US elections 2012.

Park Life

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obama looks better in those casual jackets. If he had got onto those earlier he'd be out of sight by now.

Just got back from England. The place has gone to the dogs.

I've been here for a few days, seems alright to me. Am in Berlin tomorrow (after a stop in France to drop my daughter off), first time in Germany since May but i rarely notice the differences these days.

HF, what do you want from this election then?

I've been here for a few days, seems alright to me. Am in Berlin tomorrow (after a stop in France to drop my daughter off), first time in Germany since May but i rarely notice the differences these days.

Seems even in leafy Surrey the place is getting filled with takeaway joints even in my mums village. Ridiculous. There used to be an Italian and one good curry place. Now there's about eight shit takeaway places. Ruined.

obamacare was a massive deal in the states. it doesn't seem that revolutionary when you're used to state funded healthcare but it was huge over there, the race might not be so tight if he'd saved it for his second term. i think we see a more liberal agenda if he's re-elected and hopefully no more wars.

hurricane sandy will be good for obama.

Wasn't Obamacare massively controversial?

obamacare was a massive deal in the states. it doesn't seem that revolutionary when you're used to state funded healthcare but it was huge over there, the race might not be so tight if he'd saved it for his second term. i think we see a more liberal agenda if he's re-elected and hopefully no more wars.

hurricane sandy will be good for obama.

He needs majorities in the houses to really do anything useful.

My lass is flying to Germany with work tomorrow. I'll put her on Chezwatch.

He needs majorities in the houses to really do anything useful.

He has spent more time with house and senate majorities than Clinton did in his two terms.

Edited by ewerk

I'd hope for a big increase in the proportion of votes going to the third parties.

I'd also hope for a big drop in the number of people voting. Winds me up seeing rock the vote type events where pop stars tell citizens they don't care who they're voting for, but to go out and vote and let the politicians in Washington know they're paying a keen interest. Total bollocks. Bigger turnouts give a legitimacy to the presidency it doesn't deserve. if the turnout dropped below 50% it would do more to buck their ideas up.

If you're asking for my preference between the 2, then a Romney win is a better result for liberal issues. In terms of Supreme court nominees it could be bad, but then again, Obama picked Kagan who voted with the right on issues that liberals would have hoped otherwise like Medicaid and Miranda rights.

I'd also hope for a big drop in the number of people voting. Winds me up seeing rock the vote type events where pop stars tell citizens they don't care who they're voting for, but to go out and vote and let the politicians in Washington know they're paying a keen interest. Total bollocks. Bigger turnouts give a legitimacy to the presidency it doesn't deserve. if the turnout dropped below 50% it would do more to buck their ideas up.

Surely it also gives future candidates fewer demographics to pander to?

Wasn't Obamacare massively controversial?

yeah, it's seen as a hugely liberal bill, which it isn't really - it's not like they've introduced an NHS, but still; it's a very progressive move for a US president and quite risky for obama to push it through in his first term given size of opposition to it - the tea party had a field day, accusing obama of launching a government takeover of healthcare, when in reality the act is anything but.

still, a massive deal for a country that traditionally prefers a small state. obama might have been smarter to have saved it for his second term.

but i say the reason he's a far better bet for the states than romney is a republican would never consider introducing anything like that. they're small-government tastic.

I don't understand why small villages in Surrey with years of tradition in shit shops that sell strange things and are no use to the community (apart from the dog shop) have to be replaced by a cling of takeaways. I was considering a stiff letter to the council. My mothers only rejoinder is voting UKIP the scatty mare. :lol:

Edited by Park Life

Hey HF, how was the honeymoon?

Fantastic cheers. Yosemite & Monument Valley probably the highlights. Saw Elk and Bobcats and deer and all sorts right outside our door....unfortunately no black bears. San Francisco was the best of the 3 cities we visited. I'll be whacking some photos in the photgraphy forum at some point no doubt...once we get through the 1000s of them we took.

My touchpad hasn't worked since we got back like. I'm sure the bastards at Heathrow who took me aside and unpacked both my bags and x-rayed it twice have broke it. :angry:

Fantastic cheers. Yosemite & Monument Valley probably the highlights. Saw Elk and Bobcats and deer and all sorts right outside our door....unfortunately no black bears. San Francisco was the best of the 3 cities we visited. I'll be whacking some photos in the photgraphy forum at some point no doubt...once we get through the 1000s of them we took.

My touchpad hasn't worked since we got back like. I'm sure the bastards at Heathrow who took me aside and unpacked both my bags and x-rayed it twice have broke it. :angry:

I'm surprised you weren't anally searched on entry to the US given some of hour views about the place. ;)

yosemite is an amazing place like. did you do the tioga pass drive through death valley to vegas? unbelievable drive; as is the pch from LA to san fran. i love the place.