survival sunday™ - Newcastle crowned North East Top Dogs™ for the 4th year in a row!

Taking Chelsea out of the equation of course,you would think supporters of every club would have liked to have finished higher.I spoke to 4 makems yesterday and not one of them was bothered about not finshing above us. Of course they all watched their match on tv whilst taking no interest in what was happening at Hull and SJP.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd sign both Danny Ings and Charlie Austin, both natural goal scorers and will get you a minimum of 10 league goals a season with decent service.

Thats a real problem for us.

Clear as day so often against West Ham for instance that the final ball (from all but Janmaat) is awful 9 times out of 10.

Bring back the days of Solano and Robert!

Please!

Seriously though wingers don't really cross anymore, I'm struggling to think of any PL wide players who I'd say has consistently good cross delivery

The standard of corners is pathetic too!

You are aware of my views on Janmaat.

5th in the all-time Premier League assists for us. (Saying that Shola is 3rd).

I don't recall many if any goals coming from his corners which were shin high on a good day by the time they reached the 6 yard box. He should have created goals from corners because he took them from both sides.Giving an assist to a corner taker is rediculous by the way.Similar to giving an assist to Beckham for humping a ball into the box from 40 yards which results in the ball eventually ending in the back of the net.I witnessed one Beckham `assist' where he humped a 40 yard free kick into the box,which was headed down then converted by another player.

Do you have any more infornation .

Yes, we won 4-0, Robert scored 2 wonder goals, Shearer got two simple goals from Robert corners, Shearer got the stadium Man of the Match, Dean Richards had an argument with Kasey Keller after one of Robert's corners bounced in the 6yd box; a cardinal sin you'll agree.

Please tell me more.Who were the opposition that day ? How simple were the goals Shearer scored that day ? A corner could go to the back of the 6 yard box,and bounce,so in that situation no i don't think it would be a cardinal sin.You must agree ?

Spurs

poorly marked in the box from a corner for Shearer's first

2nd corner bounced centrally and Shearer nodded it in.

Edited by The Fish

Newcastle: Given, Hughes, Bramble, Woodgate (O'Brien 45), Bernard, Dyer, Jenas, Speed (Solano 80), Robert (Ambrose 79), Ameobi, Shearer.
Subs not used: Harper, LuaLua.

Booked: Jenas, Ambrose.

Tottenham: Keller, Carr, Richards, Gardner, Taricco, Anderton, King, Poyet (Mabizela 54), Konchesky (Dalmat 80), Kanoute (Postiga 62), Keane.
Subs not used: Burch, Doherty.

Booked: Gardner, Carr.

Attendance: 52,139.

Referee: A Wiley (Staffordshire).

That result took us to 5th

Need any more information?

If my company goes bankrupt despite me performing brilliantly, I wouldn't expect to join the dole queue, I'd expect to move to another company who is performing well...

What if an unfashionable Northern team is rock bottom of the league at Christmas no points, scored 0, conceded 19, their star Algerian striker hasn't been bothered so far and so departs at Xmas to join a more attractive London side. That's fine right? I mean despite him being guilty of the very thing you'd punish a 'keeper who'd been the player of the season for the relegated side, he can move with impunity because the team has not yet gone down?

Put it this way QPR conceded 73 goals despite Rob Green's best efforts (2nd highest number of saves in EPL, 3rd in Europes top 5 Leagues). He's an experienced 'keeper and proven Premier League quality, should he not be allowed to leave QPR to join a Premier League side? He's done his job to the best of his not inconsiderable ability and he's unable to fashion chances, to control the tempo, to score goals or win the ball back in the middle of the park...

It is inconceivable to me that you think it's reasonable to restrict the free movement of an employee when relegation is not likely to be a personal failure on their part. I understand you want to punish poor performance and reward contribution, but your suggestion is unlawful, unfair and unworkable.

As I've said a few times, and to which you've yet to give a satisfactory response, is it not more reasonable to apply performance related pay across the board? With the increased reliability of statistics from OPTA and their counterparts, it is possible to more accurately judge whether a player is performing in their role efficiently. Be they marked on yards covered and tackles attempted/made or dribbles attempted and chances created, or whatever.

Rob Green got relegated after he chose not to stay with newly promoted West Ham, and instead opted for QPR, who had just avoided relegation on the last day. You don't need to be a genius to figure out what probably motivated that switch, so I feel no sympathy for him. And this is now the second time he's been relegated with them, and the fourth time overall, having also been relegated with West Ham and Norwich. I think it's a hard sell to claim he's proven PL quality and absolutely deserves another PL club based on making the 2nd highest number of saves while playing for a side who were being scored against for fun.

The prevalence of OPTA stats being used to prove any old shit over good old fashioned analysis is precisely why I said any system of performance related pay would be unworkable. Someone a while back gave a great example - the passes completed stat completely ignores things like distance or difficulty. Players efficiently popping the ball around 5 yards in their own half while achieving the square root of fuck all in terms of winning the game would get paid handsomely in such a system, while the midfielder who only completes 50% of his passes, but wins you games because one of them is a beauty to the feet of a striker running through on goal, would get the basic wage.

Rob Green got relegated after he chose not to stay with newly promoted West Ham, and instead opted for QPR, who had just avoided relegation on the last day. You don't need to be a genius to figure out what probably motivated that switch, so I feel no sympathy for him. And this is now the second time he's been relegated with them, and the fourth time overall, having also been relegated with West Ham and Norwich. I think it's a hard sell to claim he's proven PL quality and absolutely deserves another PL club based on making the 2nd highest number of saves while playing for a side who were being scored against for fun.

The prevalence of OPTA stats being used to prove any old shit over good old fashioned analysis is precisely why I said any system of performance related pay would be unworkable. Someone a while back gave a great example - the passes completed stat completely ignores things like distance or difficulty. Players efficiently popping the ball around 5 yards in their own half while achieving the square root of fuck all in terms of winning the game would get paid handsomely in such a system, while the midfielder who only completes 50% of his passes, but wins you games because one of them is a beauty to the feet of a striker running through on goal, would get the basic wage.

You've unsurprisingly missed my point with your replies.

That Green made the wrong choice should have no bearing what so ever on whether or not he's allowed to make a decision about his future. He performed very well this season and has "earned" another shot at the Premier League. As has Ings, or Austin.

To punish individuals for other players' poor performances, for poor managerial appointments, or poor coaching, or poor recruitment around them is frankly fucking stupid.

OPTA stats can be used to more accurately determine if a player is performing in their role effectively.

There you go mate, have another crack.