Japanese Whisky voted worlds best.

Park Life

At the dinner party on Sat all the wines were wrong. Thankfully smoking grass on the balcony rid me of the desire to comment on it.

middleclassproblems.com ;)

Good single malt > good blend

I would tend to agree but it's not really comparing like for like. The point was that you shouldn't write blends off/assume single malts are better. Something like Johnny Walker Black is a much more interesting drink than Cardhu, for example.

It's ridiculous to think you're 'not snobby' because you'd only drink a fine whisky with Pepsi max. Pairing a fine whisky with an industrial soda is exactly the same as having a pot noodle to accompany a top cut of steak or roast of beef. We all love the best cuts of steak, or at least we all like food which is better prepared with better and probably more expensive ingredients. No different for drinks unless you see Alcohol as simply a means to an end....

As Alex once said, If you're going to spend your life swilling bevvy you may as well get the good stuff and enjoy it as much as you can.

How snobby is that post :)

Because I have the temerity to drink whisky with "industrial soda" I am some sort of pot noodle munching, drunken, Neanderthal :)

I love Whisky (and whiskey for that matter) but sadly I cant drink it straight, or on the rocks, or with a splash of water (or even drowned for that matter) because if I do, within seconds I feel like my digestive tract is being dynorod-ed with barbed wire (and I've been like that for as long as I can remember). So in order to be able to drink it I have worked through many and various mixers and the one that hits the spot and allows me to enjoy whisky burn-free is the aforementioned industrial soda or similar. Strangely I can get away with, and quite like, ginger ale with Irish Whisky but cant get away with it with Scotch, bizarre eh!!!

Most spirits hit me the same tbh except Tequila strangely, that said when I would ever shoot tequila (prefer it in a cocktail if truth be told) Im likely well anaesthetised already and its past time for my pot noodle and chateaubriand with brown sauce.

P.S. Sadly the Yamazaki Sherry Cask appears to be the best whisky in the world that you cant buy as it sold out months ago, so I wont be able to try it, bummer. On the bright side I can get two bottles of Bruichladdich (my fave) for less money.

I agree with Alex and I do like the good stuff and I literally enjoy it as much (and the only way) I can.

Edited by Toonpack

Chateaubriand.

Get you.

Fabulous, love it well done to the point it's almost crispy/burnt on the outside, fully brown inside, and served with curry pot noodle and a lashings of Hammonds Chop Sauce. If I'm roughing it, I'll just sub out the pot noodle for baked beans.

Somebody bought me a Bells whisky many years ago for my 21st it was vile then between 1988-91 the guns 'n' roses years I discovered "Jack Daniels " wasn't whisky had more than an occasional Saturday afternoon in the Percy drinking cans of Red Stripe with a double Jack 'n' cola chaser getting over the road to the Hay market for the bus home was always challenging.

Somebody bought me a Bells whisky many years ago for my 21st it was vile then between 1988-91 the guns 'n' roses years I discovered "Jack Daniels " wasn't whisky had more than an occasional Saturday afternoon in the Percy drinking cans of Red Stripe with a double Jack 'n' cola chaser getting over the road to the Hay market for the bus home was always challenging.

Sainsbury's recently had Jack reduced to £20 for a litre, I have a current stock of 4 bottles, courtesy of nectar points. :)

Whisky smells like paint thinner and looks like a piss after you've been punched a few times in the kidneys. I can't comment as to the taste but that's the impartial observer's take on it. ;)

The one that Toonpack drinks does anyway....

£20 a litre is approx what JD should cost. I think it's a horrendously overpriced and decidedly ordinary product. People taken in by its image are snobs. If you're going to add coke/similar to it, all the more so.

The one that Toonpack drinks does anyway....

You dissing Bruichladdich ??

£20 a litre is approx what JD should cost. I think it's a horrendously overpriced and decidedly ordinary product. People taken in by its image are snobs. If you're going to add coke/similar to it, all the more so.

Few spirits should be more than £20 a bottle IMO, let's face it they are produced just about as industrially as the soda I dump in them.

I actually prefer Jim Beam to Jack as a sort of "everyday" (but not through the week) bourbon drink but Jack's fine and at £20/litre not to be missed. Have Woodford Reserve or Eagle Rare for snobbier moments. Rebel Yell is another nice, yet reasonably priced, one.

Having had to add coke or similar to spirits for decades, my taste-buds largely block out the coke flavour and I still taste the wide variety of flavours in whatever I put into it. Someone who can drink it "properly" wouldn't stand a chance with diet coke in it (full leaded coke/pepsi absolutely does overpower everything and is WAY too sweet) and I do regret not being able to drink it as intended, and believe me I have tried many times, and no doubt will again (and crucify myself in the process).