Sunderland AFC - how do you feel about them?

McFaul

Sunderland AFC your thoughts on them  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nowt like trotting out the party line to fit.

Might as well be a mackem yourself from Fencehouses you're certainly more their stock than you are ours put it that way, which explains why you like them.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i really don't hate sunderland as much as a lot of newcastle fans. the town is a hole and i feel sorry for those that have to live there but some of my oldest and best mates are mackems; stevie's chat about them being genetically inferior is just wind up material.

as far as their club's concerned, i'm really not that bothered. as long as we beat them and finish above them, i'm happy for them to stay up. you can't beat the atmopshere at the derby and it's a shame not to have that. i like to see boro in the top flight too. good to have the three north east sides up there.

Might as well be a mackem yourself from Fencehouses you're certainly more their stock than you are ours put it that way, which explains why you like them.

Where did I say I liked the mackems, Stevie?

FFS, you might be able to read but you must have been bottom of the class in comprehension.

To clarify, mackems to me really is the team. As in "the mackems". I suppose I should have said mackem fans.

I'll let you off on the comprehension thing......this time......as I may not have been clear.

There are days when I would quite happliy see the town nuked - generally when they take their obsession beyond "healthy" into the nasty like calling Robson or singing songs about Milburn. Other times I do think that despite the accent we're all pretty similar really.

It's strange what Stevie said about the difference between those of us from mixed areas and the "pure" like him. In some ways I could see people who don't know any Mackems who never go there apart from match days would probably hate them more because of the "mystery" factor in the same way propaganda in wartime demonised the Germans. He's right that I do have mates who support them which should "soften" the hatred but I always felt it made it worse. Over the years I've heard a lot of lads from Newcastle or north of the river who've said what a few in this thread have said - that they don't really think about them that much or at most just feel sorry for them. I've never known anyone from South of the river or Durham say that so I guess mixing with them actually inflames the passion.

There are days when I would quite happliy see the town nuked - generally when they take their obsession beyond "healthy" into the nasty like calling Robson or singing songs about Milburn. Other times I do think that despite the accent we're all pretty similar really.

It's strange what Stevie said about the difference between those of us from mixed areas and the "pure" like him. In some ways I could see people who don't know any Mackems who never go there apart from match days would probably hate them more because of the "mystery" factor in the same way propaganda in wartime demonised the Germans. He's right that I do have mates who support them which should "soften" the hatred but I always felt it made it worse. Over the years I've heard a lot of lads from Newcastle or north of the river who've said what a few in this thread have said - that they don't really think about them that much or at most just feel sorry for them. I've never known anyone from South of the river or Durham say that so I guess mixing with them actually inflames the passion.

Yup

i really don't hate sunderland as much as a lot of newcastle fans. the town is a hole and i feel sorry for those that have to live there but some of my oldest and best mates are mackems; stevie's chat about them being genetically inferior is just wind up material.

as far as their club's concerned, i'm really not that bothered. as long as we beat them and finish above them, i'm happy for them to stay up. you can't beat the atmopshere at the derby and it's a shame not to have that. i like to see boro in the top flight too. good to have the three north east sides up there.

Nothing, and I mean nothing could be further from the truth. CT lives 4 miles from Sunderland and 9 from the toon, granted I accept people from Boldon don't have mackem accents, and even he says just a short trip away they're completely different. You've been away from the NE since you were 16 and it shows.

At nearly 6ft3 I'm not big in Newcastle in Sunderland I'm a giant, there's something about the Tyneside genetics, and some survey proved we're the tallest most handsome cunts in the country, perhaps the viking influence I don't know. Every pretty house has a toilet though and that counts for genes too.

Edited by McFaul

I respect you, you're an intelligent man, but when I started working in Sunderland I went there with the hope I'd better my impression of them, it got worse. I'm liberal in my attitude, and to be fair I can see how you think like that because I see similarities between people in South Shields and people in Sunderland. The accent is different, but there are similarities, I'll leave it there.

Nothing, and I mean nothing could be further from the truth. CT lives 4 miles from Sunderland and 9 from the toon, granted I accept people from Boldon don't have mackem accents, and even he says just a short trip away they're completely different. You've been away from the NE since you were 16 and it shows.

At nearly 6ft3 I'm not big in Newcastle in Sunderland I'm a giant, there's something about the Tyneside genetics, and some survey proved we're the tallest most handsome cunts in the country, perhaps the viking influence I don't know. Every pretty house has a toilet though and that counts for genes too.

i felt the same way before i left. i've got mates from washington that are mackems. they're good lads; they're not a different species.

there are plenty of charv freaks in the west end of newcastle. the downtrodden look comes from living in deprived areas, not genetics ffs.

i felt the same way before i left. i've got mates from washington that are mackems. they're good lads; they're not a different species.

there are plenty of charv freaks in the west end of newcastle. the downtrodden look comes from living in deprived areas, not genetics ffs.

Work in Sunderland and come back. There's more ginger people in Sunderland, and they're generally smaller.

I think they made, (Mak em), the shell so to speak and we took, (tak em), and did all the important technical stuff. Apparently Mackems weren't blacklisted on Tyneside as Geordies were on Wearside.

Strange one this. When I was younger Mags always took the aggressive attitude in derby encounters and filtered into the home sections of Roker in an open way I've never seen them do at SJP ever. Also remember them being genuinely outraged at the Mags who went down for their game v Gillingham. I always get the impression they were/are about twenty years behind the times so in those days of the Gillingham game they were still metaphorically waving their rattles and still trying to be Geordies, whilst now when there's not as much aggravation around and football is more sanitised they're just getting into the 80's mode and are far more anti-NUFC than they were then. That and all the beatings they've had from us and our rise under KK and SBR just killed them.

Funny enough, the better ones I've met tend to be die-hards who without exception know more about our players than I do about theirs. I reckon I could walk past half their squad completely oblivious. They are more bitter now than they've ever been, I know that much.

P.S. A quick mention to their 'formed in 1992/Barcelona of the North' shite. The '92 slur is very ironic as in the nineties their crowds more than doubled, they moved stadium, they got themselves a new crest, (similar style to ours btw :whistling:) and even voted on a new nickname. Exactly who is it that was newly formed again, Mackems?

'Barcelona of the North'.

A typical bit of bullshit claptrap from our Tory loving ex Chairman most certainly not taking seriously by most Mags I know/knew. Personally pissed me off that when signings dried up we'd spent money so fucking Douglas Hall could mix with racing car drivers in Le Mons or wherever and have his pic took sloping across a car with our crest on it. Basically, their idea that we as a support thought were like Barcelona shows their almost mental illness when it comes to NUFC. And we're deluded?

P.S. A quick mention to their 'formed in 1992/Barcelona of the North' shite. The '92 slur is very ironic as in the nineties their crowds more than doubled, they moved stadium, they got themselves a new crest, (similar style to ours btw :whistling:) and even voted on a new nickname. Exactly who is it that was newly formed again, Mackems?

A brilliant summary but I've quoted this one in bold, they used to say this when I worked there, NUFC formed 1992, which is ironic seeing as though the 80's was probably our worst ever decade, top 10 once, yet we were generally 5th or 6th best supported team in the country (THIRD in 1984 despite being in Division Two), yet the mackems never averaged over 20,000 once in the full decade! Fucking paraffins. Their last season at Joker the capacity was 22,000 and they had three sell outs all season in the Premiership. They built their ground and filled it for a few years, with all the Skyfan boy trimmings then they all fucked off again. Fucking joke club, who know their station deep down but talk utter shit publically.

Sadly for them, the last time they were a big hitter was many, many years ago, we've also had some pretty lean times but have been 'relevant' nationally, (and for a spell internationally), in a way they just haven't been in my life time ever.

Everyones proud of their club so in a way it explains some of the bitterness to be fair.

Anyway, think it's fair to say posters on here who aren't OOTers wont have the same gripes with them as the locals will like Ant/ewerk for example which is natural enough. I had an uncle from N. Ireland who was a glory hunting NUFC fan, (he supported us as a boy in the days of the cup wins) and he hated Man U but was oblivious to the Mackems as he simply didn't come across many and when he did they were Irish Mackems who didn't give a fuck about NUFC either. :lol:

Anyway, think it's fair to say posters on here who aren't OOTers wont have the same gripes with them as the locals will like Ant/ewerk for example which is natural enough. I had an uncle from N. Ireland who was a glory hunting NUFC fan, (he supported us as a boy in the days of the cup wins) and he hated Man U but was oblivious to the Mackems as he simply didn't come across many and when he did they were Irish Mackems who didn't give a fuck about NUFC either. :lol:

I respect that about the mackems though, their fanbase is basically almost 100% South Tyneside, Sunderland and County Durham. Everton are the same, you never find an Everton fan anywhere but Merseyside and North Wales. Newcastle have fans fucking everywhere, we got so many glory hunters in the 90's it was unbelievable from around the country and beyond, we have Irish toon fans, Scottish toon fans, North West toon fans (more than a few bizarrely. In Carlisle we're by far the second best supported team), Cockney toon fans etc...etc... they just have the N.E. and I do respect that. For us though around the country in terms of OOT's even to this day only Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool have more OOT's although I'd expect Chelsea and Man City to usurp that in the next ten years. Given the fact our local fanbase is as large and loyal as just about any club in Britain, and we have all these OOT's too, it makes you wonder just how big we'd be if we were successful. You just need to see a toon away end in London, you'd think you were in a West Ham end the accents you hear around you. Edited by McFaul

A lot of what you might think were glory hunters, Stevie are actually people with connections.

I've known lads from all over whose families had moved away but they'd still been raised properly.

I also knew a fee randoms who started supporting us when we were shit for no good reason.

A lot of what you might think were glory hunters, Stevie are actually people with connections.

I've known lads from all over whose families had moved away but they'd still been raised properly.

I also knew a fee randoms who started supporting us when we were shit for no good reason.

I know we have loads of randoms, far, far more than a club like Forest or Villa who won the European Cup!

They're not all glory hunters I accept that, and the OOT's who support us to this day how can they be glory hunters, we've been shite for 10 years and they're still here. I know in Nottinghamshire, the towns around Mansfield, Newcastle is the main club because of geordie-diaspora from the mines 30-60 years ago.