The best and worst of recent comedy shows

Django Reinhardt

Black Books

Absolutely, one of my all time favourite comedies (See sig) - Dylan Moran is just brilliant and has a fantastic stand up dvd out as well.

80021[/snapback]

good shout, i have his DVD, really funny guy!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I just reiterate I hate little Britain.

80220[/snapback]

I heard the other day that one of my favourite Little Britain characters, Anne the nutter, was stolen from a bit of ad-lib the League of Gentlemen lads were doing when Walliams was hanging around with them, don't know if that's true.

80225[/snapback]

I know the League of Gentleman had a sort of similar character. One of them would play this very timid and well spoken lass who was going for an audition for a play. She'd then just make weird noises like Anne all the way through. ;)

80220[/snapback]

I heard the other day that one of my favourite Little Britain characters, Anne the nutter, was stolen from a bit of ad-lib the League of Gentlemen lads were doing when Walliams was hanging around with them, don't know if that's true.

80225[/snapback]

I know the League of Gentleman had a sort of similar character. One of them would play this very timid and well spoken lass who was going for an audition for a play. She'd then just make weird noises like Anne all the way through. :rolleyes:

80455[/snapback]

Ech-ooze-meh hag-goo a baattle-orang-goose-playz?

Ech-ooze-meh hag-goo a baattle-orang-goose-playz?

80493[/snapback]

"Scood-beef hag ani-body got any bokkl oraang joooos", surely! :rolleyes:

It was one they never did anything with, apparently, I will actually ask where the info came from today.

I went to see them live (the first time, not the recent panto one) and they were fanfuckintastic.

'Who fancies a game of Gojohnnygogogogo?'  :rolleyes:

80538[/snapback]

:yes

80220[/snapback]

80225[/snapback]

Doesnt surprise me. EVerything else is a rip off.

I really liked Early Doors. I thought My Name is Earl is looking alright as well. Probably the best comedy that's on at the moment is Arrested Development, I just wish the BBC wouls stop fucking about with the times. Also a special mention to Black Books, which I thought was very funny and hasn't been mentioned on this thread yet.

79804[/snapback]

Any American Sitcom that the BBC buys is doomed to failure because they refuse to give them a run in a suitable spot. It's all bought as late night filler.

Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Family Guy spring to mind as others that could be huge but the BBC refuse to give a good slot.

I suppose they have to justify the license fee with original British comedy, but I wish they'd leave it to channel 4 rather than buying it and fucking with it.

'Curb Your Enthusiasm' is on More4. Did the Beeb have it first?

80775[/snapback]

They fucked about with the first 2 seasons on BBC 3 for a while so you never knew when it was on. You're best off getting the DVD's than trusting the BBC.

'Curb Your Enthusiasm' is on More4. Did the Beeb have it first?

80775[/snapback]

They fucked about with the first 2 seasons on BBC 3 for a while so you never knew when it was on. You're best off getting the DVD's than trusting the BBC.

80781[/snapback]

Hardly ever saw Seinfeld on normal telly either, always catch it on Paramount.

Quite liked the Scottish hotel owner.

80754[/snapback]

:rolleyes: I also like Mr Man (the character that goes into the shop and asks for incredibley obtuse things).

The 'Pirate Memory Game' sketch could have come from classic Two Ronnies.

80925[/snapback]

Hmmmmm.

I like that Pirate memory game sketch and my brother loves it, but The Two Ronnies were far superior, their sketches were clever. The wordplay on fork handles/four candles sketch or the bloke who answers the last question asked are superb.

Pirate memory came is just, as you say, obtuse. It's bizarre. It won't be as funny in twenty years as some of the Ronnies stuff is now.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently there is NOT going to be a series four of Peep Show. Channel 4 not likely to commision it as it's too expensive for the 1.3 million viewers it averaged last series. :doubleact::o

Also can anyone point my browser towards Peep Show series one at a reasonable price?

Apparently there is NOT going to be a series four of Peep Show. Channel 4 not likely to commision it as it's too expensive for the 1.3 million viewers it averaged last series.  :doubleact:  :o

Also can anyone point my browser towards Peep Show series one at a reasonable price?

89179[/snapback]

Cheapest you can get it at the moment is £13.99 here

You can get Series 2 for only £7.69 here though.

And if you want to find stuff at a reasonable price in future, use this

• 10 months later...

The Thick of It

The best comedy of 2005 in my opinion. A razor sharp satire of British politics with Chris Langham and Peter Capaldi brilliant in their respective roles as the somnambulant minister and the acerbic communications director. A street smart and savage take on the Yes Minister dynamic that is as daring as it is hilarious. I just hope they make another series of this and a good six parter at least, not these piffling three parters that leave you hankering for so much more. Armando's name is yet again a mark of quality and long may it continue (though I guess in a few years he'll probably be writing musicals with Andrew Lloyd Webber).

Christmas special.

BBC4

Now

:lol:

little britain has out stayed its welcome.

the thick of it was excellent observational humour.

still have not seen the mighty boosh yet.....

oh and darkplace was released in 04. but is still really really good.

did anyone see the dean learner series on 4 recently thought that had some good moments...

did anyone see the dean learner series on 4 recently thought that had some good moments...

Some very funny moments but I couldn't enjoy it because it was just a blatant rip off of Knowing Me, Knowing You.

I'll probably get lynched for saying this but I thought the IT Crowd wasn't too bad once it got going and i'm looking forward to the second series.

The Boosh is coming back for a third series too which is great news. I've got the live DVD and it's very, very good.

Mighty Boosh

Mighty Boosh 2

Mighty Boosh live

Dean Learner

Garth Marengi's Darkplace

Aressted Development

American Dad

Britians Hardest

:lol: Add Ross Kemp on Gangs to that list. Comedy gold.