The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We don't like cricket, oh no, it's wa a ank.

I've never liked cricket always found it boring as fuck, I've actually been to an England Test Match and was that bored I fucked off to the bar to watch Scotland. I just find it dull, but some people are brought up with it and love it, I respect that. Smoggeordie is a massive fan, and that's fine, you like what you like, but these bandwagon jumpers who pretend to love it when we win the ashes oh dear, especially when half the cunts don't even know the rules. People who like because their friends/partners do are even worse. It's too slow man, and I know there is some skill somewhere in there, it's just pish. People have the same thoughts about darts but I fuckin love darts, could watch it all night, so I know it's about preference.

What's your thoughts?

I'm in the category of those who was brought up on it, so I absolutely love it. I'd much rather watch an England cricket match than an England football match any day. That's not just because we're now starting to dominate the test arena either.

It's great to see a bunch of players who actually still take pride in playing for their country. (Even though half of them weren't born here :icon_lol:)

It's a great sport IMO.

Disagree about it being too slow as well, although I can see why people who don't like it use that as a yardstick against the game.

Absolutely love being sat in front of the box all day watching a test match. Find it fascinating.

Anybody else going to the India match at the Riverside next week?

Okay, Stevie, you hooked me :icon_lol:

For me, it's the greatest game ever invented. It's really far too complex a game to give an easy explanation of why it's so good. One quick question though, is can you tell me any other sports where, when the bowler lets go the ball, there are 11 v 1 ? Hey, you might be able to tell me of one, and fair do's if you can, but I can't think of one.

Cricket is a game to be able to leave the maddening world behind. Step off the hurdy-gurdy (sp) of this manic, stress-related existance we have these days and chill out to it. Leather on willow. Magic.

I really wish I could convince you, and others, as to how good it is, but I doubt anyone could. I've been watching it since the late 60's and seen some shocking play by England over the years, but would never go off it as cricket (the game) is almost (there have been some nasty goings-on from time to time) the winner every time, regardless of which team wins.

Love it. Even when it's raining and play has stopped, I love listening to the cricket talk on TMS.

I don't like cricket,

Oh no,

I love it,

Yeah :icon_lol:

For me, it's the greatest game ever invented. It's really far too complex a game to give an easy explanation of why it's so good. One quick question though, is can you tell me any other sports where, when the bowler lets go the ball, there are 11 v 1 ? Hey, you might be able to tell me of one, and fair do's if you can, but I can't think of one.

Cricket is a game to be able to leave the maddening world behind. Step off the hurdy-gurdy (sp) of this manic, stress-related existance we have these days and chill out to it. Leather on willow. Magic.

I really wish I could convince you, and others, as to how good it is, but I doubt anyone could. I've been watching it since the late 60's and seen some shocking play by England over the years, but would never go off it as cricket (the game) is almost (there have been some nasty goings-on from time to time) the winner every time, regardless of which team wins.

Love it. Even when it's raining and play has stopped, I love listening to the cricket talk on TMS.

I don't like cricket,

Oh no,

I love it,

:razz:

I like cricket and darts.

I like golf and snooker

I do too. Well, I like the Majors, lesser tournaments (as with Tennis) and you can tell half the time the players just aren't arsed. I would apply a similar logic to snooker, i.e. I'd watch the world / UK championships.

I like cricket and darts.

I like golf and snooker

I do too. Well, I like the Majors, lesser tournaments (as with Tennis) and you can tell half the time the players just aren't arsed. I would apply a similar logic to snooker, i.e. I'd watch the world / UK championships.

Aye.

I should have caveated the word 'like' with the fact I've never paid to watch either live. By 'like' I mean if there's nowt else on, I'll watch it if there's nowt better to do....much like the darts.

Cricket, Rugby, Tennis, the olympics...I'd just flicjk straight past them.

Personally think there's far too much cricket played at international level these days. Hence why there's been such a decline in the art of fast bowling over the past decade.

I don't like cricket,

Oh no,

I love it,

I respect your passionate defence of it, but it's the same movement in the same place all of the time. Like sex in one position for 20 years. Nothing changes and you can't get that excited about it nee more. I'll never be able to see it's beauty in the same way, you Jonny and Nick can. Plus they've nicked we are the loyalest cricket supporters the world has ever had off us.

1 v 11 sports mmm there's a 1 v 100 in Kazakhstan called chase the jew.

You're owld though, snakey. :icon_lol:

You're right, Besty, and I really struggle to 'enjoy' the football-type chanting that goes on these days, though I fully recognise the new generation thing and that's how the game is going to go. I can't stop it. For example, shouting 'You're getting sacked in the morning' to the Australian cricket captain (even if it was Clarke, standing in for Ponting) was just too much for me. But that's because I'm old.

Cricket was the national sport. Since the 60's, cricket following has declined due to it being perceived as slow and boring, whilst thrill-a-second, mega-stress, must-have, quick-fix, throw-away society has mushroomed. Coincidence? I think not.

I don't like cricket,

Oh no,

I love it,

Yeah :razz:

Think you just about nailed it there. TMS is great. Stevie probably wouldn't like Henry Blofeld because of the Dinner/Lunch confusion :icon_lol: but he's a legend to me. Same goes for Brian Johnson (RIP). I'm old enough to just about remember John Arlott too and have heard him down the years since he retired in replays etc. Pure class man. Think you either 'get it' or you don't.

You're owld though, snakey. :icon_lol:

You're right, Besty, and I really struggle to 'enjoy' the football-type chanting that goes on these days, though I fully recognise the new generation thing and that's how the game is going to go. I can't stop it. For example, shouting 'You're getting sacked in the morning' to the Australian cricket captain (even if it was Clarke, standing in for Ponting) was just too much for me. But that's because I'm old.

Cricket was the national sport. Since the 60's, cricket following has declined due to it being perceived as slow and boring, whilst thrill-a-second, mega-stress, must-have, quick-fix, throw-away society has mushroomed. Coincidence? I think not.

Football has been the national sport for at least 140 years Snakey, you only have to go off crowds. If it was the national sport how come we have never been a first class cricket county, a county pre 1974 of 1.5m people.

I don't like cricket,

Oh no,

I love it,

I respect your passionate defence of it, but it's the same movement in the same place all of the time. Like sex in one position for 20 years. Nothing changes and you can't get that excited about it nee more. I'll never be able to see it's beauty in the same way, you Jonny and Nick can. Plus they've nicked we are the loyalest cricket supporters the world has ever had off us.

Stevie, for what I know, you have a stressful job at times and have targets to meet. I am confident that if you were to sit next to Johnny at a cricket match, have a few beers with him, having the game explained to you bit by bit (not all, because it's impossible to learn all the minutiae in one game) you would see it in a different light. Cricket is a game where you can step off the world, and totally relax.

I don't like cricket,

Oh no,

I love it,

Stevie, for what I know, you have a stressful job at times and have targets to meet. I am confident that if you were to sit next to Johnny at a cricket match, have a few beers with him, having the game explained to you bit by bit (not all, because it's impossible to learn all the minutiae in one game) you would see it in a different light. Cricket is a game where you can step off the world, and totally relax.

Some of my mates love cricket as much as football, I've had in rammed down me for years. 5 of us went to ENGLAND v Zimbabwe in 2003? at CLS first test there ever I think, it was 85 degrees, the cricket was wank, but we got so pissed and it was a great day, but it didn't enhance my view of cricket. I understand all of the rules, it's nee better than that rounders shite that the yanks play, that's not a fact, but it's my opinion.

Snakey - that reminds me, when a couple of us went to the England vs West Indies test match at the Riverside. One of my mates, had never really followed cricket. Came out with "Oh, I never realised that they bowled from both ends." :icon_lol: