US election 2016

Happy Face

:lol:

I could totally understand him not wanting to overanalyse the fallout of this with us :D

On another note, Farage is fucking loving this... I hate Farage, but I'm struggling to think that he's wrong when he more or less asserts that all of this wouldn't have been possible without him. What an ego boost that must be...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/10/nigel-farage-jokes-about-trumps-alleged-sexual-assaults

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll be nice to have a media class that might challenge the dear leader again.

Absolutely. I really hope that we get an evolution on the left from this, it's sorely needed. Hopefully it'll have widespread media support as well, given that they're now faced with the alternative.

The market reaction has been surprising. Investors must be betting he's full of hot air and won't do half the shit he promised

Chez's view that he's actually going to do them a favour in a lot of senses is also possible. Doesn't quite scan with the trade deal element though, so maybe your angle is right on that front.

True - and while the Republicans hold Congress, they also want the trade deals... Would be a bold move though.

Trump has always claimed that he was too wealthy to be beholden to corporate interests, that doesn't go for congressmen who needs funds for election campaigns so are more likely to vote the way their paymasters instruct them to.

Trump has always claimed that he was too wealthy to be beholden to corporate interests, that doesn't go for congressmen who needs funds for election campaigns so are more likely to vote the way their paymasters instruct them to.

As we've been discussing the whole political framework is rigged and will certainly act as a barrier to anything too wild.

The prophecy radio stations in the mid-west were saying 4 years ago Trump would be president...Some geezer had a vision or summink.

I'm guessing they make so many wild claims that the odd one occaisionally comes true

I'm guessing they make so many wild claims that the odd one occaisionally comes true

Yeah. :lol:

I love listening to red neck phone ins and the last couple of weeks it was really amped up...."Chosen by god" etc.

Geezers hunting through scripture while letting you know they have a book out and a dvd on 'prepping'. :)

Edited by Park Life

Yeah, it's hard not to like that bit about Trump actually. Hard to see where the Republicans can go if they start blocking him on things though...? How will that look to their voter base?

Yeah, it's hard not to like that bit about Trump actually. Hard to see where the Republicans can go if they start blocking him on things though...? How will that look to their voter base?

Well it's one thing saying it and another thing doing it. He didn't self-fund his electoral campaign and in fact made money from it. I don't think he'll sign too many trade agreements or pass taxes that will harm himself or his business. So really it's hard not to see him as an absolute cunt.

Well it's one thing saying it and another thing doing it. He didn't self-fund his electoral campaign and in fact made money from it. I don't think he'll sign too many trade agreements or pass taxes that will harm himself or his business. So really it's hard not to see him as an absolute cunt.

Well yeah, no one is arguing that :lol:

It's all internalised misogyny, clearly. Or maybe they care about more than the gender identity of the candidate? Nah, couldn't be that...

That said, they could still all be racists [emoji38] also 94% of black women voted for Clinton, so it's not like he won with all sectors there.

In a way it's "right" that voters should put aside their individual bug bears with politicians and vote on broader issues.

I've said before I believe people should take a big picture view of what's best for the country though I realise people also vote on what's best for them as individuals.

On both of those bases if people thought Trump was a better choice despite being female, Hispanic, Muslim etc then it's understandable even if they had to feel awful doing it.

Edited by NJS

The market reaction has been surprising. Investors must be betting he's full of hot air and won't do half the shit he promised

It's a real wait and see as I don't think anyone has any idea what he really thinks like you say. 

Some of his 100 day plan is actually quite good, things like term limits for Congressmen and a 5 year ban on joining lobbying groups after they've served their time in the houses, he has also said he's going to call out China for currency manipulation and more aggressively pursue foreign trade infractions that put US people at a disadvantage. The calming of tensions with Russia is also a plus. It then starts to get a bit worrying mind, he then talks about how he plans to pull all US funding from the UN climate change funds, get rid of the blocks Obama put up against some of the Oil pipelines, basically anything to do with climate change he is taking the opposite stance on, he plans to attempt to overturn Roe v Wade, overturn Obamacare which puts about 23m out of medical care (I know Obamacare is a mess but it does have its pluses and he hasn't really come up with a proper alternative), and finally the wall is still actually coming up which I am shocked by as he calmed down about it, I'm not sure if he's just saying it knowing he has to and the House will reject it (people like McConnell have already said there's no way they'd vote for it) or if he genuinely thinks spunking billions on a wall would do anything other than offend Mexico. Oh his stuff about channeling money towards infrastructure is a good thing as well as the bridges and roads are a real mess over here, so as I say there are some positives as there are with anyone that gets this far but some of the stuff he's put in that 100 day plan is concerning.

Oh aye and the Supreme court could look a bit scary in a few month.

Edited by Howay

What are the big issues people are worried about with respect of the Supreme Court then? Is it mainly abortion legislation?

Gay marriage, contraception via Healthcare, religious exemptions from providing services, religion in public spaces and schools.

Anything that raises Republican BP basically.

Gay marriage, contraception via Healthcare, religious exemptions from providing services, religion in public spaces and schools.

Anything that raises Republican BP basically.

Surely he can't reverse legislation on gay marriage... they just put that through to much fanfare?