Politics

Christmas Tree

I don't know if you remember since I don't know how old you are but two NE Tory MPs (Fabricant and Merchant) did a thing a few years ago where they spent a couple of weeks on the dole. Even knowing it was a fixed period with a return to luxury guaranteed it completely shocked them and unless they were the best actors ever affected them deeply. I think all MPs of all parties should try it - the fuckers get enough holidays so time isn't an issue.

I'd love to see CT try it as well but that's by the by.

I remember Merchant doing it . Fair enough he was honest about it but fuck all really happened as a result .

The bloke ran up double the amount of posts than any other poster and has been back under 4-5 different accounts. It's not a question of if he comes back but when he comes back

If ever they make Toontastic: The Movie, this line will make the trailer. :lol: Spoken frantically.

:lol: I'm not Alex. And thanks. I am however curious as to what difference being Alex would have made?

That's a really good example, glad to hear it worked out; I do think that more small employers should be persuaded to think this way, it's win-win. The fact that he had a long standing and capable employee for 9 years as a result of a six week trial speaks volumes. It also starts you off on the right foot, as you work hard to make an impression. There's nothing wrong with hard work as long as you feel you're a) appreciated and b ) getting something meaningful out of it, be it pay or skills. Something that you just wouldn't get from Tesco.

I also agree with your later point though, perhaps there simply are too many people looking for work for this to be workable. I feel the government should find some way to efficiently manage this however, we're a nation predominantly made of small businesses, and something like this would perhaps mean they could out-compete bigger companies in some cases, if it could be made to work.

Also, it's definitely true that constant rejection makes it much harder to motivate yourself for work, and I'm not sure why the Tories expect that this would not be the case. A lot of the language they've been using is threatening and aggressive, and it's just counter effective. They fundamentally misunderstand what it's like. It always gets me that Osborne was employed for something like 6 weeks in Selfridges before he made his career as a politician. So he's only had a real job for about 6 weeks in his entire life. He also has no academic or professional background in economics, he has a history degree.

If you only knew the amount of economic history we do with these degrees :(.

I wasn't diminishing the degree itself - but surely an economics degree would be more appropriate for the man supposedly to understand the nuances of GDP manipulation and tax adjustments. To be honest, I think I'd want him to have a PhD in it...

Depends on the idiosyncrasies of his degree itself. If he just did World War 2 and stuff then aye it's ridiculous but if he spent a lot of time looking at economic crises and different reactions and effects etc it could be useful. Agree that an economics PHD would be ideal like.

Depends on the idiosyncrasies of his degree itself. If he just did World War 2 and stuff then aye it's ridiculous but if he spent a lot of time looking at economic crises and different reactions and effects etc it could be useful. Agree that an economics PHD would be ideal like.

You're not wrong about that to be honest, much of economic theory is based on past history. Maybe I've underestimated him.

I think we'd have a much better country if we returned to a period of National service for all 16 year olds.

A year or two would allow many life long skills to be taken on board before either returning to education or the workforce.

I think we'd have a much better country if we returned to a period of National service for all 16 year olds.

A year or two would allow many life long skills to be taken on board before either returning to education or the workforce.

Aye right Private Pile

Do you want us to bring back work houses too?

So our future best scientists et al would have a year or two behind the rest of the world? Hardly gonna help us become a world leading state with such outdated views.

Or they would have a better understanding of the world, relationships, discipline leading to even better results.

Do you want us to bring back work houses too?

They day will come when their modern day equivalent returns.

Ever dwindling money into government, combined with an ever increasing population must at some point have severe consequences.

Or they would have a better understanding of the world, relationships, discipline leading to even better results.

Perhaps as a compromise position, schools could take a harder, perhaps more militaristic disciplinary line while students are with them. I am not sure how this could be accomplished as such, perhaps summer camps or something. There is a lot of good that the military could give young people who lack discipline, but I don't think enforced military service is a good option, as has been pointed out earlier it's a bit of a waste for people who are going on to high flying academic careers - and if you make exceptions for certain groups it just breeds resentment.

Schools should probably also be changed to allow a wider range of subjects to be studied, certainly with more of them practical (like maths could tie in with engineering or something, so kids are building things with the maths they're learning). These courses should not be looked down on, and should be given similar standing to conventional academic subjects. That way, people will be given more opportunity to excel, and will have more pride about their capabilities. Possibly being a bit idealistic here though...

Perhaps as a compromise position, schools could take a harder, perhaps more militaristic disciplinary line while students are with them. I am not sure how this could be accomplished as such, perhaps summer camps or something. There is a lot of good that the military could give young people who lack discipline, but I don't think enforced military service is a good option, as has been pointed out earlier it's a bit of a waste for people who are going on to high flying academic careers - and if you make exceptions for certain groups it just breeds resentment.

Schools should probably also be changed to allow a wider range of subjects to be studied, certainly with more of them practical (like maths could tie in with engineering or something, so kids are building things with the maths they're learning). These courses should not be looked down on, and should be given similar standing to conventional academic subjects. That way, people will be given more opportunity to excel, and will have more pride about their capabilities. Possibly being a bit idealistic here though...

BattleRoyalePic2.jpg

National service need not be tied in to the military. A voluntary "citizens service' started last year with 30,000 signing up for the four week event.

95% of participants found it beneficial.

At 16 your next electrician and your next doctor could both benefit from a national service of this type.

Valuable life lessons could be gained leaving more compassionate understanding and aware citizens at the end of it.

Is there anything at schools these days about classes around things people should know for later on in life such as money management?

A big part of education for me was that I found a lot of it pretty useless when I got into the real world if you like. It needs to be more around developing children as human beings and not about the academia side of things.

They day will come when their modern day equivalent returns.

Ever dwindling money into government, combined with an ever increasing population must at some point have severe consequences.

:panic: :panic: :panic: