lead to the goal. I also backed Brazil (£10 at 9/1, pre-tournament) and my future brother in law had a fiver on Ronaldo to get the golden boot at about 25/1. Suffice to say we enjoyed the final.

• 4 years later...

The Italian Football Hall of Fame announced Ronaldo as their new inductee, and he without a doubt deserves the added plaudits. I simply loved watching him and Roberto Carlos when I was a youngster.

oifa8g.jpg

"As a kid I'd wake up at 9am in Brazil to watch the games."

"My history is beautiful because I can say I played in Italy."

Currently part owner of my local team (Ft. Lauderdale Strikers). When he first signed on last year it was seen as just a big publicity stunt. He showed up to one game but that was about it. Story goes that the team lost out on a sponsor due to him failing to make an appearance at some event. Since then, he has taken a front seat to things and is actively helping in the running of the club as well as making the club known in Brazil.

Edited by AmericanMag

Mark Anderson went to school with my wife

Really liked Anderson while he was here. Good player who would come out and meet the fans after the games. We would sing "Walking in a Geordie Wonderland" when he would score. Shame that he is a Man Utd supporter.

Know a bloke (friend of my Dad) who used play for Ft. Lauderdale Strikers (mainly a squad player) back in the NASL days. He still lives there.

Sometime in the 1977-1983 years? Wish I could have been there to see those players on the field... Best, Hudson, Muller. Today's scene is a far cry from those days unfortunately.

Sometime in the 1977-1983 years? Wish I could have been there to see those players on the field... Best, Hudson, Muller. Today's scene is a far cry from those days unfortunately.

Sorry, missed this reply. Checked with my Dad. It was that era, aye. Bloke in question never actually played for the first team in a competitive game but blagged his way into the set-up due to lying about being a former Newcastle player (played for Newcastle boys :lol: ) and the Geordie connection with Rocky Hudson. Did play a decent standard in the indoor leagues though and the level below NASL at that time. He played against quite a few players who played in various World Cups as there were loads of them went over there who went to the US at the end of their career. He ended up working as a maintenance supervisor for Princess Cruises.