British Gas electricity bill

Shaun

A bill for £84.68 from the period of 26 Jun 12 - 27 Aug 12 has just dropped onto my doormat this morning from British Gas. Which is funny, as I'm with Southern Electric and have been since I moved in on the 5th of May last year! I don't even use half that much electricity over 3 months.

It's addressed to 'The Occupier' I've read some horror stories concerning British Gas. I don't really want to be giving them my name.

What do I do?

Was in a few hundred pounds credit with B Gas a few years ago . This was after they kept adjusting - ie increasing the monthly d/d which resulted in the build-up. I phoned to query it and ask for it to be repaid as this wasn't just the summer balance that you'd expect to level out over winter.

W'h'hat a fucking carry on that was ! Customer Service clowns kept trying to say its estimated over the year and I was in the black now but would level through the year. Phoned back to basically speak to a.n.other hoping they'd actually listen that this had accumulated over a few years and the balancing out ain't happening. Same line from them, totally infuriating. Seemingly they were keen to use it to their gain interest-wise.

Ended up I had to request I was paid ot back about 5 times and ultimately took them around 8 weeks to process .

Try not to engage with them unless absolutely necessary .

Aye, my mam was massively in credit so asked for it back and what a fucking fight they put up claiming exactly the same shit. She did get it back, but not without having to constantly hassle them. I think this is probably an official policy, hope people just say 'fuck it' and leave it.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am still getting bills even after my mum complained and they've sent two apology letters.

The bill says 'For your energy supplied at CAR PARK LIGHTING FEEDER PILLAR PLOT 5'

*edit*

The postcode is for the school nextdoor.

Edited by Shaun

Npower just sent us a bill for £900.... For a property we moved out of in August....when they refunded almost £300 two weeks ago.

They all make these cock ups from time to time.

As I was closing the call to confirm, the wifey on the other end seemed shocked I hand mentioned compensation for the upset and asked if I didn't want to complain. I said I couldn't be arsed. She said she'd do it all for me.

Amazing these companies are touting for complaints.

The bloke we bought the house from had a prepay meter in, where you top up on a card when you need electricity and gas.

We got that ripped out and a direct debit set up with British Gas. We switched to Scottish Power after about 2 years or so, but we never received a single bill from BG for electricity. They billed us correctly for the gas, but nothing whatsoever for the electric.

Equally as incompetent, but sometimes their fuckups work in your favour.

We had a real ball-ache when trying to leave British Gas. When we requested our final bill they kept sending us one for the neighbours 3 doors down. We were told we'd be put on hold while they investigated but kept getting all sorts of threatening overdue payment letters. Utter, utter wankers they are.

We had a real ball-ache when trying to leave British Gas. When we requested our final bill they kept sending us one for the neighbours 3 doors down. We were told we'd be put on hold while they investigated but kept getting all sorts of threatening overdue payment letters. Utter, utter wankers they are.

I don't understand how they can legally send those types of letters. I received a couple saying they could break into my flat and cut off the electricity; this was after I had rang them up and they said it was all sorted.

We get all kinds of threatening letters for people who may or may not have lived here previously. British Gas, council parking fines, you name it. They all threaten the bailiffs as a last resort, but I work from home so there's pretty much always someone in. I wonder what would/will actually happen in reality or if it's all just a bluff.

• 4 weeks later...

Got two more threatening letters. One said they are getting a warrant to enter my premises and cut off the power. This is all after we have complained and they've sent two apology letters. Got to be the biggest bunch of tossers out there.