Good vs Evil --- They walk among us.

Christmas Tree

2zjm61g.jpg

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_273169.pdf

The BBC report is not a like for like comparison. Shows total numbers of murders (which you'd expect to fluctuate in line with population) rather than murder rate per million, a rise in which would suggest more "evil".

Data does show murder rates per million people were at a 100 year peak in 1995 and the total number of murders were at a 45 year peak in 2002.

That drop off in total numbers is interesting over the last ten years or so, What do you think that abrupt change in a 100 year trend can be attributed to? Could it not just be a 5 year grouping of outliers on the low side, following a five year group of outliers on the high side between 2000-2005, while the overall trend remains upwards?

2zjm61g.jpg

http://www.ons.gov.u...1778_273169.pdf

The BBC report is not a like for like comparison. Shows total numbers of murders (which you'd expect to fluctuate in line with population) rather than murder rate per million, a rise in which would suggest more "evil".

Data does show murder rates per million people were at a 100 year peak in 1995 and the total number of murders were at a 45 year peak in 2002.

That drop off in total numbers is interesting over the last ten years or so, What do you think that abrupt change in a 100 year trend can be attributed to? Could it not just be a 5 year grouping of outliers on the low side, following a five year group of outliers on the high side between 2000-2005, while the overall trend remains upwards?

The population has risen significantly though so if anything the decrease in murders should be more exaggerated. I think the graph perfectly illustrates that the perception we live in violent, homicidal times is just that - a perception not based on reality. The perception that the crime rate has risen is almost certainly down to media bullshit anyway. I'm sure burglary and twocking aren't anything like they were 20 years ago. Sorry but I can't be arsed to trawl through ONS data to find out for sure. :ermm:

Edited by Renton

Is there a difference between murder rates and manslaughter rates and how does that affect stats overall of people who kill others? For example, that report in the paper yesterday about David Moore kicking McGeorge to death back in March for spilling a few drops on his trainers. He pled guilty to manslaughter. FFS, he kicked a man to death if thats not murder, I don't know what is. But then again applying common sense is not part of the law. I'm sure admitting that he did it and pleading to m/slaughter...even though it was cut and dried that he killed him.... will shave a good few years off his sentence... so will that lower murder rate stats?

In the last ten years have we gone easier on murder and allowed it to be called manslaughter? I wonder if, in 1960, that would've been considered murder. Now we just can't be arsed to go the extra yard to prove as the police are too busy with major crime like the John Terry case.

People do crazy shit. I spent 40hrs pw with murderers, rapists and paedophiles in my last job. I laughed and joked with them, played football with them, took them to the pictures.

For all intents and purposes they were normal kids in that controlled environment. Some were intrinsically evil, some were a product of their environment. I worked with one lass who had been passed around as a baby to be raped by her dads friends. As a toddler she was forced to watch her parents have sex all the time. As an adolescent if she was naughty she was hung by her neck in the garage.

Is it any wonder she turned out fucked up and has trouble with knowing right from wrong?

Everyone is capable of evil acts if the right buttons are pushed

Surely the widespread use of Citv, DNA evidence all well explained in various cop shows, would put the borderline would be murderer / rapist off more now than in previous years.

I know Art Attack was good but I doubt it could prevent violent crime.