money and happiness

Dr Gloom

You've never been my favorite poster Dr G and this thread doesn't change that one bit, you've been given the greatest gift in life, the means to be able bring life into the world with all the comforts of a perfect middle class life and you're pissing and moaning about nights out with the lads. If this is in some way related to a general sniffiness from your lass it's probably well deserved. Count your blessings knobhead.

You've never been my favorite poster Dr G and this thread doesn't change that one bit, you've been given the greatest gift in life, the means to be able bring life into the world with all the comforts of a perfect middle class life and you're pissing and moaning about nights out with the lads. If this is in some way related to a general sniffiness from your lass it's probably well deserved. Count your blessings knobhead.

Pipe down dipshit; you don't know me or my mrs.

Insults aside, It's not just about going out with the lads, though that freedom you miss once you have a kid is part of it, sure. in general life is just more like hard work now, despite it being more comfortable in many ways.

Yes, I've got a lot to be thankful for but our generation was a pretty selfish one. We all enjoyed our twenties and had kids late. My parents had me and wor kid at 22 and 26. They would have had to grow up fast and wouldn't really bang on about the good old days in the way I am now.

This thread isn't meant to be a boast btw, more a reflection on how life unfolds. Life isnt always easy or fun anymore. It's the flipside of having a proper career and starting a family. Often it's a lot of hard work both at the office and at home.

For the first time I can see why people have mid life crises, walk out on their responsibilities and shag their secretaries or whatever. The more settled and secure you become with career and family, the more challenging life can be in many ways. I'm not about to do that btw, just saying.

That last paragraph I disagree with. Cunts have midlife crisises and cheat on their wife and kids. Go and buy a sports car or something. It says a lot about a person that whatever they have, they always want more.

See Tiger Woods, John Terry, Ronan Keating etc.

Sad sacks

Look at the likes of Hugh Jackman. Could fuck any woman he wanted yet he spends every spare minute with his wife and kids. His Mrs is about as plain looking as you get but he loves her

Look at the likes of Hugh Jackman. Could fuck any woman he wanted yet he spends every spare minute with his wife and kids. His Mrs is about as plain looking as you get but he loves her

But she's famous for liking it up the wrongun' and enjoys helping him go two up on his co-stars - allegedly ;)

Life is what you make it, it's that simple.

Too much time looking back or looking forward and you miss right now.

I do have some sympathy for people stuck in shit relationships and shit jobs, however the answer is always to do something. Change what's wrong or move on.

Money makes life easier, not necessarily happier.

t's friends, family and relationships that make you happy.

I think this is true, 99% of the time.

Not having to worry about paying for bills etc would be wonderful

and so would not having to work, go on great hols etc.

However when my dad died, i;ve never been so unhappy, but i do agree with you, sort of.

Perhaps on reflection this thread should have been less about money and more about yearning for the freedom you have in your youth - in my case a period that extended to early 30s. That time in your life before work and home life become hard graft.

It was a golden era for my generation. I do feel a bit for the kids coming through their 20s in this decade though. Good jobs are going to be harder to find, and perhaps those years won't be as much fun a my lot has it because of that.

On the whole I'm pretty happy like. Not that life is perfect or owt but I know I'm lucky in loads of ways and I'm equally lucky in that, for the most part, I appreciate that.

Mid 30's to mid 40's are the time in life when you become more aware of your own fast approaching mortality leading to all sorts of odd behaviour (mid life crisis).

For some it's a younger woman, others a motorbike or sports car. Basically anything that person interprets as being younger and not older.

It's a big realisation point in most blokes life and some handle it better than others.

I think it depends on past experience as much as current situation as to whether or not you can be happy with your lot.

I think people that have picture perfect upbringings in comfortable circumstances with no worries, healthy families that want for nothing, are more inclined to be unsatisfied with their lot, irrespective of what job they end up in or how their relationships are panning out.

Hard times earlier in life builds a bit of fortitude I think. Those people that see some actual suffering at a young age are better equipped to put work and sex life into perspective when compared to life and death situations.

Could be bollocks like. Just what I observe among the people I see moaning about piffling things most around me. Not saying I have suffered or owt....but that people I've seen suffer are the happiest just to be alive, with the best sense of humour.

Aye, me too. What I should have said was, the people who moan the most are less likely to have had any real adversity. The people that have had some adversity tend to be happier-go-lucky.

I'd be interested to hear of any handicapped posters or orphaned posters or owt that are a proper miserable cunt with it.

Aye, me too. What I should have said was, the people who moan the most are less likely to have had any real adversity. The people that have had some adversity tend to be happier-go-lucky.

I'd be interested to hear of any handicapped posters or orphaned posters or owt that are a proper miserable cunt with it.

My wife has a disability that has deteriorated the last few years and it can be a bit restricting for her and our family as a whole. She and the kids have always been very happy-go-lucky.

In the last few weeks I've heard from two different school friends who've both lost their wives to cancer recently. Another mate from university was just telling me about how his Dad (only in his early 60s) went into hospital with a broken hip and was dead from pnuemonia a couple of weeks later. Puts all that material bollocks into perspective.

Money makes life easier, not necessarily happier.

t's friends, family and relationships that make you happy.

Pretty much. I've seen both ends of the barrel. Right now my life revolves around my kids. Money makes life easier knowing I can provide for them but they provide the happiness (and fucking terror :D )

If I lost everything money wise is still had my wife and kids then it would just make life harder but they would still provide happiness.

I think you need goals and things to aim for. If you had everything I can't see that being fulfilling?