Historical sites and Museums in Newcastle/NE

Kevin S. Assilleekunt

I'm going to Scotland during the first week of March, so I'll be passing through the North East and will probably stop over in Newcastle for a day or two. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good historical sites or museums to check out while I'm in Newcastle. I'm not going to Middlesborough again--I went to Auschwitz/Birkenau recently and honestly it wasn't half as upsetting as staying in Middlesborough, there's something about that place that gets to me.

Bamburgh Castle is well worth a visit. It's obviously not in Newcastle though, but I'm assuming we're taking in the surrounding area too. I went to Edinburgh Castle and Bamburgh Castle quite recently, and Edinburgh is a huge disappointment in comparison to Bamburgh.

Edited by Gemmill

Bamburgh Castle is well worth a visit. It's obviously not in Newcastle though, but I'm assuming we're taking in the surrounding area too. I went to Edinburgh Castle and Bamburgh Castle quite recently, and Edinburgh is a huge disappointment in comparison to Bamburgh.

Funny you should say that but I had the present Mrs PL (she'd never been north of Birmingham) up visiting my folks at xmas and new year and she was looking forward to seeing Edinburgh Castle, which turned out to be even duller than I'd remebered it as a bairn.She was a bit unimpressed as well. A day or so later we went for a spin down the Northumberland coastal route and she could see Bamburgh Castle from around Beadnell Bay. It didnt really prepare her for coming over the brow of the last hill before the villaige and seeing it sat there, towering above everything in the area.I'd sort of forgotten a bit about it too, having known the area well when I was a kid. We went on to the beach, it was at dusk in late December and the whole place had a completely otherworldly feel to it.The castle looked stunning lit up above the beach with the moon rising above it. We couldnt get in for a look but we're going up in a couple of weeks and are going to visit it again probably the day before we play the mackems.

WP_000034.jpg

WP_000027.jpg

Suffice to say the missus is now in love with the Northumberland coast and is currently being talked into moving to somewhere like Alnmouth if/when my job moves north later this year, which is only a possibility at the moment but looking increasingly likely to happen.

KSA , if its history you want just stop off anywhere between Newcastle and Edinburgh and you'll find it lying around everywhere.The Tyne valley and Hadrians wall are worth seeing,Rothbury and Cragside are great, Berwick is well worth a look, follow the Tweed up to Coldstream etc etc. Go up to Edinburgh from there or keep to the river and head further upstream, theres loads to see.

Not been to the Beamish Mueseum near Chester-le-Street since I was a kid but if Victorian and Edwardian vilage life in the North East floats your boat then that may be worth a look. I saw Portillo on the TV visiting the Pitman Painter's exhibition a few weeks back and once I'd turned the sound downon the great steaming orange shit head the paintings looked brillaint, all done by the miner's themsleves in the 20s.

Cragside is a good shout, as are Housesteads and Vindolanda on Hadrians Wall.

In the City, you'll be able to visit the Keep, Blackfriars (13thC Dominican Chapter House), and the West Walls in a good morning.

The Hancock ( Great North Museum) , now houses the Museum of Antiquities collection- its free, but give the ropey stuffed animals a miss when you first go in.

Chillingham Castle is worth a visit, and the Chillingham Herd, but you'd have to check its open at this time of year.

Beamish costs a fortune though, if you want to see life in Victorian Britain head to Pennywell. It's free and if you wear shoes the locals will think you're some kind of God.

If you wear glasses though give it a wide berth, Pol Pot has nowt in this lot

Secondly, and I forgot to put this in the original post, do you know where I can get some high-quality cowies in Newcastle?

As mentioned, the Chillingham Herd.

Castle Keep is definitely worth a visit like. For the view from the top as much as anything else. And as CT mentioned, Durham Cathedral is worth checking out.

I love the Keep, shame the Victorians built a fucking big railway right through the middle of the castle Garth.

Has anyone been inside the Black Gate? There used to be a bagpipe museum in there, but it seems closed to the public now. I'd love to have a nosey round it.

I love the Keep, shame the Victorians built a fucking big railway right through the middle of the castle Garth.

Has anyone been inside the Black Gate? There used to be a bagpipe museum in there, but it seems closed to the public now. I'd love to have a nosey round it.

Aye, it's crazy to think of that really. You'd like to think that wouldn't be allowed now. T. Dan Smith did a similar number of a lot of Grainger Town.

Dunstanburgh and Warkworth (especially the former) are good if you're after 'proper' castles, albeit ruined. Bamburgh is basically a Victorian folly iirc, although it's on the site of a fortress dating back to Viking times at least.

I don't know if anyone follows that 'I love Ncl' feed on twitter, but that put together an article about the 5 best free places to visit in Newcastle. There was the Angel of the North, Tynemouth, Hadrian's Wall, The Baltic, and the Sage. Now, remind me which one of these is in Newcastle again? There's a 6 foot section of the wall at the very end of the West Road I'll give them that one, sort of.