Our Current Tactics.

Christmas Tree

I'm not saying there's no point in going past players, but it's not a tactic you should base your entire game plan around. It's exciting to watch, but it also loses you the ball 4/5 times. Then you have to expel energy getting the ball back. Then you end up tired. Then you make mistakes and lose games.

It's about balancing the level of risk taking, and with Ben Arfa being our big risk taker, we need a safer option to support the midfield.

Moving the ball forwards doesn't mean you have to pick out a killer pass. Keeping the ball and giving it to a player in a better position (such as an overlapping fullback) is usually better than trying to split the defence with a risky ball that's more often than not going to give the opposition possession.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying there's no point in going past players, but it's not a tactic you should base your entire game plan around. It's exciting to watch, but it also loses you the ball 4/5 times. Then you have to expel energy getting the ball back. Then you end up tired. Then you make mistakes and lose games.

It's about balancing the level of risk taking, and with Ben Arfa being our big risk taker, we need a safer option to support the midfield.

Moving the ball forwards doesn't mean you have to pick out a killer pass. Keeping the ball and giving it to a player in a better position (such as an overlapping fullback) is usually better than trying to split the defence with a risky ball that's more often than not going to give the opposition possession.

Yep and its Jonas delivery Im questioning. I agree with your sentiments though, he links up nicely at times.

We have one player being able to go past players though, and that is ben arfa. Another one wouldnt hurt.

Its a complex discussion debating Jonas because there are two camps, those who rate him and those who dont. I find him rather frustrating to watch but I do recognize his contributions.

I think in HBA and Jonas, we have a nice balance of the two.

If both are played out wide.

Thats not the point though is it?

In a 433 Jonas is used an a CM role. While i agree with your logical posts in some sense i still have to side with CT. Anita, a proper CM should be prefered over Jonas playing out of position regardless of how hard he works.

I like Jonas alot but he should only be used in the 442 system. Anita in the 433 and Marveaux in the 4231.

We rarely play a rigid formation though - it fluidly changes during the game. This is something a lot of commentators failed to grasp last season when some would think we were lined up differently to others.

It's actually one of the key arguments for including Jonas - that he can fit into such a system. Often we'll start with 4-4-2 but then switch into a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3. with either Ba dropping deep or HBA going forward. Jonas is flexible around this, whilst Cabaye and Tiote maintain similar roles.

Interesting tactical comments from Krul today. Talking about Anita he said.....

“I’ve played with him for many, many years – I think he’ll be the missing link.

“We’ll play more from the back, and he’ll be a fantastic addition.”

I would still like to see how Jonas would do at a full-back position if noone comes in personally. Then again he can play basically any position well except CB and striker, and he is never injured. So i dont see this as much of a problem either way. I do agree that Marveaux and Hba in the same team looks tasty, but it will probably also make it very difficult for our fullbacks.

At the end of the day I would rather bench a player who is offensively a little better, but cannot be relied upon to play too many games. Jonas will run his arse off for every single one.

I have yet to be convinced that Cisse and Ba can play together effectively. Individually, there is no question about their ability, but I wonder if they may prove to be two players that don't mesh.

I hope that it does not prove to be the case.

I have yet to be convinced that Cisse and Ba can play together effectively. Individually, there is no question about their ability, but I wonder if they may prove to be two players that don't mesh.

I hope that it does not prove to be the case.

even if they don't, it's nice to have two top strikers to pick from if we stick with 433.

Ba and Cisse were cracking together when we went on that 6 game winning streak at the end of last season. They'd take turns to lead the line, with the other one pulling out wide and doing a bit more of the grafting. The opposition defenders were being dragged all over the shop.

For me Ben Arfa is quickly becoming the most important player on the pitch. I remember how he completely turned games around last season when he came on, turning nailed on would-be losses into wins.

We instantly started to play it more on the ground, and just like in school the other players look for him and hand him the ball as he is easily the best player out there.

His creativity and intuitivity when it comes to fotballing matters is amazing tbh, even DURING dribbles and running through people he is adapting and turning depending on how the opposite players react to his movement. Its insane to watch, I cant describe it.

Turning into if not already our Wayne Rooney tbh.

Edited by Lake Bells tits