Barrack Road - Got caught speeding

ajax_andy

No idea where the speed van was as didn't see anything when driving down the road but got a letter through stating I was doing 35 in a 30 zone.

A few people have mentioned they've also been caught there too so just giving people a head's up that the police are clearly hiding in a sneaky spot to catch people out... so watch your speed

does my heed in the fact they do you for going 5 miles over. In my opinion, a safer driver is one that watches the road, not one that is constantly looking down at their speedo to make sure it isn't creeping up

Aye it's annoying like, but I know it's a 30 so really only have myself to blame.

More annoying is that the van was parked somewhere completely hidden so I had no idea it was there... pretty sneaky

It's not hidden. It parks outside the Leazes Court flats, opposite the old barracks.

Still a pain in the hoop.

Are they giving you the option of a speed awareness course?

Not sure yet, just had to send back a form stating it was me driving... hopefully I'll get to do the course though

does my heed in the fact they do you for going 5 miles over. In my opinion, a safer driver is one that watches the road, not one that is constantly looking down at their speedo to make sure it isn't creeping up

They still give you 10% leeway don't they? If your speed is creeping more than 10% you're not a good driver imo.

I will say the motorway speed limits need to be adjusted to take into account the advances in car technology, but surely 30 is reasonable for the city centre?

Cars have evolved over the decades, human bodies haven't.

Hence the speed limits staying what they are.

It's not that hard to stay within the limits tbh.

( I say this from the pov of someone with 6 points , for two speeding tickets , 36mph and 34mph- I can't afford to get done again so I stay below, you get used to it remarkably quickly ).

Got done by a mobile unit on the road out of South Shields approaching the tunnel a few months back. There's a 500 yard stretch from Tyne Dock that is a 30 limit. 3 miles of road between there and Laygate is a 40 limit and the mile after it up to the Tunnel is 40. So the police park behind the bushes before the petrol station, sit back and rake in the money.

The speed awareness course i did off the back of it wasn't too bad really. Worst thing was the daftess adding to the time we were there trying to justify their speeding and argue the injustice of it all.

Did the speed awareness course recently on back of a 35 in a 30 clocking mishap shame .

Definately a better/safer driver as a result of course and found it a real wake-up call after 'getting away' with zipping about like a divvy in the past . Like many I initially did it to defer the points and ultimately save on insurace . .

. . however

DESPITE WHAT THEY SAY AT COURSE - BEWARE some insurance conpanies have it in their terms y must declare attendance on course, hergo higher insurance ! Blag it and (Fod forbid) you're involved in an accident it nulifues your insurance.

Admiral (typically who I'm with and always been cheapest for me) deffo do it and can imagine the others will have caught on . Kerching .

Found this out afterwards and it makes no sense other than to shareholders . Daylight robbery to cover cost of the shunt gangs .

. . Oh and for added fun , in terms of an insurance penalty, this stays on insurance for FIVE years despite points actively being removed after 3 (iirc)

Don't speed folks !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20328860

Also be aware that after being nabbed you'll be so much more aware of, and angered by tailgate wankers as you pootle about like Driving Miss Daisy ;)

They still give you 10% leeway don't they? If your speed is creeping more than 10% you're not a good driver imo.

I will say the motorway speed limits need to be adjusted to take into account the advances in car technology, but surely 30 is reasonable for the city centre?

Learn on course that 75% of accidents occur within 5 miles of 'home' and in built up areas.

Average speed of accident on motorway, startlunly id 17mph or so and motorway accidents only account for 15% or so as opposed to the above.

Hence the cameras in built up areas .

No idea where the speed van was as didn't see anything when driving down the road but got a letter through stating I was doing 35 in a 30 zone.

A few people have mentioned they've also been caught there too so just giving people a head's up that the police are clearly hiding in a sneaky spot to catch people out... so watch your speed

I got done there a few years ago and I still haven't got a clue where the camera was. I did 36 driving up there towards the BBC Newcastle building. (Didn't even know it was a 30 zone at the time).

I took the points and fine and told them to stick the course as I'm not one who tear arses around and who keeps to the limit normally.