Should people have to apply for a license to have children.

Kevin Carr's Gloves

It's easy to fly off into sci-fi scenarios, but it's a fair point to underline that the concept of the welfare state is still relatively new, yet a few generations down the line people see it as 'twas ever thus'.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it hadn't been for the nazi's, eugenics would be a topic of at least lukewarm discussion.

When I was at university one of my lecturers said with rising populations we will need to take a serious look at options regarding breeding control within a few generations.

If it hadn't been for the nazi's, eugenics would be a topic of at least lukewarm discussion.

When I was at university one of my lecturers said with rising populations we will need to take a serious look at options regarding breeding control within a few generations.

It was a British man, not a German, who first came up with the term eugenics in 1883. Francis Galton was a cousin of Charles Darwin and he became obsessed with Origin of Species, especially its chapter on the breeding of domestic animals. This inspired him to spend much of his life studying the variations in human ability. He wrote: "The question was then forced upon me. Could not the race of men be similarly improved? Could not the undesirables be got rid of and the desirables multiplied?".

The logistics of enforced sterilisations would be pretty difficult to arrange. For it to be effective and non-reversible by the patient you're talking enforced vasectomies and tubal ligations. You'd need to coerce surgeons, anaesthetists, the entire health service into providing this service on a national basis requiring an enormous philosophical change.

The logistics of enforced sterilisations would be pretty difficult to arrange. For it to be effective and non-reversible by the patient you're talking enforced vasectomies and tubal ligations. You'd need to coerce surgeons, anaesthetists, the entire health service into providing this service on a national basis requiring an enormous philosophical change.

Chemicals in the water/food supply with the antidote as part of the licence has always been my view.

I think we sort of had this discussion before and Manc-Mag swayed me from my position based on IQ towards a more open maturity clause - say 27/28. I know I said the other day that evolution suggests a lot earlier than this but for the sake of society it has to be considered.

Of course I recognise that there are many, many excellent parents who have kids early but on the whole I think a bit of breathing space for everone would be for the best.

You'd also have to be vigilant against people going abroad but that would fit in with my other plans to abolish private education and healthcare and strip anybody who goes abroad for anything like this of their citizenship and right of residency.

(Yes I know I sound like a fascist)

You'd also have to be vigilant against people going abroad but that would fit in with my other plans to abolish private education and healthcare and strip anybody who goes abroad for anything like this of their citizenship and right of residency.

(Yes I know I sound like a fascist)

Just a little.

Any health worker who refuses will be sent to the Smeg mines.

Chemicals in the water/food supply with the antidote as part of the licence has always been my view.

There isn't a magic "sterilisation pill". To prevent conception chemically you'd have to put 'the pill' (oestrogen and progesterone) in the water supply which would have...interesting effects on the men. And there isn't an "antidote" as such you just stop taking it. So you'd have to have a way of getting "clean" water etc to the "licensed". Which would inevitably find its way onto

a black market of 'clean' products

Even if you get past the Orwellian ethics sterilising en masse just isn't practical.

There isn't a magic "sterilisation pill". To prevent conception chemically you'd have to put 'the pill' (oestrogen and progesterone) in the water supply which would have...interesting effects on the men. And there isn't an "antidote" as such you just stop taking it. So you'd have to have a way of getting "clean" water etc to the "licensed". Which would inevitably find its way onto

Even if you get past the Orwellian ethics sterilising en masse just isn't practical.

Superglue their blarts shut.

Jobs a goodun.

And yet the population is increasing in the UK and becoming demographically younger.......

Hmmm, who normally like to argue about this again?

It's called immigration. For someone who shoots his mouth of the whole time you're pretty lame. One million Poles ring a bell. :)

Official figures from the Office for National Statistics show that the fertility rate – the average number of children per woman in England and Wales – rose steadily over the past decade following a slump in the 1960s and 1970s and a plateau throughout the 1980s and 1990s.

Immigrant mothers, many from the new Eastern European members of the EU, drove a baby boom that led to a record 61.4million population in Britain by mid-2008."

"Western European countries have low fertility rates, below the replacement rate of 2.1. Germany: 1.4 (its total population is 81.9 million, of which 8.2% are foreigners). Holland: 1.8 (16.5 million, of which 4.4% are foreigners). Belgium: 1.8 (10.8 million, of which 9.8% are foreigners). Spain: 1.4 (46.1 million, of which 12.4% are foreigners). Italy: 1.4 (60.2 million, of which 7.1% are foreigners), the Pope’s views notwithstanding. Sweden, which provides deep support for parents, has a high TFR of 1.9 (9.4 million, of which 6.4% are foreigners), but that’s still below the replacement rate. Ireland and the U.K. also have high TFRs, at 2.1 and 1.9, respectively, but these rates are derived from non-European immigrant parents."

The only places on the planet on or above replacement rate is India and Africa.

Edited by Park Life

I've always thought of it in terms of near future Sci-fi rather than current female hormone based drugs - something like nanobots which prevent fertilization by destorying sperm which could be sent a "sease and desist" order by wi-fi if necessary.

I've always thought of it in terms of near future Sci-fi rather than current female hormone based drugs - something like nanobots which prevent fertilization by destorying sperm which could be sent a "sease and desist" order by wi-fi if necessary.

I'd steer well clear of any programme that could potentially involve Virgin Media.

I could just take the babies off them in recovery...

And sell them to those who have been rubber stamped but are not able to conceive. A self financing scheme, result!