This measles epidemic..

catmag

I assume most parents didnt want their kids dying of measles so bit the bullet

When you look at the sheer numbers of parents now panicking and flooding to health centres, it looks like that wasn't the case. This Wales epidemic appears to now be moving into England with the health service expecting large numbers of parents now wanting it for their kids after refusing it when it was offered to them.

I remember at the height of the mmr scare, I think about 10 - 12 years ago, a lot of whay you would class as middle class parents were very scared of getting their kids vaccinated due to the supposed "new findings and links to autism".

Ours have all been done but I know quite a few people who really agonised over what to do.

When you look at the sheer numbers of parents now panicking and flooding to health centres, it looks like that wasn't the case. This Wales epidemic appears to now be moving into England with the health service expecting large numbers of parents now wanting it for their kids after refusing it when it was offered to them.

If you refused it first time round, is it still free?

(Mine both got it btw)

If you refused it first time round, is it still free?

(Mine both got it btw)

Aye as it's still a recommended vaccine for by the Dept of Health for all children in the UK, even if they're older.

is that not because he didn't get the mmr though? so he had no protection.

I remember people getting it around 16 when you were due to leave school because they hadn't received it as a kid.

I'm assuming when they say "parents of children" it's also refering to people who had kids which are now people 20-30 and opt'd not to get them the dose brought out back then.

Im just think of anyone older who never got it. such as me :(

Cat,

Given the fella who just died was in his twentys, whats the craic with nurses and other adults catching it from infected kids?

It's possible to catch it, but adult immune systems can deal with it better than kids and it mainly presents in children up to the age of 18 (most commonly in pre-school children though) I don't know what the full story is of the man in his 20's who died - whether he had any underlying medical conditions etc which is often the case.

Im just think of anyone older who never got it. such as me :(

You were born before 1970 so almost certainly have acquired it naturally. People born between 1970 and 1980 (and younger people not vaccinated) are at most risk. That's me btw.

Parky's got a lot to answer for.

It's possible to catch it, but adult immune systems can deal with it better than kids and it mainly presents in children up to the age of 18 (most commonly in pre-school children though) I don't know what the full story is of the man in his 20's who died - whether he had any underlying medical conditions etc which is often the case.

Don't think that's true. Adults who are naive of the virus are most at risk of complications and death iirc.

I can understand parents being wary of the vaccine 10 years ago in the height of the scaremongering, but do think it's foolish to not let the bairns have it now. I refused to let my then 9-month old have the swine flu jab in 2009 when he was "sent for" by the GP surgery.

I can understand parents being wary of the vaccine 10 years ago in the height of the scaremongering, but do think it's foolish to not let the bairns have it now. I refused to let my then 9-month old have the swine flu jab in 2009 when he was "sent for" by the GP surgery.

Why? That's worked out ok with hindsight, but what if there had been a genuine serious epidemic? Why take he risk?

I missed my annual flu jab this year through negligence. My new year was ruined by flu.

Why? That's worked out ok with hindsight, but what if there had been a genuine serious epidemic? Why take he risk?

I missed my annual flu jab this year through negligence. My new year was ruined by flu.

Because I read an awful lot around the subject and made the decision based on the fact the drug was rushed through, unable to ascertain the long-term effects and he was only 9 months old with an immature immune system. I absolutely wrestled with my conscience about it but I wouldn't dream of giving him a regular flu jab at that age and the "Swine Flu" was a sensationalised variant of regular flu. Yes people died from it but I see people die of "flu" annually - it's not just whipped up into a media frenzy. Obviously I cacked myself every time he sneezed for the rest of the winter but I'm happy with my informed choice at the time.

As for missing your flu jab? My grandma had the jab and got rampant flu and she won't ever have it again. We're offered the flu jab every year at work - some years I've had it and some years I've not but am yet to get flu in any form. (Famous last words :lol:)

Never had a flu jab. The flu remains shit scared of me.

It avoids you cos it wouldn't be able to put up with your fucking whingeing if you actually caught it :P