The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know Angus Fraser is still a selector as he often gets a mention on TMS due to it

I don't really have an opinion on Fraser as a selector but I don't really see why a director or Middlesex should be involved with such matters.

weather forecast looks good for 5 days play in manchester.

vaughan says the selectors would be wrong to make moeen a scapegoat. i'm not sure i agree. he hasn't really performed with the ball consistently for a while. i don't mind him in the side as a lower order batter and occasional spinner but might be time to give rashid a chance as the frontline option - of to even try them both, as old trafford as been known to offer assistance to spinners.

Anderson and Stokes in with Rashid left out. I think what may have saved Mooen is those two changes, i.e. them not wanting to make a third, shake the side up too much.

that was beautiful bowling by amir. he had hales in all sorts of trouble before castling him with an inswinging full delivery

Edited by Dr Gloom

that was beautiful bowling by amir. he had hales in all sorts of trouble before castling him with an inswinging full delivery

Was a poor shot though.

yes, no footwork to speak of and he left the gate wide open. but he was set up by amir a treat. quality quick swing bowling. conditions looks set to favour anderson

Edited by Dr Gloom

quite a few on TMS have your say saying hales should go. he's under pressure but who else is there? i think he's done well enough in fits and starts to justify giving him more of a chance to see if he can make it at this level. the number of different opening partners cook has had since strauss retired is getting silly. you've got to back one of them eventually

Has he done well against good bowling though? It's all well and good doing well against an average Sri Lankan attack but if he's going to keep struggling when we play against top class bowlers we have a problem. Not sure who we have out there to replace him mind. But I still think we have a few issues with our batting line up.

Quite like the idea of Hales at 3. Which wouldn't help the problem of the opening partner for Cook. Of those I mentioned ahead of Root (to play at 3) I think 3 have opened although Sam Northeast bats at 4 for Kent. Think it's hard for anyone, even a specialst opener to begin their international career there. Even Gavaskar started off down the order. Cook being a notable exception. It's even harder in England with the swinging / seaming ball.

Shame he was out just before Tea but great to see him get 100. He was due one. I wanted to say that earlier but thought I'd put the kibosh on it.

he got a good one to fall to amir there just before tea, another late-swinging delivery that kept low. good knock from the skipper and a great platform from our two best batters at the top of the order. hopefully that doesn't spark another collapse from the ropey middle order!

great spell from amir here. root looking vulnerable in the 90s

He's bound to be a bit nervous. Like Cook his conversion rate has been poor of late.

vince out driving again

he's ramps mark 2. lovely looking player, apparently incapable of accumulating test runs.

Edited by Dr Gloom