Your very last chance to see a Vulcan in flight

Makom

The last operational Vulcan will stop flying alter this years displays - and this time it's for real, it's not a money issue but a regulatory/engineering one. And I cannot stress this enough, you need to see this shit, it's that awesome - it's big, it's loud, it's powerful and arguably it's even beautiful, from certain angles anyway. If you really need to have it explained to you in any more detail than that, then I guess I can indulge you here, but I'd rather you just stopped being such an ignorant fanny. Put it this way - if Gemmill could be an airplane, he'd be one of these, fo'shure.

The confirmed appearances can be seen at http://www.vulcantothesky.org/appearances.html At the time of writing, it doesn't look like it's going to be at the Sunderland air show (last weekend in July). While there still seems to be an open slot on the timetable, the word on Facebook is that they've already enquired and been told it won't be there. I think they're lying and are holding out for a cheaper fee, like typical mackem cunts. So your last best hope to see it is on the nationwide tour on Saturday 27 June - at some point during that day it will be flying over the North East Air Museum (nelsam.org.uk), also in Sunderland, and will hopefully do some kind of mini-display.

And now, it's picture time.

Avro_Vulcan_XH558_%288039811596%29.jpg96553.jpg7761300350_d97da5a170_b.jpgvulcan1.jpg154533_800.jpgIMG_1326.jpg

I've sat on top of celadon hills when the air show has been one and it turned right above us. 'Twas truly awesome.

I would also recommend going to Sunderland air museum as you can climb in and sit in the pilots seat. Its a climb and twist to get up from the under carriage and into the tiny seating area, but once there you will have nothing but admiration for the folks that used to fly these beasts.

Before I drove tanks, I used to fly this giant triangular beast. Had the odd argument with young squadron leaders and many a time had to climb out of the cockpit to have it out with the uppity young squadron leader.

I've sat on top of celadon hills when the air show has been one and it turned right above us. 'Twas truly awesome.

That golf club up Lizard Lane is where we're gan for it. Fuck the mackems.

Before I drove tanks, I used to fly this giant triangular beast. Had the odd argument with young squadron leaders and many a time had to climb out of the cockpit to have it out with the uppity young squadron leader.

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

This is just a reminded that this is happening tomorrow...... :crazypilot:

I'd never been to the aircraft museum before but it turns out it's piss easy to get to even if you don't have a car - it's right next to the Nissan factory (north side). You can get the 56 bus from Newcastle or Sunderland, or the 50 bus from Durham or South Shields. Don't make the mistake of thinking the buses go right past the museum along the Old Washington Road, they don't - you have to get off at the Nissan Offices bus stop about 200m to the west on the A road (it's all signposted, both the Nissan offices, and the museum has the usual brown tourist sign).

All seems to be well with the aircaft, it's made all but one of its displays in June, and the sole cancellation doesn't appear to have been for mechanical reasons. Those with twitter who are of a nervous disposition can check progress tomorrow - it's taking off at 1pm (it's based at Doncaster Robin Hood) and will be over the museum at 1.43pm precisely, weather/operational factors permitting. From there it's heading up to East Lothian before coming down the west coast via Carlisle, although sadly this doesn't mean it will be flying over Newcastle - for some reason (presumably noise) after the museum it's being routed out to sea to shadow the coast line and doesn't come back inland until Alnwick (map on their site if you're interested).

God knows what's going on with the Sunderland Air Show - the Vulcan still appears to have a gap in its schedule, but it wasn't mentioned when the show officially launched earlier this month. Haven't checked Faceboook or owt, so if anyone finds something post it here, but I fear that ship has sailed.

Some might have also seen the news that's occurred since I posted this, that they're bringing back the airshow at Durham Tees Valley (Saturday 29 August) and the Vulcan's going to be there, so that's good news if you've forgotten about the appearance tomorrow. But sadly it's not a full display, just a flypast, the same as is happening tomorrow. And obviously the DTV is a lot further away too (despite the name, it's basically twice as far away from Newcastle as Durham itself is, so getting there would be a darn sight harder).

If you can't make any of there, then basically it's Glasgow, or somewhere so far south it becomes a bit of a major trip.

Other than the reasons I gave at the start, it reminds us of a more peaceful time when the only thing we had to worry about was the spectre of instant death at the hands of a nuclear blast. What's there not to be fascinated about? More interesting than Schteve MCcClarren any day. Ignore it all you want, but if you miss it, you'll not see it's like again in your lifetime.....and it's one of those few things in life that you need to experience yourself, others telling you what it's like or watching it on Youtube doesn't even come close.

As it happens I had forgotten about this until it came on the radio with about 15 minutes to go. As I was parked at Asda I drive the half a mile to the museum location where hundreds of enthusiasts were waiting, cameras in hand.

Everyone was watching for the first incoming view and as I spotted it, I excitedly announced and pointed it out to 2 or 3 blokes stood next to me. Turned out it was a seagull :lol:

However when it did arrive it was an awesome site doing a 360 above us before climbing sharply at what looked a snails pace.

5fd1092d773525a1ded7b9aea60d4f45.jpg

As it happens I had forgotten about this until it came on the radio with about 15 minutes to go. As I was parked at Asda I drive the half a mile to the museum location where hundreds of enthusiasts were waiting, cameras in hand.

Everyone was watching for the first incoming view and as I spotted it, I excitedly announced and pointed it out to 2 or 3 blokes stood next to me. Turned out it was a seagull :lol:

However when it did arrive it was an awesome site doing a 360 above us before climbing sharply at what looked a snails pace.

:huh:

The Vulcan was pulling doughnuts in the sky?

Was fucking awesome. It came completely out of the wrong direction - everyone had oriented themselves looking to the east, which is what the museum bods were telling people I think, with some even setting up cameras to try and get the static Vulcan in the same shot. I thought this was bizarre, as the group's own website map said it would be coming in from the south. Sadly I went with the herd, and so like everyone else missed its approach until it was basically on top of us. It did three circuits, banking to vertical on at least one that I saw, before climbing away out to sea, doing the old wing dip wave as a farewell thing. Sadly though it appears (to my untrained ear at least) that they were being a little bit stingy with the throttles, meaning it wasn't quite as loud as I remember when it was at the airshow. Or maybe I've just gone a bit deafer in the years since. I also underestimated how low it would be, meaning it was out of sight behind the museum hangar for long periods of the circuit, which was slightly annoying. The sight of its camo paint scheme shining in the sun as it banked, and the climb away, plus of course the fact it's still loud as fuck even when not being run at full throttle, more than made up for it though. Not sure what to make of the fact I might have been in close proximity with CT IRL. I haven't developed any symptoms yet....

Are you into stamp collecting too by any chance?

Not remotely. And I can't even begin to think why anyone would even associate being a fan of the Vulcan bomber with stamp collecting.

Not remotely. And I can't even begin to think why anyone would even associate being a fan of the Vulcan bomber with stamp collecting.

:lol: