Demba Ba

Kid Dynamite

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh hello. Sounds like there's a new deal on the table.

http://www.sundaysun...9310-30810487/?

NEWCASTLE United are more confident than ever that Demba Ba won’t activate the buy-out clause in his contract and will stay at St James’ Park.

The Sunday Sun believes recent talks between the club and their Senegalese striker have gone well and there is now a much better chance of him not leaving in the summer then was expected a few months ago.

A clause in 26-year-old Ba’s contract, first publicly revealed by Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp in January, means he could leave for £7m – with the player himself in line for a sizable chunk of that fee – and clubs would be allowed to speak with him after this season ends.

Paris Saint Germain, now owned by an oil rich Qatari consortium, promise to be European football’s biggest summer spenders and Ba is one of their main targets.

Redknapp himself is also clearly interested in a player who transformed his career following his move from Upton Park as a free agent 10 months ago.

Indeed, only last week the former West Ham United man, who has scored 16 Premier League goals for Newcastle since his Bosman move last summer, admitted he would welcome a move to the French giants.

“It’s always a dream for me to play one day at PSG, but I’m really happy where I am in Newcastle,” Ba told reporters.

It did seem then that there would be little Newcastle could do to keep their man and, of course, clubs will at least ask the question of Ba in the summer transfer window.

The good news for the Toon Army, however, is that behind the scenes talks have progressed well and Ba is closer than ever to extending his stay on Tyneside longer than just one season.

A Newcastle source confirmed that while there remains a chance Ba would leave, especially as it could net him a fortune, he has indicated to manager Alan Pardew that his immediate future could still be at the club, especially after such a fantastic season on a personal level.

Ba was voted the best signing of the 2001/12 season by the Premier League managers only last month.

He signed a three-year deal last June and has made a stunning impact, becoming a vital player in Pardew’s frontline.

Ba scored a hat-trick against Blackburn Rovers in September as he bagged his first goals for Newcastle and was named December’s Player of the Month.

His form has dipped slightly since he returned from the African Cup of Nations in February; Ba’s goal against Aston Villa on his return being his last effort to find the back of the net.

I thought he was outstanding yesterday fwiw - and if we do end up finishing as high as we are able to this season - we are gonna need all the depth, option and talent in our squad available.

Would be stupid to let him go elsewhere

Edited by ToonMarshy

Him going will not be the clubs doing. If it's true that he could get quite a few million simply for changing clubs AND have his salary doubled or trebled the I still think it will take a miracle to keep him.

I wouldn't be too sure, somebody may have to do the legwork for me and find the direct quote that someone posted here because i can't for the life of me remember where it was (or if it was even verified as being bullshit or not)

But in a meeting with pardeux the subject of ba was brought up, and i seem to remember words to the effect that he was confident Ba would not activate the clause or push for it himself, that he wasnt interested in the money and that he was a very spiritual person, and being wanted and appreciated by the fans was more important in keeping him than any wage bill.

Again, im quoting from hungover memory here and i cant remember if it was proved to be anything other than tosh, but given how Ba presents himself i wouldn't be surprised if this were true

I would think if the release wasn't true it would have been denied long before now.

That then leaves us with a footballer with a potentially dodgy knee having to decide where he wants to stop here out of kindness or whether he wants to secure his future by banking 10 or 20 million by changing clubs.

Hope he stays but I cant see how they can pull this off.