Why do we pay the license fee exactly?

Guest RockyRoad

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CabayeAye

I'm not letting you drag me into this childish shit. There's banter, and there's boring twattishness. You are the latter. Goodbye, you're going on ignore.

Pisses me off when I hear people complaining about the BBC. It's brilliant, genuinely brilliant. I'd pay 30p a day for 6 music alone. Yet there are stacks of tv shows that are definitely worth it; The Thick of It. QI. The Proms. Sherlock. Spooks. Match of the Day, off the top of my head.

The Olympics proved they could host and cover all manner of sports with insight and passion on a massive scale.

The documentaries are just breath-taking and some of the comedy and arts shows are absolutely unreal.

Their problem is populist cunts, who think to get a large audience you need to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Whereas it's more likely that if they produced more high quality shows like Sherlock, they'd get the audience figures and might even raise the bar for the other channels.

In terms of product they're streets ahead of itv and Channel 4. Sky do sports brilliantly, but a lot of their dramas and comedies are piss poor, however they've the financial clout to pick up great shows from HBO and the like.

I'm sure that rockyroad and cabayaye would sharp change their tune if they had actually endured American tv.

Pisses me off when I hear people complaining about the BBC. It's brilliant, genuinely brilliant. I'd pay 30p a day for 6 music alone. Yet there are stacks of tv shows that are definitely worth it; The Thick of It. QI. The Proms. Sherlock. Spooks. Match of the Day, off the top of my head.

The Olympics proved they could host and cover all manner of sports with insight and passion on a massive scale.

The documentaries are just breath-taking and some of the comedy and arts shows are absolutely unreal.

Their problem is populist cunts, who think to get a large audience you need to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Whereas it's more likely that if they produced more high quality shows like Sherlock, they'd get the audience figures and might even raise the bar for the other channels.

In terms of product they're streets ahead of itv and Channel 4. Sky do sports brilliantly, but a lot of their dramas and comedies are piss poor, however they've the financial clout to pick up great shows from HBO and the like.

I'm sure that rockyroad and cabayaye would sharp change their tune if they had actually endured American tv.

The Proms? :lol: I agree in principle with your post though. Apart from the Proms and MOTD.

The Proms? :lol: I agree in principle with your post though. Apart from the Proms and MOTD.

Bloody love the Proms.

Match of the Day isn't as good as Goals on Sunday, but by Christ its infinitely better than itv's "Premiership" and Match of the Day live is better than itv coverage by several orders of magnitude

You don't think the BBC make world class documentaries? You're wrong. Probably about 80% of the best British comedy shows have been BBC too. Also can you name a better source of news? Then there's dramas too.

There's so many media options nowadays I don't get why you're whinging about repeats on a Friday night? You could have watched something more to your taste using BBC iPlayer, for instance.

My issue, isn't about the BBC programmes as such. My issue is the Government licence fee attached to it and is frowned upon badly if you forget to pay, as in, you are hauled before court and literally told how serious this offence is.

Of course you don't get it, because evidently you've got the sort of sponge for a brain that has no issue with pulling that 80% figure out of you're ass, while simultaneously not questioning why not a single one of those comedies has been scheduled to debut in the prime time slot of the premier channel of the corporation that made them, just as the autumn schedules are kicking off.

As for iPlayer, just fuck off. Sky's got an internet player, C4's got one too, and no doubt you can even get Ant and Dec online if you're life's that pathetic. Trying to use that as an excuse for wall to wall adverts on BBC One on a Friday night is beyond pathetic. Not to mention that fact that the very last episode of Top Gear and the very last episode of Frozen Planet are just two examples of the type of content that is not currently available on the iPlayer, even if you were the type of stupid cunt who would choose the iPlayer as an alternative to not being offered any new prime time content on conventional BBC media.

This seems a very strange subject for you to be so angry about....I take it your carer hasnt arrived with the medication tonight yet? :)

Of course you don't get it, because evidently you've got the sort of sponge for a brain that has no issue with pulling that 80% figure out of you're ass, while simultaneously not questioning why not a single one of those comedies has been scheduled to debut in the prime time slot of the premier channel of the corporation that made them, just as the autumn schedules are kicking off.

As for iPlayer, just fuck off. Sky's got an internet player, C4's got one too, and no doubt you can even get Ant and Dec online if you're life's that pathetic. Trying to use that as an excuse for wall to wall adverts on BBC One on a Friday night is beyond pathetic. Not to mention that fact that the very last episode of Top Gear and the very last episode of Frozen Planet are just two examples of the type of content that is not currently available on the iPlayer, even if you were the type of stupid cunt who would choose the iPlayer as an alternative to not being offered any new prime time content on conventional BBC media.

Fucking hell. :lol:

I actually think 'prime time' is a thing of the past anyway. It's not the 1970s.

Howay then Quincy, what kind of medication is it that would stop people getting angry about supposedly trivial subjects?

The key word in all this is highlighted. If you think Friday night tv schedules aren't trivial then it would appear you have a problem with perspective. I'd suggest some quality Amsterdam bud to sort that fucker out. Changes your attitude completely. Although your issues plainly are a lot more deep rooted than that. You need a head doctor for the level of aggression you display on here, or to stop reading the Daily Mail.

Hope that helps :)

I guess I just have a low tolerance for the kind of spastic who makes the sort of crap points you do as a way of "disagreeing with" otehrs, while at the same time having the temerity to call those people terminally ignorant.

Do you use that word to abuse people on a daily basis?....how do your colleagues at work find that one?...or do you summon up all your immense bravery and only use it from behind the safety of a keyboard? Caths lurking, don't fancy your chances of seeing 9pm on here, which would at least put you out of your misery....just for a while no doubt...

What kind of a dickhead are you? This is the internet. No, scratch that, this is Toontastic. If you think anyone on here behaves remotely in the way they would in the real life then perhaps your really do need to lay off the whacky backy for a while.

So what are you like in real life then mate? Serious question. Why the big hard man routine on here?

What hard man routine? Don't tell me you're actually scared when some random on the internet calls you a dickhead? That's just sad.

You said no one acts online as they do in real life, so I presume all the aggresion and insults aren't "the real you"? is it an act or do you speak to people like this on a daily basis?

So you're argument is that I should be fucking ecstatic that AN ENTIRE FRIDAY NIGHT'S PRIMETIME OUTPUT ON BBC ONE is repeats, just because I'm not being forced to endure American TV (shit like Homeland, that sort of crap eh?). Thank fuck for Channel 4 is all I can say, they're going to be showing the new series of Homeland at 9pm,on Sunday. What's on BBC One at that time? One of their super-awesome oh so valuable 'documentaries', Andrew Marr's History of the World. No doubt they spunked a shed load of money to make that pile of shite, it's just a shame that it's not even a patch on the sort of stuff you can see on the History Channel at any time of day. Fuck me, you'd have learnt more about Alexander the Great from watching the film than that pile of shite last Sunday.

No, it clearly isn't, and that you think it is reveals so much about you.

This isn't an argument about you being annoyed about paying a small sum to receive sub-standard (in your eyes) tv, it's that you don't enjoy the tv that's offered.

You whine on because things aren't how you want them, well guess what sugar tits, 90% of your time on this planet you'll find fuck all is the way you want it. Grow up.

You don't like Andrew Marr's documentaries? guess what? You're not alone. Trouble is, the BBC is trying to provide for a disparate and diverse audience. You're not the only set of eyes in the country. If you're honestly, HONESTLY, this wound up about 30p a day, you need to either up the meds, or decrease the tv in your life. It's 30p. Nigh on 9 million people tuned in for Sherlock, 27m tuned in for the Olympic opening ceremony, 8m tune in for every Eastenders and Dr Who episode.

My point is that while you might cringe at people watching Jerry from Macclesfield being hit by a sponge ball into a muddy pool and thinking it's entertainment, you're not the audience that is aimed for, however, if you were such a sad act to be sitting in on a Friday Night, you'd not fucking notice it. If you've no choice because you've got kids to look after, then maybe... just maybe, instead of watching tv you could actually engage with your own family?

The BBC is at the forefront of documentaries, drama, comedy and sport. If you disagree look at itv, look at channels 4 and Five. Look at the sheer tonnage of shit that is on Sky. You ever watch God tv? How about QVC?

You pay for Sky? You're paying for them. Living, Gold, Hallmark, Viva, Scuzz, etc. etc. etc.

Grow up sunshine, you're not a special little rainbow, you're just a bug on the window of life.

No, it clearly isn't, and that you think it is reveals so much about you.

This isn't an argument about you being annoyed about paying a small sum to receive sub-standard (in your eyes) tv, it's that you don't enjoy the tv that's offered.

You whine on because things aren't how you want them, well guess what sugar tits, 90% of your time on this planet you'll find fuck all is the way you want it. Grow up.

You don't like Andrew Marr's documentaries? guess what? You're not alone. Trouble is, the BBC is trying to provide for a disparate and diverse audience. You're not the only set of eyes in the country. If you're honestly, HONESTLY, this wound up about 30p a day, you need to either up the meds, or decrease the tv in your life. It's 30p. Nigh on 9 million people tuned in for Sherlock, 27m tuned in for the Olympic opening ceremony, 8m tune in for every Eastenders and Dr Who episode.

My point is that while you might cringe at people watching Jerry from Macclesfield being hit by a sponge ball into a muddy pool and thinking it's entertainment, you're not the audience that is aimed for, however, if you were such a sad act to be sitting in on a Friday Night, you'd not fucking notice it. If you've no choice because you've got kids to look after, then maybe... just maybe, instead of watching tv you could actually engage with your own family?

The BBC is at the forefront of documentaries, drama, comedy and sport. If you disagree look at itv, look at channels 4 and Five. Look at the sheer tonnage of shit that is on Sky. You ever watch God tv? How about QVC?

You pay for Sky? You're paying for them. Living, Gold, Hallmark, Viva, Scuzz, etc. etc. etc.

Grow up sunshine, you're not a special little rainbow, you're just a bug on the window of life.

:lol: Top post Fish lad.