Would a decent assistant manager make a difference?

sammynb

Those with half a brain realise that Pardew is going nowhere for many reasons but I've been thinking about Carver and Stone and their input or lack there of.

Both have the club at heart but it's obvious they are lacking in their ability to contribute when things start to go astray.

So would the team be better off with a more tactically astute assistant manager, a Taylor to Clough?

If so, who?

Those with half a brain realise that Pardew is going nowhere for many reasons but I've been thinking about Carver and Stone and their input or lack there of.

Both have the club at heart but it's obvious they are lacking in their ability to contribute when things start to go astray.

So would the team be better off with a more tactically astute assistant manager, a Taylor to Clough?

If so, who?

Steve Clarke is one of the best assistant managers in the game. ;)

I'd personally go for a Frenchie or a Dutch and really jazz up our total football. :)

Maybe?

I don't know what Carver et al are actually doing.

See that's the thing Carver looks to be doing very little except nod in agreement*

Look at someone like Pat Rice when he was at Arsenal and he seemed to be on his feet barking orders more than Wenger ever did.

*Quick disclaimer here this is based on watching tv coverage and only seeing JC when the camera cuts to Pardou for a reaction.

I don't know what Carver does except standing on the sidelines and having a slight bit of Ben Arfa look to his fuckin face. Guess it's the eyebrows...

Edited by Aeris

See that's the thing Carver looks to be doing very little except nod in agreement*

Look at someone like Pat Rice when he was at Arsenal and he seemed to be on his feet barking orders more than Wenger ever did.

*Quick disclaimer here this is based on watching tv coverage and only seeing JC when the camera cuts to Pardou for a reaction.

Carver is the new Terry Mac.

What position did Carver play?

Strange that we have Steve Stone and Alan Pardew, 2 midfielders, running training and we're so keen to launch balls over the top and bypass midfield altogether. You'd think their speciality would be to have us dominating midfield possession.

What position did Carver play?

Strange that we have Steve Stone and Alan Pardew, 2 midfielders, running training and we're so keen to launch balls over the top and bypass midfield altogether. You'd think their speciality would be to have us dominating midfield possession.

Left back wasn't he??

John Carver is anything but a "yes man". He isn't afraid to stick his oar in if needs be.

Thanks John, it's good to have you on the board.

So what do you think is the problem??

Bobby Robson saw something in Carver.

That's good enough for me.

I always looked at Carver being the motivator, whereas SBR was the tactician.

Pardew is a motivator, Carver is a motivator and two motivators make not a mistake - no that's not correct.

Aye Carver was a leftback. In the juniors behind Kenny Wharton.

I'm told (second hand from someone at the club apparently) that Carver and Stone are allowed virtually no input into training and Pardew does virtually all of it himself.

Also that a lot of time is devoted to pumping long balls at Williamson. And he fails to win most of them!

Aye Carver was a leftback. In the juniors behind Kenny Wharton.

I'm told (second hand from someone at the club apparently) that Carver and Stone are allowed virtually no input into training and Pardew does virtually all of it himself.

Also that a lot of time is devoted to pumping long balls at Williamson. And he fails to win most of them!

One my my mates knew one lad who was in our academy around the time of Allardyce.

Remember that Monday night draw against Arsenal when Smith put in a decent shift against us? He said that most of the training that week was aimed at punting long-balls to Arsenal's left-back (assuming it was Clichy) to try and exploit him being weak in the air. :jesuswept:

One my my mates knew one lad who was in our academy around the time of Allardyce.

Remember that Monday night draw against Arsenal when Smith put in a decent shift against us? He said that most of the training that week was aimed at punting long-balls to Arsenal's left-back (assuming it was Clichy) to try and exploit him being weak in the air. :jesuswept:

As bad as that is, at least it was thought out and aimed at taking an advantage of an identified weakness in the opposition. What we're doing now seems to be just trying to teach our centreback how to win a ball in the air. Surely that should have happened well before we ever signed him!