The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Buttler coming in at 8 would be class. Like boom boom afredi used to for Pakistan.

Clearly things aren't going to be shaken up to the extent I suggested in between series, Alex. I also think Vince will get more of a chance to prove himself. But like I said, I'm playing fantasy selector.

I do think there's a case for root, our best batsman, and Bairstow, our form player, moving up the order. And for Buttler coming back into the mix.

Get Bradman dug up and put him in at 3. I'd love to see Sobers coming in at 6 or 7 :razz:

Get Bradman dug up and put him in at 3. I'd love to see Sobers coming in at 6 or 7 :razz:

Now you're getting silly, Bradman was Australian

Edited by Dr Gloom

Got a new bird. Jen Nings I think she's called.

Cameron is a member of the MCC as well. Didn't even know the England captain's name, the stupid fucking cunt

Total sense in my post, Alex. You're partially right in that it wouldn't happen overnight but my selection is the future. Root and Bairstow will both move up the order, mark my words. And Buttler will be back in the test mix soon.

Superb analysis of how Bairstow has changed his stance on Sky. They compared his trigger movements in 2012, where he was crouched down with an underhand grip to today's where is all upright with a high backlift. It's like watching two different players. Nasser saying he's never seen a player change his technique so much

I wouldn't want Bairstow at four. It's working where he is at the moment, aye maybe move him to six or something but having that countering style further down the order with him and Stokes when the sting has been taken out of the ball is working brilliantly for us at the moment.

279-6 at close. Probably just slightly under par having won the toss and batted, looking at the pitch and conditions.

In those conditions against a fairly average attack, I think we're a fair way below par to be honest. Think we'll win but Cook and Bairstow aside, it was a pretty poor day.

the top order has been an issue for a while. it's all very well at home against the likes of sri lanka because our bowling attack will still rescue us and win us games, but we will struggle against the best test nations as long as we keep ending up having to rely on the lower middle order to save us after we're four or five wickets down for under a hundred runs, which has been in the case way too often the past two or three years.

the struggle to find an opening partner for cook has rumbled on ever since strauss retired and we've yet to see anyone make convincing case at number three.

I wouldn't want Bairstow at four. It's working where he is at the moment, aye maybe move him to six or something but having that countering style further down the order with him and Stokes when the sting has been taken out of the ball is working brilliantly for us at the moment.

Absolutely

There's no point moving someone up the order who's game seems to be based around his ability to just go for it. That's what mid to lower mid order is for. You could maybe up him to 5 but any higher and you're going to stifle him imo.

I think England just need to sort out 2 and 3. Easier said than done. I think Hales has shown like he could make it and is worth persevering with. I think Bell Drummond who you mentioned before is a good shout too. Maybe they think it's a bit too early for him but I definitely think they'll view him as a future test player. He's got a great record for his age, especially for an opener. I also buy into the theory that if you're good enough, you're old enough but I think it would be a bit unfair to blood such a young player as a test opener. I would maybe like to see him at 3 or 4 at the start of his career.