Mike's Men vs 'Unoiiiited'

ClubSpinDoctor

Jack Colback is perhaps average, but goals and assists isnt the correct stats to measure the quality of a deep lying midfielder.

His passing is the best in the team, and his defensive stats isnt the worst, although Abeid has almost twice as many tackles and interceptions pr game. Statwise our best midfield atm is a pairing of Abeid and Colback.

Edited by TheGoslingBeast

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He isn't a deep lying midfielder.

And how are you measuring his passing? Retention is all well and good, but Colback is not capable of driving a team forward with creative and incisive passing. And there's no room for that kind of player in our midfield when we play a deeper player alongside. Just don't rate him, at all. Would rather Danny Guthrie was still around.

A central midfielder. He has a range of responsibilities that include both defence and attack. I find him extremely limited in the latter and pretty average for the former, therefore not up to it.

Basically, we can't have two players in a double pivot who contribute little to our attacking play. Especially when Gouffran shuts down a wing, but that's a different matter.

He isn't a deep lying midfielder.

And how are you measuring his passing? Retention is all well and good, but Colback is not capable of driving a team forward with creative and incisive passing. And there's no room for that kind of player in our midfield when we play a deeper player alongside. Just don't rate him, at all. Would rather Danny Guthrie was still around.

I said this about Anita as well. The Fish gave me his 'water carrier' lecture, where he starts trying to talk in-depth about tactics to appear knowledgeable.

It's at the stage where I just don't want to know what the stupid cunt comes out with next, how the fucking Goons in the media who pipe up for him every time we win a couple in a row don't have the balls to look more closely at him the rest of the time is beyond me. He's as bad a manager as he was a player, utterly mediocre with a mediocre outlook on a game where positivity and confidence can help so much. This bloke is reeking the place out and wouldn't have a job anywhere else with his record. Nowhere. There's no comparison between sticking with a good manager who's having a bad run and carrying on regardless of with this chancer who just flaps his gums with any shit he can think of after a multitude of defeats, most of which are hammerings. The Knackers last derby sums the fucker up, chasing the game at 0-0, panic subs, wrong subs, wrong tactics, players who are clueless, players going backwards, panic stations, don't panic Mr Mainwaring!!!........Bang 1-0 them after they'd already missed at least two sitters. The defending yesterday was amazing, this happens all the time when he makes us 'hard to beat'. :lol: Brings Cisse and Cabella on when 3-0 down, utter, utter clown. 3-0! Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!!!! I'll put Cisse on! Fucking Clown. Never heard his patter afterwards or beforehand which is the only positive I can take out of yesterday or the derby. Absolute fucking Clown of a manager, mediocrity gone mad. Smarmy, charmless and as unsuited to what this club used to be about before the suffocating presence of the Hertfordshire Heffa bought our club. The sooner this club gets fumigated the better.

:lol: Aye the blokes completely fucking lost it (if he ever had it). We started a 17 year old lad over Cabella and Cisse ffs and only choose to bring them on when the game is finished. The goals were all pathetic, non-marking of key men all over the place and it all just looked far far too easy. This is from a team managed by a bloke that prides himself on his defence as well! I'm sick to the back teeth of us being fucking humiliated constantly, the amount of howkings we've suffered under this tosser is criminal, the late pen flattered our side and made it only a 2 goal difference but this was never a game tbh. We've suffered this bloke what? 4 year now? we've seen all he can do tbh, this is it, we'll go on decent runs every now and again then long torturous droughts which means we finish in and around the middle.

What is wrong with Cisse in all? is it still this fucking heavy cold? he's our top scorer ffs and we're playing a 17 year old short arse over him. I know his over all game isn't great but he's all we fucking have and if you listen to Pardew Mike deserves a massive round of applause for it.

I said this about Anita as well. The Fish gave me his 'water carrier' lecture, where he starts trying to talk in-depth about tactics to appear knowledgeable.

I think there is room for one such player in a starting 11, Tiote is by far the best option we have for the role. The problem is making sure that Tiote, or whoever else is in that role, is complimented with a midfield partner who can influence the game in an attacking sense. Colback does not do that.

Also, I've just seen Gouffran's goals and assists for the 33 games he's played this calendar year, zero goals and 2 assists. Pathetic selection/deployment.

Edited by beatty

I think there is room for one such player in a starting 11, Tiote is by far the best option we have for the role. The problem is making sure that Tiote, or whoever else is in that role, is complimented with a midfield partner who can influence the game in an attacking sense. Colback does not do that.

Agreed completely. Every midfield needs a water carrier. The problem is that our entire midfield has been nothing but water carriers since Cabaye went. Sissoko has been trying to fill the role (when he's not wasted out on the wing) but he is a different type of player to Cabaye entirely. All graft and no craft in the midfield means our strikers are not getting service and are forced to fashion opportunities out of nothing, which Cisse and Perez can do, but they can't be expected to do so every game and repeatedly. Tiote, Colback, Anita, and Abeid are all serviceable players (Tiote perhaps better than serviceable but not on current form) but they all perform the same role.

I don't think de Jong is the answer either, not that anybody really knows what type of player he is or where Pardew is going to play him. Ryan Taylor is a limited footballer but he at least offers some form of creativity. Cabella is not a central midfielder.

Basically I don't think we have anyone at the club currently who can fill the midfield role we need and haven't had for nearly a year now. So our strikers, such as they are, continue to feed off scraps/wait for Sissoko to do something good/wait for our opponents to screw up. Not exactly a recipe for success but it's the same one we've been following all of 2014, with predictable results.

I'd like to see what De Jong played pushed forward in a midfield 3 with Sissoko and Tiote looks like. We could easily play that midfield against about 80% of the league.

I don't think Sissoko can work in a 3 unless he is given the most freedom and is played furthest up the pitch. I reckon Pardew is of the same opinion. So I doubt hell play centrally if de Jong comes in at 10.Would like to be proven wrong.

It's a more disciplined role but I'd still give Sissoko licence to get forward. I'd play Cabella as well. Instead of Gouffran. At home at the very least. The defence is dodgy so we're always liable to drop points unexpectedly (if that's not a contradiction in terms) but, for me that's all the more reason to be a bit more positive. I think in any bad runs though 'Pards' is likely to go into survival mode and play 'honest grafters'. And in a way it's almost hard to blame him because mid table safety is all the owner is after. It breeds a play it safe culture which a yes man like him is more than happy with it would seem.

He tries to play it safe but ends up looking daft nearly every single time.

That's why he hates the crowd - for distracting the players and encouraging them to get forward.