BAE (Vickers)

JawD

Not being funny BS but they're highly ephemeral examples of individualistic opportunism . Hardly multi-million investment in infrastructure or amenities that comes with the white elephant .

Well I'm all in favour of the Olympics becoming a distributed event in future, but if that's not going to happen, it's pretty impossible to see exactly what kind of multi-million investment in infrastructure or amenities is going to be done outside of any Olympic host city. And even if it was a distributed event, there will always be places that can argue they saw no lasting infrastructure/amenity benefits.

The idea that something like the Olympics could see new thigns being built in every town and village in the country seems a bit too pie in the sky idealism for my liking. No Olympics has never been Great Leap Forward for any country, and I think that Lord Coe has a lot to answer for when it comes to raising people's hopes about legacy crap. But we're doing a hell of a lot better out of it than the likes of Athens.

Ephemeral it may be, but there's no doubt about it, these Olympics will make a profit. Whichever way you look at it, that's not a bad thing for the NE at all. And we've done well to get the benefits of being one of the football venues, which is more than most areas will see in terms of direct benefit.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Point is its a hugely expensive one off event, by its very nature any earnings or benefit to the NE or anywhere else in the UK will be temporary and passing. Nothing long term. Its really very little to crow about in the week when hundreds on Tyneside are losing their jobs....ok "Jack"? ;)

Pfft. The long term benefits are obvious and not confined to London, so it's hard to take that sort of cynicism seriously. And you can hardly lay the blame for BAE not having any orders at the doors of Lord Coe, nor can you pretend their lot would have gone differently had we just cancelled the whole thing ages ago (bearing in mind we were lumbered with putting it on in these times of austerity thanks largely to Blairenomics, who also brought you record levels of incompetences and waste in MoD strategic planning, on whom BAE are so reliant). Coe is doing his best to put this country on the map, in true blue Thatcher style. Nowt to be ashamed about.

What's your favourite condiment for chips?

1-salt & vinegar

2- tomato ketchup

3- cheese.

Salt, vinegar and brown sauce. Cheesy chips is not human food, period. It's the preferred diet of vermin, obviously. Chips must be soggy with grease and/or half brown from being over-cooked. Dry chips are a hanging offence. Fish must be succulent and full of flavour, batter must be crispy, and preferred packaging is of the cardboard box variety not a polystyrene piece of crap that's sadly favoured round my way. Watery fish and/or soggy batter are also hanging offences. What relevance this is to BAE though is lost on me.

Salt, vinegar and brown sauce. Cheesy chips is not human food, period. It's the preferred diet of vermin, obviously. Chips must be soggy with grease and/or half brown from being over-cooked. Dry chips are a hanging offence. Fish must be succulent and full of flavour, batter must be crispy, and preferred packaging is of the cardboard box variety not a polystyrene piece of crap that's sadly favoured round my way. Watery fish and/or soggy batter are also hanging offences. What relevance this is to BAE though is lost on me.

What's your views on the black dude from Black eyed peas if you don't mind me asking?

What's your views on the black dude from Black eyed peas if you don't mind me asking?

I sense this might be a dissappointment, but I don't have any strong views on Mr Will.I.Am. All I know is he's on the Voice, which I don't watch, he makes his own cars, he can rap a bit, and for some unkown reason, someone let him run with the Olympic torch recently....The cars thing is about the most interesting thing about him that I can see, but it sounds like he's trying to be the Bono of the ghetto with that....

How does all the bus drivers going south help the ne economy? Call centre staff wont be able to get to work

How does a bunch of NE people getting a shed load of money for 2 weeks work help the NE economy? How does one of the city's biggest employers winning a high profile contract help the NE economy? Were these serious questions? And if you work in a call centre, worry ye not, normal services will not be affected (although you may notice your bus is a little bit older, as all the knackered withdrawn stuff is brought from out the back, to cover for all the shiny new buses delivered last year, being sent to the smoke)

How does a bunch of NE people getting a shed load of money for 2 weeks work help the NE economy? How does one of the city's biggest employers winning a high profile contract help the NE economy? Were these serious questions? And if you work in a call centre, worry ye not, normal services will not be affected (although you may notice your bus is a little bit older, as all the knackered withdrawn stuff is brought from out the back, to cover for all the shiny new buses delivered last year, being sent to the smoke)

I doubt 20 drivers is really going to make much impact. My Dad works for stagecoach (based at Slatyford) the amount being paid is hardly a lottery win.

A bunch. A shed load. I don't know why we were worried about the NE missing out, with these sort of figures being bandied about.

As opposed to the figures if the Olympics had never come, which would be..........zero, jack shit, nothing, nada, fuck all, diddly squat.

But if you have a better idea for how a London based event can benefit the NE economy more than it has done, then let's hear it. I presume it's not based on some 1970s economic model where geordies are once again considered by the rest of the UK as nothing more than navvies.

I doubt 20 drivers is really going to make much impact. My Dad works for stagecoach (based at Slatyford) the amount being paid is hardly a lottery win.

Not what I was told. It sounded more like nearly 3 months pay for 2 weeks work, plus extra holiday and other benefits as well. Who's going to turn their nose down at that this year? If I see him again i'll ask for more details. Of course it won't make a massive impact, but I don't see what the NE economy was supposed to get out of a London based Olympics.

As opposed to the figures if the Olympics had never come, which would be..........zero, jack shit, nothing, nada, fuck all, diddly squat.

But if you have a better idea for how a London based event can benefit the NE economy more than it has done, then let's hear it. I presume it's not based on some 1970s economic model where geordies are once again considered by the rest of the UK as nothing more than navvies.

The point is that you're telling us all not to worry cos the NE is benefitting plenty from the Olympics, but when pushed for specifics you tell us that "a bunch" of people are getting "a shed load" of money. By which you mean some bus drivers and a bloke you know who does IT. Oh and there's a couple of football matches too.

You then all but admit in the post I'm quoting that it's impossible for a London based event to really benefit the NE much. Which is what we've all been saying anyway, yet you're the one who told us all not to say that because it makes us look like Geordie peasants.

Make your fucking mind up.

The point is that you're telling us all not to worry cos the NE is benefitting plenty from the Olympics, but when pushed for specifics you tell us that "a bunch" of people are getting "a shed load" of money. By which you mean some bus drivers and a bloke you know who does IT. Oh and there's a couple of football matches too.

You then all but admit in the post I'm quoting that it's impossible for a London based event to really benefit the NE much. Which is what we've all been saying anyway, yet you're the one who told us all not to say that because it makes us look like Geordie peasants.

Make your fucking mind up.

You're talking crap.

I said don't listen to the moaning bastards claiming the Olympics doesn't benefit the NE, giving examples of why that's crap. I also said I can't see how a London based event is supposed to provide the lasting infrastructure/ammenities in the NE that someone seemed to think it should. No contradictions there I think you'll find. Your take on my words is just your attempt to backslide out of showing how the Olympics are somehow a bad thing for the NE, or represent something that miserable gits like yourself can justifiably have a good whinge about when completely unrelated news like this BAE announcement comes out.

I said don't listen to the moaning bastards claiming the Olympics doesn't benefit the NE, giving examples of why that's crap.

:lol: You really think you've put that one to bed with your band of happy bus drivers, don't you?

:lol: You really think you've put that one to bed with your band of happy bus drivers, don't you?

Aye, because I only meant bus drivers. Muppet. I cited that first because it's the biggest single benefit (for a single person) I've heard of so far. If they're happy, that's great as far as I'm concerned. You can piss on their chips all you want, but I bet you secretly know someone also benefiting from the Olympics too, but I doubt you'd publicly admit it now.