Opposition View Q&A for Villa away

Loyalvillan

Hi All

Wondering if anyone was interested in doing a Q&A for the avillafan.com Fan site? nothing too arduous just about 12 questions on Villa, The Toon and Football in general!

Toontastic.net will get full credit and links to your fine site provided on our main page!

Let me know ya'll!

Loyalvillan

Well guys here are the questions, please fee free to add a little banter in if you wish, just please keep it friendly! ;)

1. Newcastle Owner Mike Ashley made a very controversial appointment for Director Of Football in Joe Kinnear, how do you feel about this and how it has apparently undermined Alan Pardew?

2. Newcastle were quite inactive in the Transfer Market this summer only signing Remy, what do you think of this and should Newcastle have added more signings in preparation for the coming season? and where do you think you needed strengthening?

3. In the 2011/12 season Newcastle were the surprise package playing some great football and finishing just 4 points off Champions League football, why do you think the wheels fell off last season and who was to blame?

4. How do you think you will do this season with regards to the final finishing position in the league?

5. On the Villa, what do you think of the "project" underway at Villa park with Paul Lamberts policy of only buying young, hungry up and coming players instead of the experienced pros?

6. Villa Managed to keep hold of our star player in Benteke and got him to sign a new 4 year deal after he (or his agent) submitted a transfer request? and how good do you think he could become?

7. What are your feelings about Aston Villa as a Club and Fanbase?

8. Where do you think Villa will finish in the league this year and why?

9. Benteke aside, which Villa player would you like to sign for Newcaslte?

10. Who do you feel will finish in the top 4 and bottom 3?

11. and finally match predictions?

many thanks for your help Guys!

1. Fucking hell, how long have you got? My opinion (and this is backed up by NE journos) is that Ashley wanted a Director of Football to act as a go-between between the chief scout, Graham Carr and Pardew which, IMO, is a perfectly fine position to fill. The issue lies in the fact that Joe Kinnear was not that man. There's a conspiracy theory that Ashley had no intention to buy any players anyway as he'd spent £20 million in January so Kinnear was a perfect choice in the sense that he'd fail to get any sort of deal over the line but I believe it's just another notch in the bedpost of incompetence that is Mike Ashley's NUFC.

2. We needed another striker and another right back, without doubt. Remy is a talented player, no doubt but had he not been available for loan, we'd have never signed him. Losing Perch isn't too much of a loss as young players like Bigirimana and Vuckic should be getting more game time anyway but he was versatile and solid and that's something we've lost and haven't recovered. If we suffer a similar injury crisis to last year, we're in serious shit.

3. Not capitalising on the momentum we had in the summer was the major factor IMO. We needed to really pack the squad with solid hands for Europe as well as improving on the likes of Danny Simpson. Instead, we only signed a (very decent tbf) central midfielder in Anita and things stagnated. As injuries piled up and results worsened, Pardew felt the pressure and resorted to long ball tactics and was far too cautious at home and it never really abated, even when the January signings came in. He went from using every member of the squad perfectly to completely wasting them in favour of his ineffective tactics. Thus far, not a lot seems to have changed but the last 30 minutes at Fulham seen us attack with pace, move it along the floor quickly and look dangerous. I'm cautiously optimistic that Pardew will see sense if we have a good run of games.

4. Being Newcastle, we'll get stupid injuries so we'll finish top of the bottom half. If the first XI (plus three game changing subs) stays fit and Pardew plays to their strengths, rather than forcing his long ball bullshit on them, there's no reason we can't finish Top 8. Though, I think top 8 is about the best we can hope for.

5. I like it. It's a transfer model rarely seen in England but if Lambert proves to be a tremendous eye for young talent, it'll pay off for you. I like his process of moving on the likes of Ireland, Bent etc. and really paving the way for others to make an impression and stake a claim in the side. I'm not too sure on who you've signed but I'm certain you'll have a solid season.

6. I really rate him but contracts mean next to nothing in this world. Another good season and he'll be away. At least if he goes for £15 million or so, you have a set-up that will reinvest. We're not so lucky.

7. Despite our standing in the game being embarrassing in the relegation season, I thought your banners and general carry-on on the day we went down, was even more so. As far as I'm concerned, our revenge came in the 6-0 when we came back up. Now, I'm not really bothered in the slightest.

8. Anywhere in that no man's land between 9th and 16th

9. If I was Mike Ashley, I'd sign Shay Given to sell some shirts but on a football level, I like Weimann.

1. Chelsea

2. Man United

3. Arsenal

4. Man City

18. Cardiff

19. Palace

20. Hull

11. A hard fought but well earned 1-1 away draw for us. We'll score first with Cisse.

1. Pardew can't moan really as he, like JFK, was also a drinking mate brought in to further Ashley's cause, nepotism seems to be the Ashley way. What his cause is? Well, money.

2. More goals was is our main priority. Ashley penny pinching again so we got a loanee, with no option to keep, who might be done for rape. Assuming Ashley doesn't install a meth lab run by under age prostitutes it would be difficult to tarnish our club much further, whereas QPR were happy to shift him out while the cloud's over him. He looks good though, so hopefully this poor girl will accept a decent pay off and we can get 20 goals off him this season.

3. Pardew is not a top 6 manager; we had some hungry new players, Ba was fantastic and Cisse was scoring with his cock out. I reluctantly conclude that the blend of the team that season was serendipitous rather than deserved.

4. Anywhere between 8 and 18 depending on injuries and crowd anger.

5. Requires immense confidence and nerve to have that approach, but it's worked so far.

6. Excellent work to be fair. He looks the business. You probably need to squeeze into Europe to hang onto him if he keeps improving.

7. My girlfriend is from your neck of the woods and her parents are Villans. Her folks are alright, and obviously she's canny enough; nay accent. ;) My having no previous exposure other than the aforementioned, I thought your lot were okay. However, the first time I met her cousin, whilst exposing his massive Villa tattoo, he gleefully regaled about how 'fucking delighted' he was that we were relegated at your ground. I also met a Villan at a conference a few weeks before we went down who was also absolutely cock-a-hoop that we were facing the drop, really fucking basking in it; Glowing. I understand hating local rivals and resenting clubs who have had loads of success, but we are just another also ran, insignificant, perennial failures, so why the hate? If one of you can adequately explain this to me then that might help me move on from thinking you're a bunch of cunts.

8. 9th or 14th

10. top - Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Man U. Liverpool could just do it though, the fuckers. Spurs to stutter again.

bottom - Palace, Sunderland, Hull

11. 0 - 0 and boring as fuck.

Edited by trophyshy

1. I don't think any fan of any club would feel any different. A shambles of a man and a joke appointment.

2. The fact Shola Ameobi is still getting starts is no good. Needed strike cover capable of playing more than 30 minutes. I'm not as angry as others seem though. It's more about a lack of momentum than lack of quality in the first team.

3. We didn't play great stuff generally when we finished 5th. Man U, Villa and west brom were our best performances. Apart from those games we played cagey, unambitious, tight, organised football relying on the best conversion rates in the league from Ba and cisse. The drop off was all that performances deserved and the loss of Ba magnified it.

4. Mid table

5. It has been very refreshing to see Lambert be backed through a run of bad results and come out the other end with excellent performances from a young team. I was peeved you put such a run together to stay up (we won't forget). But you deserved to and should be well clear this year. But...

6. Benteke is clearly the difference for you. I think he'll keep banging them away... But it's a catch 22 for villa because if he does he'll be of next summer. You should get top dollar now though, at least.

7. Not great. Who makes signs to take the Piss out of opponents being relegated? Couple of Wanker's maybe, but they have tarnished you for Newcastle fans.... Would expect some ribbing, but it was like yous had won the cup. A year later, Plymouth applauded us put up a "well done" banner and played "we are the champions" when we won the championship down there. A much classier act.

8. Mid table. I think the early season performances have been excellent, following great form at the end of last season. But points haven't necessarily gone on the board when they should and that's what the game is about.

9. Weimann had a great game against us.

10. While everyone has been slating Wenger and his squad I'm still tipping them to do well. Every other club has a new manager and I reckon he'll have the experience for a push where others will falter. Arsenal, Chelsea, man city, Liverpool. Reckon Moyes has fucked up this window. Manc mates are blaming their DOF. But I can see they're already nervous and ready to turn. Despite claims of patience. Spurs' new players will click next season and won't be ready to win the points Bale did. Palace, Cardiff and hull to go down.

11. A Remy inspired 1 nil to Newcastle. Benteke nullified by our CB's who are starting to gel with a few clean sheets on the trot.

Well guys here are the questions, please fee free to add a little banter in if you wish, just please keep it friendly! ;)

1. Newcastle Owner Mike Ashley made a very controversial appointment for Director Of Football in Joe Kinnear, how do you feel about this and how it has apparently undermined Alan Pardew?

Embarrassed. This man wouldn't get a job at any other top flight club, perhaps even at any pro club in the country. You almost have to laugh, otherwise you'd cry.

2. Newcastle were quite inactive in the Transfer Market this summer only signing Remy, what do you think of this and should Newcastle have added more signings in preparation for the coming season? and where do you think you needed strengthening?

Pathetic. And yet utterly predictable. Ashley has lowered expectations to the point that we all saw it coming because he happened to spend more than ten bob in January.

3. In the 2011/12 season Newcastle were the surprise package playing some great football and finishing just 4 points off Champions League football, why do you think the wheels fell off last season and who was to blame?

Well Pardew wasn't backed the previous summer and the so there was no momentum. Ba, who scored a good chunk of our goals the previous season was sold. Cisse's form stuttered. Tactically, Pardew struggled to find his best 11, an how to line them up. Arguably we overachieved the season and underachieved last season. Mid table is probably our natural level.

4. How do you think you will do this season with regards to the final finishing position in the league?

Depends if Ashley panic buys again in January. We'll do we'll to finish too half. 14-16 is my prediction based on lack of momentum, new faces and generally dark cloud hanging over the place.

5. On the Villa, what do you think of the "project" underway at Villa park with Paul Lamberts policy of only buying young, hungry up and coming players instead of the experienced pros?

At least you're buying some players.

6. Villa Managed to keep hold of our star player in Benteke and got him to sign a new 4 year deal after he (or his agent) submitted a transfer request? and how good do you think he could become?

Looks a quality player tbf. But then we thought that about cisse after he scored almost a goal a game on arrival and he's suffered he difficult second season syndrome, so who knows.

Nice ground. Underachieving, sleeping giant. Similar to Newcastle in the lack of recent success stakes given the clubs's potential. Lost a lot of respect for the fans after mocking us with pre-prepares banners the season we were relegated. An odd move given the lack of hostile rivalry between the two sets of supporters. You have a reputation for bing one of the bland and quiet set if supporter so out of character in that sense too.

I don't have much of an opinion there but I suspect you'll be one where alongside us and the other also rans in lower mid table obscurity.

As long audit wasn't Stephen Ireland, I wouldn't be fussed. At least it would be a signing.

The usual suspects. The 'best league in the world' is pretty predictable in that regard.

Home win. We're not the best on the road. I'd take a draw

Jesus thats a question and a half. Short answer its a disgrace and an embarrassment to the club best summed up with his fucking talksport rantings.

We've not done enough, we've not enough depth upfront, on the left of midfield or at right back for me. Remy will be a good player for us hopefully playing for a place in the world cup squad (which can be said of some of our under performers from last season too) but him alone is not enough. Still think we'll be safe though.

We seemed like a different team in every regard last season, nothing worked which led to some terrible football being played, add in an unbelievable injury list and those players who could stay fit not performing and you have us damn near relegated. I wouldn't say any one person was to blame, the board let us down in summer showing little ambition to push on, the manager couldn't get the best from the players or a system and the players were not performing.

Better than last, some playing for a world cup spot, January signings settled at the club and in the league and, so far, a better style of football producing 4 points from 3 games. The City result was poor but they'll do that to better than us this season somewhere along the line anyway.

Could've backfired badly last season but now you've got a settled team I think you'll be fine. you seem to have good pace through the team that will make you dangerous and, of course, that monstrous sod up front who looks to be the real deal.

Looks to be an excellent player, still young and carrying his scoring into this season. It'll take another year or two to see if he IS going to be a top player but if he carries through on this early promise then...I wouldn't fancy playing Belgium any time soon.

I used to have basically no opinion on you, you were just one of those "other" teams. The glee in our relegation changed that though and tbh, I'd take some small happiness from the same happening to you in the near future now.

Midtable, safe earlier than you were last season.

Weimann looks decent to me, in a position we could do with depth in.

Top 4, chelsea, city, man u, arsenal. bottom 3 Im really unsure on.

score draw.

One of the worst decisions in the clubs history.

We needed three players not one, Ashley is a disgrace, we need a right winger, two more strikers as a must.

Pardew's tactics were a joke, as was waiting till January to strengthen

I think we'll come 17th.

I think Lambert will become a top top class manager at a big club one day, he's Scottish, great attitude, and great work ethic.

The first 3 or 4 times I saw him I wondered if he was Heskey, but I've had to eat humble pie, he could easily be top scorer in this league one day.

At the start of this piece, you said keep it friendly, and you seem like a nice bloke, but I genuinely believe in my heart of hearts Aston Villa are one of the most irrelevant boring entities in life. You should wear brown tops with beige shorts. I never had much of an opinion on Villa till the day we were relegated and I was sat in the Holte End. I couldn't believe how important we were to you, see if we relegated Villa before that day I'd have been shaking your hands outside the ground and saying you'll sharp be back up. It shows how threatened the likes of Villa and Everton fans are by Newcastle over the last 20 years that there was such jubilation. I think your fanbase is less than a third of ours, and being the biggest club in the second biggest city in Britain, I think you should be far bigger than what you are. You sell out about twice a season max, in a medium sized ground, without giving it the billy big bollocks crack, Newcastle United make significantly more money than you, every season, have significantly more fans, therefore should have higher aspirations than Aston Villa. I don't think there's anything that can be debated about that sentence.

10th haven't been disgraced in three games against some of the best sides in the league.

I know he's been shite for Villa, but I'd still have Charlie back even now.

Top 4

1 Man Utd 2 Chelsea 3 Man City 4 Liverpool

Bottom 3

18 Hull 19 Palace 20 WBA

Villa 2 Newcastle 1

Joe Kinnear is a bull's Knacker who shouldn't be near a PL club, Pardew is a lucky man to be at a PL club after being sacked by a 3rd division club then getting an offer to manage us. They're cheap and trusted to do as they're told by the number one problem my club has which is being owned by the biggest cunt to have ever darkened our doors in the thirty odd years I've supported NUFC.

The biggest cunt to have ever darkened our doors in the thirty odd years I've supported NUFC didn't reinforce last summer when despite finishing fifth, it was clear we needed strengthening, so having realised he was in danger of relegation and losing money he bought what was needed to stay up. This summer he thinks he doesn't need to spend because he bought five players in Jan.

Mike Ashley, 'the biggest cunt to have ever darkened our doors in the thirty odd years I've supported NUFC.'

We'll get knocked out the cups early as the worst manager we've ever had for cup games waves the white flag and plays half a side of players not good enough and just as importantly disrupts any semblance of a settled team so the opposition virtually get a bye to the next round and the longest run of a big club without a trophy gets another year notched on the record. League wise I expect us to be in the bottom half.

It's a good policy but you need the right players and you need the right manager and more importantly you need a bit of experience alongside them. Ossie Ardiles was forced to play youth in our side in the early nineties and despite the youth being good young talented players we were nearly relegated to the 3rd division for the first time in our history. KK took over and brought in Brian Kilkline staight away to help remedy this and we stayed up by the skin of our teeth, the year after he brought four good experienced footballers into the team and we never looked back winning promotion then finishing in the top 6 of the PL for our first four seasons. (He's tactically naive though, so I'm told).

No idea to be honest, if he keeps his form up there's fuck all chance he'll remain an Aston Villa player which is a sad indictment of our game. Get a good season out of him and sell while you can get top dollar as he's signed a new deal, that's what you're club would've told his agent when he signed the new deal.

I once got ejected from Villa Park after Alan McInally equalised a Mirandinha goal for us in our relegation season of 1988 after the last of our World class trio was sold, (Gazza). Had to watch through a crack in the wooden gates near the away end with two Villa fans who'd also been chucked out, they were two good kids as it happened and in later years a few of us had a bit of a drink with some Villa lads in Bromsgrove before going to the match with them then back to Bromsgrove afterwards for a gargle. Was good craic......but......not just the relegation match where your fanbase went totally OTT, but before that, clubs like ourselves, Man City, Spurs and Everton would get Billy Bullshitters spouting on the internet usually as all were just frustrated about their clubs and trying to gain some dignatas for their under achieving clubs, a bit like two bald men arguing over a comb if you will. Anyway, in short, as KK once nearly said, 'you down in my estimation after that'. I was near the few you brought up for the 6-0 hiding and that was immensely satisfying. In short, I'll take the piss out of you, recognise your standing in the game and history and take internet bullshitters with a pinch of salt.

No idea, depends if Lambert gets the blend of experience and youth right. You wont be relegated and may well be a steady eddie side, you will have far more idea about Villa players than me.

I'd take a striker if you offered one.

Top 4? Couldn't give a fuck, the games rigged.

I used to love playing Villa as we had a decent record but I don't rate Pardew or his thinking in games like this, I dunno, I still feel like we might get at least a point in this for some reason.

Thanks for the replies Guys, although i feel i must point something out,

The majority of Aston Villa fans were embarrassed by the minority on the Bannergate Day, however i accept that some in the ground at the time got carried away with your relegation.

I was not one of them and have always liked the Toon and wished you well! this may sound like i am just sucking you off to gain favour but this is not the case! but i understand you reactions to this. last season i ended up in Shearers bar before the first game of the season and the reception we got was very hostile indeed, in particular from a Guy i loving refer to as capt hook (he had a withered hand! i know its wrong but the grief i had from him was unreal!).

Hope we can get past this because no Fans should be tarred with the same brush as the minority! just as not all Toon fans go round punching horses eh?

The majority of Aston Villa fans were embarrassed by the minority on the Bannergate Day, however i accept that some in the ground at the time got carried away with your relegation.

I was not one of them and have always liked the Toon and wished you well! this may sound like i am just sucking you off to gain favour but this is not the case! but i understand you reactions to this. last season i ended up in Shearers bar before the first game of the season and the reception we got was very hostile indeed, in particular from a Guy i loving refer to as capt hook (he had a withered hand!

Was that you you cunt! I was mauled by a horse as a bairn, you insensitive bastard.

I was not one of them and have always liked the Toon and wished you well! this may sound like i am just sucking you off to gain favour but this is not the case! but i understand you reactions to this. last season i ended up in Shearers bar before the first game of the season and the reception we got was very hostile indeed, in particular from a Guy i loving refer to as capt hook (he had a withered hand! i know its wrong but the grief i had from him was unreal!).

Hope we can get past this because no Fans should be tarred with the same brush as the minority! just as not all Toon fans go round punching horses eh?

My day isn't complete unless I twat one of those long faced four legged bastards, actually.

A lot of people believe Ashley hired Kinnear to become a figure the fans would turn on, distracting the attention away from Ashely!

Remy looks like a very good addition. At a minimum we need a right footed winger and another forward.

There were a couple of things. The Euros completely drained Cabaye. Europa League added a lot of games, which brought an unwanted distractions and extra injuries. Also, we only added Anita (a reserve player).

It's a world cup year and we have a lot of players fighting for their place, so we should come 8th - 6th. A couple of injuries and Cisse form could see us finish 18th.

seems pretty sensible. However letting Collins go seemed a bit short sighted.

It depends which team he joins and if he gets games. I cant see him being at Villa in 2015. Somewhere between Ian Wright and Alan Shearer.

Beige

7th - 10th

I'd love to see a Kinnear/N'zogbia signing photo - like the remy one :lol:

Top Chelsea, man-u, Man-c, Arsenal

Bottom Palace, Hull, Stoke

2-2

Livid. Ashley has employed a buffoon to act as a buffer between himself and Pardew/Carr, that's fine in principle, but when you take a moment to think of better candidates I'm sure you already have 3 in your head before I finish this answer. There's also the (reasonable) belief that Kinnear will take over from PArdew whenever AP's position is untenable.

Last season the management team admitted they'd made a mistake by not strengthening sufficiently in the summer, which they had to redress in January. They've not learnt from that error and a few injuries to key positions and we may well be facing another relegation fight. A good window would have seen us sign at least 1 Striker, a Right back and a Centre half all to challenge for a first team spot. An "all right" window would have seen a Striker and a back up Right Back. We got nothing. One of the key problems with Newcastle United is our back room staff. We need quality coaches to get the best out of players like Cabaye and Sissoko, instead we have a roster of ex-pros who've stumbled into coaching.

In short we benefited from a perfect storm 11/12. Liverpool & Chelsea both had poor league seasons, two of the promoted sides finished higher than expected, we managed to keep the same back 5 for loads of games and our strikers were on fire. It went wrong when we didn't strengthen at all in the summer. If we'd bought Sissoko, Debuchy, Gouffran, Haidara in the summer and then a striker at Christmas we'd not only have avoided the relegation worry, we'd have properly challeneged for the Europa League trophy.

This season? Well if we strengthen at Christmas we'll finish about 12th, if we don't 14th-17th. Too many poor sides in the league this season. Stoke, Palace, Hull, sunderland etc.

It's fine in principle; I think Lambert is a decent coach, but I've no idea about your scouting. Benteke is a find (clearly), but bear in mind we bought young and hungry and they're happy enough playing for you for a while, but when the truly massive clubs come calling, don't expect them to hang around for the project's completion.

He's big, powerful and quick, he's got a good touch, a good finish and he's good in the air. How good can he be? He could be great, but he won't achieve that level at Villa. No offence. He needs to be playing Champions League, alongside and against the best players in the world, instead of facing Curtis Davies on a rainy Wednesday at Hull.

As most have said, before that relegation game I didn't really mind you lot. Less bitter than the Everton fans, more knowledgeable about football in generaly than the Tottenham fans. I've a mate who's a Villa fan and he was apologetic on behalf of the fans who went OTT. I expected chants and a bit of banter, but making the effort to prepare a banner? That's just a bit weird if you ask me, a bit like the mackems doing the poznan at Man U when Man City won the league. I actually visited him recently and when we were talking about the up-coming game, obviously that game cropped up. Some of his mates were actually proud of being the ones that relegated us, saying that we deserved it. When pressed they couldn't come up with any reason for the enmity beyond the Sky Sports clichés; Deluded, shirtless, massive club, etc.

Between 8th and 14th. Depends if Benteke stays fit as I'd worry where the goals were coming from without him.

Weimann I reckon, but as I said above, I think our 1st team is better than yours.

Top four will be the usual with Spurs instead of Arsenal. Bottom three with be Palace and Hull and then 1 from sunderland, Stoke, Fulham, Cardiff and ourselves. Probably sunderland given Di Canio's imminent implosion.

You'll set up to hit us on the break, we'll set up for the draw. If HBA isolates Luna I'd expect him to cause the Spaniard problems. If Cisse finally remembers where he left his shooting boots, we could get a win. If not, I still fancy a draw.

Only time I've been to Villa park - Robson's last game (4-2 loss iirc). Been to most premiership grounds and without doubt and excepting the SoL, the Villa fans were the most vitriolic arseholes I've ever met, throwing bottles at us from the upper tier etc. Police were wankers as well. Walked back to the city centre which was depressing as fuck. Amazed Brum is our second city tbh, no character whatsoever.

Edited by Renton

Something which hasn't been mentioned too, I'm not saying this to be funny or to be a cunt, but for many many years I have to be honest and say Aston Villa have BY FAR the ugliest fans in The Barclays Premier League. Maybe Hull will challenge it, but honestly when I'm down there I feel like Brad fucking Pitt!