Japanese Whisky voted worlds best.

Park Life

Scottish drinkers could be forgiven for crying into their drams after a single malt from Japan was named the best whisky in the world for the first time.

Whisky expert Jim Murray awarded a record-equalling 97.5 marks out of 100 to Suntory’s Yamazaki Single Malt Sherry Cask 2013, hailing it as “near indescribable genius” in his comments in the forthcoming 2015 World Whisky Bible.

Murray’s tasting notes described the whisky, from the company’s distillery near Kyoto in western Japan, as possessing “a nose of exquisite boldness” and as “thick, dry, [and] as rounded as a snooker ball”.

It is the first time since the guide was first published 12 years ago that the top award has gone to a whisky from Japan. The country’s whiskies were once the butt of jokes but have won a slew of awards and widespread critical acclaim in recent years.

To compound the pain felt in the spiritual home of the “water of life”, this is the first time that not a single Scottish whisky made it into the top five in Murray’s respected guide."

Never tried a Japanese whisky as they aren't easy to find other than the internet. Tend to go with various versions of Glenmorangie and Talisker.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/04/suntory-time-japanese-whisky-named-worlds-best-in-sour-dram-for-scotland

Edited by Park Life

It's $160 a bottle, whisky snobbery is as bad as wine snobbery.

I'd just put diet coke/pepsi in it anyway.

BTW - They use imported Scottish Water and malt, so it's not a true Japanese Whisky, bit like saying a Nissan is a British car.

If it was a decision based on snobbery a Scottish Malt would've been picked instead. Stick that in your ten gallon hat.

I'd just put diet coke/pepsi in it anyway.

BTW - They use imported Scottish Water and malt, so it's not a true Japanese Whisky, bit like saying a Nissan is a British car.

Where did you read that? The distillery's location was chosen due to the natural spring water nearby. Seems strange that it imports its water.

Where did you read that? The distillery's location was chosen due to the natural spring water nearby. Seems strange that it imports its water.

I think that's true of all distilleries (i.e. chosen for their location near a good water source) because they use shitloads of the stuff.

No way Japanese whisky is good, absolute shit! they add so much chemicals to it, to give colour and taste.

My lass absolutely adores their food shop at the top of the main street in Newcastle, Northumberland Street. Fucking vile stuff. Fair enough there's little fat in it, but the taste is utterly awful and gives me the shits. I'm sure their whisky is no better. The life expectancy of the Japanese is above everyone else in the world and is 4 years above ours in the UK. I'd rather die earlier than eat their pish personally.

Glenmorangie and Glenfiddich are the two best drinks in the world, however I'm sure stating you love drinking Japanese whisky does wonders for how interesting you sound. Never tasted anything that comes anywhere near both of the Glen's myself. I'm a single malt boy.

Edited by McFaul

My lass absolutely adores their food shop at the top of the main street in Newcastle, Northumberland Street. Fucking vile stuff. Fair enough there's little fat in it, but the taste is utterly awful and gives me the shits. I'm sure their whisky is no better. The life expectancy of the Japanese is above everyone else in the world and is 4 years above ours in the UK. I'd rather die earlier than eat their pish personally.

Glenmorangie and Glenfiddich are the two best drinks in the world, however I'm sure stating you love drinking Japanese whisky does wonders for how interesting you sound. Never tasted anything that comes anywhere near both of the Glen's myself. I'm a single malt boy.

I wasn't aware that the Japanese only do blended whiskies like.

Some blends are nicer than some single malts.

If it was a decision based on snobbery a Scottish Malt would've been picked instead. Stick that in your ten gallon hat.

I may get snobby and buy a bottle and see how good it is with Pepsi max, if it doesn't pass that test it's not the best in my book.

It's ridiculous to think you're 'not snobby' because you'd only drink a fine whisky with Pepsi max. Pairing a fine whisky with an industrial soda is exactly the same as having a pot noodle to accompany a top cut of steak or roast of beef. We all love the best cuts of steak, or at least we all like food which is better prepared with better and probably more expensive ingredients. No different for drinks unless you see Alcohol as simply a means to an end....

As Alex once said, If you're going to spend your life swilling bevvy you may as well get the good stuff and enjoy it as much as you can.