The Day The Promises Had To Stop

LeazesMag

Mucky Quinn's book was the last football book I read, worth a read if you want to hear about his life on the piss every day.

I think it was Sir John Hall that phoned up during a pre match team talk and told him he will give him a crate of champaign for every goal he scored that day, he got 2 while another went down as an own goal and when he got back to the changing rooms they were waiting for him.

Keegan was seething that SJH done it apparently.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Books I really liked (apart from the ones mentioned)

• Kevin Keegan's Autobiography is quite revealing, speaks his mind there. The chapters concerning his departure at NUFC and his Liverpool time are particularly intriguing.
  • I don't really like players' autobiographies, nor do I like Gary Neville, but his book is decent stuff. One of the better ones.
  • Recently published: A book about both Clough and Revie, looks promising, haven't read it yet though. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clough-Revie-Changed-English-Football/dp/1845966600

As for the "The Day The Promises Had To Stop" – will start reading it today.

• Kevin Keegan's Autobiography is quite revealing, speaks his mind there. The chapters concerning his departure at NUFC and his Liverpool time are particularly intriguing.
  • I don't really like players' autobiographies, nor do I like Gary Neville, but his book is decent stuff. One of the better ones.
  • Recently published: A book about both Clough and Revie, looks promising, haven't read it yet though. http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/1845966600

do you have the book about Clough and Revie ?

61AdzlxPINL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I got bought the above when it first came out when I was a young un, runs to 1990. I think it's class and a great way for kids to find out about the history. It's basically a big comic book and I've kept a hold of it as I'm going to give it to the bairn.

• Recently published: A book about both Clough and Revie, looks promising, haven't read it yet though. http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/1845966600

Yes I do. Bought it at the Backpage back in August iirc.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned it but you may want to read Moneyball Leazes. Amazing book about making the 'small market' Oakland A's MLB team competitive. Best sports book i've ever read.

Got the film to watch. I understand they don't actually win anything though.

Yes I do. Bought it at the Backpage back in August iirc.

I realise its opinion, but what is it like ?

There are so many books on Clough now, I think I've got the 2 or 3 best ones ?

Edited by LeazesMag

I haven't read it yet, but there was a review on it in "When Saturday Comes" I believe. Also checked at Amazon where the average ratings seemed rather impressive.

I think the best one is "Provided you don't kiss me". Which ones have you read?

61AdzlxPINL._SL500_AA300_.jpg I got bought the above when it first came out when I was a young un, runs to 1990. I think it's class and a great way for kids to find out about the history. It's basically a big comic book and I've kept a hold of it as I'm going to give it to the bairn.

I got this as a present, probably a bit old for it at the time but it was like one those NUFC things that Grannies/Aunties/Mothers think, 'Eee, our David would like that'. :D

I haven't read it yet, but there was a review on it in "When Saturday Comes" I believe. Also checked at Amazon where the average ratings seemed rather impressive.

I think the best one is "Provided you don't kiss me". Which ones have you read?

that is good. I also have this and haven't read it yet

15410153607.jpg

but this is the best football book I have ever read. I'm fascinated by Peter Taylor's ability to judge players, he says a bit about it but in essence he just had a God given gift.

51NHRw6p4CL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by LeazesMag

Don't know if anyone's mentioned it but you may want to read Moneyball Leazes. Amazing book about making the 'small market' Oakland A's MLB team competitive. Best sports book i've ever read.

Got the film to watch. I understand they don't actually win anything though.

Narh but to even get to the playoffs in the MLB is unbelievable for a team like that.

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/baseball/mlb/salaries/team

That's the payrolls for last year in the MLB (not much different to back when Moneyball was first written), the A's narrowly missed out to the Yankees in the playoffs under Billy Beane. Unbelievable stuff.

Clearing out the garage? ;)

did 1,000 copies on a 50;50 deal with printers, trying to make money for PMAFC to replace clubhouse roof.

sold about 700 copies (about half at £10 when we sold them directly & half at £6 via other agencies or at discounted price after a year).

thus made just over £2k towards roof fund (work starts ends of this season).

still got a couple of hundred left; prepared to give them away as a loss leader - it's a good cause & if people get something for nothing, they may donate something as a thank you or take in a game.

doesn't cost us anything (well apart from £1.23 postage for each copy sent out) & may raise profile of club & make a couple of bob.