standing at st james' park?!

will91newcastle

I'm sure it will suit some but I would rather sit, particularly if I have the bairns with me.

He never said there's a rumour where they're going to replace every seat for terraces yet the amount of people who don't want to stand always reject it and say they're against it when in reality it's about giving people the choice.

I don't think it will happen mores the pity.

He never said there's a rumour where they're going to replace every seat for terraces yet the amount of people who don't want to stand always reject it and say they're against it when in reality it's about giving people the choice.

I don't think it will happen mores the pity.

That's why I said Im sure it will suit some :lol:

I think it was a better atmosphere when unseated but I also missed lots of action due to tall peeps and those wankers who used to insist on scarf waving and putting.kids on their bloody shoulders. (I was a teenager at the time so.a short arse.

Edited by scoobos

That's why I said Im sure it will suit some :lol:

I know CT but I was at work, stressed and on my phone. Had a little discussion on other boards in the past on this subject and it always surprises me that those that would like to sit think everyone should have to as well. You took their place in this thread. No need for thanks.

Safe standing areas are a no brainer for me. They give people the choice, increase capacity of the stadium and create a better atmosphere. The cost of installing them would easily be out weighed by increased ticket sales. If SJP had one it would the first area sold out for every match. Look at how well it works in Germany, they can easily convert them back to a seated area for European matchs where standing is prohibited. Its all win, win as far as I can see.

Why would the authorities who were so pleased to use the Hillsborough disaster as an excuse to shove all seaters onto us (when there was no blame on fans or the stadium facilities and entirely on police incompetence), who are happiest to have every person in their seat, the vast majority with a name and address on record, with no concerns for picking out unidentified "trouble makers" in a sea of standing bodies, with an easily stewarded situation like that, why would they choose to undo all of that when the result is cost neutral for them at best?

As much as I'd like to see it, it's a pipe dream, dangled in our faces every year or two but never to happen. There will be no going back... unless crowds get so low it harms the premier league brand image abroad and TV deals start to suffer.

Why would the authorities who were so pleased to use the Hillsborough disaster as an excuse to shove all seaters onto us (when there was no blame on fans or the stadium facilities and entirely on police incompetence), who are happiest to have every person in their seat, the vast majority with a name and address on record, with no concerns for picking out unidentified "trouble makers" in a sea of standing bodies, with an easily stewarded situation like that, why would they choose to undo all of that when the result is cost neutral for them at best?

As much as I'd like to see it, it's a pipe dream, dangled in our faces every year or two but never to happen. There will be no going back... unless crowds get so low it harms the premier league brand image abroad and TV deals start to suffer.

Democracy

For exactly that reason, the authorities blamed the fans for the Hillsborough disaster and hid behind it for 20+ years, now the truth has finally emerged (even though the vast majority of football fans always knew the truth) to still use that as an excuse not to intergrate safe standing areas would be admitting the autorities, police and stewarding have not improved at all, in that time.

However, I do see why you're pessimistic about the chances of safe standing areas actually comming to fruition. The authorities could just hide behind any number of health and safety issues (justified or not) and drag the whole proccess out for years and years!

Nice to think one day we could all be standing in the Gallowgate with double the capacity it is now though :nufc:

Nice to think one day we could all be standing in the Gallowgate with double the capacity it is now though :nufc:

The proposed "safe standing" areas are pretty much the same capacity as current seated areas. There would be negligible capacity uplift.

There are a number of bottlenecks that would stop capacity uplift, one being the number of stairwells available and another being the availability of exits, the number of people allowed in the bar areas at once etc. Fire safety regulations would be broken left right and centre - it's not simply a case of converting seats to rails.

This could change with new stands or purpose built standing stadia, but it's not as straightforward as it sounds.

Edited by BigWalrus

The proposed "safe standing" areas are pretty much the same capacity as current seated areas. There would be negligible capacity uplift.

There are a number of bottlenecks that would stop capacity uplift, one being the number of stairwells available and another being the availability of exits, the number of people allowed in the bar areas at once etc. Fire safety regulations would be broken left right and centre - it's not simply a case of converting seats to rails.

This could change with new stands or purpose built standing stadia, but it's not as straightforward as it sounds.

Given that we are club with European ambitions the the ‘rail seat’ model would most appropraite for us. This facilitates the inclusion of up to 80% more supporters than a seated area of similar size. The 'rail seat' model places 2 supporters per seat while in standing mode, the reason the upllift will only give 80 and not 100% of a similar sized seated area is because it has to incorperate wider rows and wider ailses and therefore less seats. Exits for access and egress may prove to be harder to resolve but considering its a reletively new built stand i can't see why a club of our size couldn't rectify these problems. This may not be double the capacity as I hopefully predicted but it's certainly not negligible.

As I said though, there are numerous issues the aurthorities could point out to stop this happening, as you've just proved.

Surely if it could be shown (with the Bundesliga as a working example) that the brand wouldn't be damaged and could in fact be improved, the decision makers would be content to permit it?

The biggest complaint I've heard from match going fans is the atmosphere. Now, rather than spend money on fireworks, a cheerleading team, pathetic cloying attempts to "gee up" the crowd, the clubs could make money by allocating areas for terracing?

Surely if it could be shown (with the Bundesliga as a working example) that the brand wouldn't be damaged and could in fact be improved, the decision makers would be content to permit it?

The biggest complaint I've heard from match going fans is the atmosphere. Now, rather than spend money on fireworks, a cheerleading team, pathetic cloying attempts to "gee up" the crowd, the clubs could make money by allocating areas for terracing?

"If"

The Premier league is already the richest league in the world, why would it want to emulate the Bundesliga? The Premier League brand is already better than theirs.

We as fans would like standing, but it offers no benefits to club owners, the league, the FA or the law makers. A sanitised game is much preferable to them.