Politics

Christmas Tree

What a bizarre question. Do you imagine I was happier before taxi'ing?

I can only imagine it was personal upward mobility getting confused with national prosperity that gives someone the impression that the last Tory government or this coalition have had any sort of economic success story to tell.

You're often keen to say what a big job you had before. I just wondered if that informs your view of which party was best to you.

I can only imagine it was personal upward mobility getting confused with national prosperity that gives someone the impression that the last Tory government or this coalition have had any sort of economic success story to tell.

You're often keen to say what a big job you had before. I just wondered if that informs your view of which party was best to you.

CT the boy did well under Thatcher selling sofas , giving him a nice little property portfolio and rent income now. He does his taxi job for pin money, to feed his many ridiculous fads. He's oblivious to the hardship of others and really just can't help gloating no matter how insensitive. That's my take on it anyway.

All I talk about in here is politics. I never make it personal. Quite a few of you do. I think a few of you would be very at home with the bullingdon club set.

Sad.

Eh? I'm only surmising what I've gathered from your posts, which you've freely and often boastfully put on here. You've made similar personal remarks on me concerning my so-called cushy job.

You've just verified I'm right btw. May help other posters put your 'I'm alright Jack' politics in context. Honestly not meant to be personal though.

All I talk about in here is politics. I never make it personal. Quite a few of you do. I think a few of you would be very at home with the bullingdon club set.

Sad.

Your ability to grasp the nuances of the economic situation is second only to my ability to grasp liquid nitrogen.

Sad.

As you fail to make any sort of argument whatsoever as to why you have a staunch belief in current economic policy I assumed there must be other factors at play. It wasn't a dig at all, the vast majority vote based on their own interests, on past personal experience or historical allegiance.

My dad was always a Tory, he worked for British Gas, but he wasn't laid off following privatisation or owt, he lost his job helping the other lads get off for a pint early on a Friday afternoon and clicking their cards for them. So he never blamed Maggie, he hugely appreciated though that when he was out of a job he could buy his council house...and that he got government help starting his own video van business. That sort of leg up saw him ignore the economic catastrophe that followed and saw Labour swept into power and hold it for so long. Throughout the Labour governments he would slate them for selling off the family gold and throwing money at unsustainable projects. At the last election he was still telling me how much of a shame it was people up here still would vote Labour, no matter what.

He's pretty quiet now though, I think his affection was more for Maggie and the specific policies that helped him. He's totally disgusted by the lot of them now and I don't think he would give Cameron and Osbourne the 5 minutes it would take to tick a box.

I assumed you must have a similar story....I assumed you must actually have even stronger personal bonds to the conservatives to continue the folly of supporting what has been such a catastrophic and universally ridiculed approach.

Just one point from yesterday.

Osbourne repsonded to claims that the debt had gone up by saying it was fairer to measure it as a percentage of GDP which has gone down.

Fair enough but under Major/Lamont by the same measure the national debt was twice as much as it has ever been under Labour - just a thought for CT and his "prudent" Tories.

As you fail to make any sort of argument whatsoever as to why you have a staunch belief in current economic policy I assumed there must be other factors at play. It wasn't a dig at all, the vast majority vote based on their own interests, on past personal experience or historical allegiance.

My dad was always a Tory, he worked for British Gas, but he wasn't laid off following privatisation or owt, he lost his job helping the other lads get off for a pint early on a Friday afternoon and clicking their cards for them. So he never blamed Maggie, he hugely appreciated though that when he was out of a job he could buy his council house...and that he got government help starting his own video van business. That sort of leg up saw him ignore the economic catastrophe that followed and saw Labour swept into power and hold it for so long. Throughout the Labour governments he would slate them for selling off the family gold and throwing money at unsustainable projects. At the last election he was still telling me how much of a shame it was people up here still would vote Labour, no matter what.

He's pretty quiet now though, I think his affection was more for Maggie and the specific policies that helped him. He's totally disgusted by the lot of them now and I don't think he would give Cameron and Osbourne the 5 minutes it would take to tick a box.

I assumed you must have a similar story....I assumed you must actually have even stronger personal bonds to the conservatives to continue the folly of supporting what has been such a catastrophic and universally ridiculed approach.

The whole thing with the economic policy is this. Its easy to point out what is not working but less easy to prove what would make it work.

Having "run a family" through many recessions I know from personal experience that when times are good most people spend more than they should and when things are tight you need to cut back. Lets take that as a given for most families.

So we then move to 2010 and a country which is totally in the shit. Less money coming in and more money going out. A normal response (As championed by every UK political party in 2010) was to make cuts. These cuts lets remember were cuts in future budget increases, NOT current spending.

So the Eurozone crap kicked in, the world slump continues and growth is stagnant. Most recognise these external factors and the choices are these.

1. Recognise the external factors that you can do nothing about, keep control of spending, keep government small and eventually come out the other side in a healthy position to take advantage when things pick up.

2. Gamble on borrowing gazillions of money to try and buy your way out the trouble you are in.

The problem for me is having lived through many recessions I fully understand 1. Point 2 remind me of the one recession where I got a visa card (or two) and tried to "keep the party going". It worked for a while but the pain quickly followed.

I appreciate some economists say this will work but as we are coming out of a crash of biblical proportions into an ever changing world of new low wage markets all around us I think it is understandable to consider that economists are not always right.

My view (as Ive stated many times) is of a bleaker period of time for this country and I simply dont see where sustainable good times are going to come from.

At the end of the day, if Milliband had a plan, presented it and the IMF, CBI, most commentators said fuck me thats it, thats the answer.....Bravo!

Then I too would welcome it with open arms. But the truth is they dont. They want to take out a credit card and HOPE its all better when its time to pay it off. And when its not, Im sure they 'll go for one of these loans where you can consolidate all your maxed out cards and when thats fucked theres always Wonga.

Classic non answer by you :lol:

:lol:

I was just trying to let you think about it.

Cameron takes over 2010, borrows shit loads, even more than we currently are. Gives big benefit rises, reduces taxes bla bla bla..... everyones happy. (until reality sinks in).

Cameron takes over, cuts spending, tries to make government more efficient, reforms benefits etc etc BOOOO nasty tories.

It's the cutting benefits, uppi

:lol:

I was just trying to let you think about it.

Cameron takes over 2010, borrows shit loads, even more than we currently are. Gives big benefit rises, reduces taxes bla bla bla..... everyones happy. (until reality sinks in).

Cameron takes over, cuts spending, tries to make government more efficient, reforms benefits etc etc BOOOO nasty tories.

Its the cutting benefits, raising taxes and still seeing the national debt going up that's the problem though

I understand your logic, CT, but the economy is very different from a family or household.

Take the line, "eventually come out the other side in a healthy position to take advantage when things pick up." for instance.

How does this healthy position come about? In order to get an economy growing again, you need to have businesses investing, people in employment, spending money. If countries around the eurozone just sit tight and wait, they'll all look at each other in 5 years time and realise that someone needs to make the first move.

In a household situation, there will generally always be someone who is better off than you and someone who is worse off, so sitting tight is a natural and rational reaction. At macro level though, cutting back is suicidal as it only serves to promote a downward spiral of negative growth.

It's not an easy concept to grasp, but you need to clearly differentiate between a household and a national economy.

CBI: The voice of business in the UK

" The Government must stick to its guns on its fiscal strategy. Changing course would risk damaging market credibility and could lead to higher public borrowing and interest rates".

"You scratch our back, we'll scratch yours"

CBI: The voice of business in the UK

" The Government must stick to its guns on its fiscal strategy. Changing course would risk damaging market credibility and could lead to higher public borrowing and interest rates".

Again, what's the benefit of low interest rates when your intention is to not borrow?