Kevin Sheedy diagnosed with bowel cancer

Tooj

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/everton/news/everton-coach-diagnosed-with-cancer_41370.html

Everton academy coach Kevin Sheedy diagnosed with bowel cancer

By Danielle Joynson, Reporter

Filed: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 11:18 UK

Last Updated: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 11:18 UK

Everton have announced that academy coach Kevin Sheedy has been diagnosed with bowel cancer.

Sheedy, who racked up 369 appearances for the Toffees during his playing career, is scheduled to have an operation at some point this week.

"It's not ideal but I have to remain positive," Sheedy told the club's official website. "There is a history in the family.

"It's so important that people don't ignore the early signs and symptoms and don't be afraid to consult a GP. After a period of rehabilitation I will return to my coaching role at Everton."

The former Ireland international scored 97 goals for the Toffees during the 1980s.

Wish him all of the best and hope he makes a recovery. :thup:

If there's a family history, relatives are often offered screening or surveillance tests. That's how my friend was diagnosed with bowel cancer (aged 27) early and was able to be treated successfully (so far, touch wood).

My father in law was diagnosed in 2007. Had an op and treatment and now in remission and fighting fit. Only effect is that he has a stoma but it doesn't bother him, he climbs mountains and rides coast to coasts the crazy bastard.

Good luck Kevin.

Always remember promotion season under Keegan at Peterbrough. He scored the winner with a little dink over the keeper. Must of been close to 10,000 Geordies down there. Best wishes and a quick recovery Kevin.

Edited by SCOREBOARD1

Always remember promotion season under Keegan at Peterbrough. He scored the winner with a little dink over the keeper. Must of been close to 10,000 Geordies down there. Best wishes and a quick recovery Kevin.

Aye was too full that day. First goal I saw him score for the toon was from an indirect free kick at Grimsby, in another end that was dangerously full. A great player in the 80s, hope he makes it.