Out and In

2bias

The amount of shit Simpson gets is unreal, he's been one of our most consistent players, yet people always seem to pick faults with him. So what if he's not as good as Santon going forward, but at the minute he's a better defender than him and that's all I care about with full backs. Unlike Santon, hes had 3 players ahead of him who havent exactly been naturals at defending alongside him unlike Santon who's had Gutierrez infront of him whilst Simpson has had ben Arfa, Obertan and Barton. He does things unpectcularly and goes under the radar in games, and for that I couldnt care as long as he gets the basics right, which hes done all season

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The amount of shit Simpson gets is unreal, he's been one of our most consistent players, yet people always seem to pick faults with him. So what if he's not as good as Santon going forward, but at the minute he's a better defender than him and that's all I care about with full backs. Unlike Santon, hes had 3 players ahead of him who havent exactly been naturals at defending alongside him unlike Santon who's had Gutierrez infront of him whilst Simpson has had ben Arfa, Obertan and Barton. He does things unpectcularly and goes under the radar in games, and for that I couldnt care as long as he gets the basics right, which hes done all season

Is the correct answer

He hasn't got the basics right though. The basics being closing your winger down and cutting out crosses. The basics being marking the man rather than scurrying back onto the line hoping for another spectacular goal-line clearance.

He's had some atrocious games this season. Really, really awful games.

He hasn't got the basics right though. The basics being closing your winger down and cutting out crosses. The basics being marking the man rather than scurrying back onto the line hoping for another spectacular goal-line clearance.

Makes you wonder what the manager and staff are asking him to do.

I haven't got time to go through every single one, but highlights include the shocker at Anfield, playing Fulham onside for 3 of their five goals at Craven Cottage, a masterclass in how not to play centre back at Carrow Road... The biggest problem I have with him is he breaks up our own attacks. If he's not good enough to create a chance in the final third, then give it to someone who is.

Admittedly, he's looked a bit more comfortable with Ben Arfa in front of him, as the opposition is so petrified of HBA than he has nowt to do.

As for Santon, you're confusing me with a Santon apologist. I like Santon, but he's nowhere near the finished article and has a lot to work on defensively. But there is definitely a footballer in there with a good touch and a bit of intelligence, which is something I don't see in Simpson.

Name the games then?

If Santon was the one clearing the balls off the line you's would be praising him to the high heavens, but since it's Simpson it was a fluke or he didnt do something right in the build up too it.

There's always got to be someone who's shit, Simpson is the current "it". He's not great and he's not abysmal, he's somewhere in between. In reality most teams have several players in that "in the middle" category, not flavour of the month = shit.

Could he be upgraded?, probably, is it an absolute need to upgrade him?, no.

I haven't got time to go through every single one, but highlights include the shocker at Anfield, playing Fulham onside for 3 of their five goals at Craven Cottage, a masterclass in how not to play centre back at Carrow Road... The biggest problem I have with him is he breaks up our own attacks. If he's not good enough to create a chance in the final third, then give it to someone who is.

Admittedly, he's looked a bit more comfortable with Ben Arfa in front of him, as the opposition is so petrified of HBA than he has nowt to do.

As for Santon, you're confusing me with a Santon apologist. I like Santon, but he's nowhere near the finished article and has a lot to work on defensively. But there is definitely a footballer in there with a good touch and a bit of intelligence, which is something I don't see in Simpson.

He's a fucking fullback !!!

There isnt any agenda against Simpson ffs, he is a weak link in our squad and it gets highlighted, and rightly so.

"Protecting Simpson" has been a key argument for picking a midfielder on the right all season, is that how a fullback should operate?

I am grateful for what simmo has done for us, but climbing past midtable and up its glaringly apparent certain positions should be improved upon, and simpsons is one of those.

I can see him as a squad player on 10 grand a week, unfortunately I dont think he can - and certainly not at 25 grand a week.

I don't see what's controversial about wanting to bring in someone better than Simpson? Ideally we'd retain Simpson as the reserve RB but if we can improve on that position, I don't see why not.......Simpson is a mediocre RB imo

If we're getting shot of players we need to be looking at ones not making the first team, on the fringes or aren't being picked at the end of their current contracts - Lovenkrands, Smith, Xisco, Best and maybe Obertan. We really need to bring in another centre back as cover at the minimum, a left back and maybe another attacking midfielder/forward. If we lose any of the better players we will need some serious first team consideration because really we should be looking at reinforcing the team that's already performing.