Kodi

Christmas Tree

I havent had a play about with mine yet but surely you only need a few addons?

One for films, one for tv, one for football. Back ups. What am i missing?

Aye you're right. I would say you need two or three back ups though (particularly for watching anything live) because sometimes apps go down for a while or you get ropey streams. Basically I have Operation Robocop, Dexter, Phoenix, Money Sports, Pak India and UK Turk for live streams but generally will stick to the first two most of time (Robocop for Premier Leaue Pass and Dexter for Sky).

Aye that's it.

I've got:

Genesis

Dexter Tv

SALTS

And another one that I can't remember but have barely used. Gonna add a different sports one into the mix too, and there's another movie one that I've read about.

But that's exactly it, you don't need the kitchen sink with karaoke addons and a million music addons etc.

I havent had a play about with mine yet but surely you only need a few addons?

One for films, one for tv, one for football. Back ups. What am i missing?

Eg. Genesis is currently not being updated. It's dying, so lots of links, particularly for new stuff don't work.

Newer add ons from different groups are out there which do work.

Also if you have a few sports add ons then you are covered for a match when one is off or has poor links.

This is why a build is so good. You let the nerds keep the thing up to date for you and you just watch.

It doesn't take a nerd to add a new app a couple of minutes though. As I think has already been pointed out the kid who does the beast seems about as bright as Steven Avery!

I don't like SALTS as much as Genesis but I'm using it more now that Genesis isnt' being updated. Hulu seems quite canny but I've not tried it much yet.

Tooj was telling me the Genesis kid is working on a new version, so that should be good.

It doesn't take a nerd to add a new app a couple of minutes though. As I think has already been pointed out the kid who does the beast seems about as bright as Steven Avery!

It doesn't, but these nerds are bang upto date with which new add ons are the best and incorporate them in their builds.

If chez or gloom want to follow various Twitter accounts or Facebook pages and stay ahead of the curve and be involved then DIY is great.

If they want to sit down, crack open a bottle and just watch, then a build is perfect.

Tooj was telling me the Genesis kid is working on a new version, so that should be good.

I think he's doing one called Ororo or something which just has TV shows. You have to sign up and you only get a couple of free episodes a day. I don't know if that's the one Tooj is on about but if it is, it obviously doesn't sound as good.

It doesn't, but these nerds are bang upto date with which new add ons are the best and incorporate them in their builds.

If chez or gloom want to follow various Twitter accounts or Facebook pages and stay ahead of the curve and be involved then DIY is great.

If they want to sit down, crack open a bottle and just watch, then a build is perfect.

You are an unrepentant spunk guzzler. Just admit you don't know what you're on about. Nobody could possibly think any less of you anyway.

A quick glance at a couple of websites will give you the new go to apps just as quickly as any build will and as I've said it takes you two minutes max to install them. I'm no IT genius but it really couldn't be simpler. But as I've said I'm not knocking anyone who wants to have something like the beast, I just didn't like it.

You are an unrepentant spunk guzzler. Just admit you don't know what you're on about. Nobody could possibly think any less of you anyway.

Listen needle dick, I've dragged you upto date with the fire stick, I'm just putting the other side of the argument for those who don't want to sit around in their Jim jams thinking they are Lex Luthor.

CT, i am far from understanding any of this so far but watching the corner of the screen last night, there were loads of 'automatic updates' going on.

This box is quad core has loads of RAM, runs 5.1 (latest?) and seem fairly powerful (the version of The Martian i watched last night was really high quality).

So first of all, i dont know if the thing updates itself (doesnt seem likely from what i have read in here) but secondly, seems like it can handle loads of programs.

Question (and a stupid one) - on sites like this https://seo-michael.co.uk there are step by step guides to installing addons. Does the addon installer app get round this process? Or do you need the addon installer to follow the processes set out on these sites? (that must sound stupid but i've never owned a PC that wasnt controlled by an admin).

Secondly, if there are automatic updates to addons, does this get round the problem that CT was talking about. I do tend to the 'less faff the better' side of things.

CT, i am far from understanding any of this so far but watching the corner of the screen last night, there were loads of 'automatic updates' going on.

This box is quad core has loads of RAM, runs 5.1 (latest?) and seem fairly powerful (the version of The Martian i watched last night was really high quality).

So first of all, i dont know if the thing updates itself (doesnt seem likely from what i have read in here) but secondly, seems like it can handle loads of programs.

Question (and a stupid one) - on sites like this https://seo-michael.co.uk there are step by step guides to installing addons. Does the addon installer app get round this process? Or do you need the addon installer to follow the processes set out on these sites? (that must sound stupid but i've never owned a PC that wasnt controlled by an admin).

Secondly, if there are automatic updates to addons, does this get round the problem that CT was talking about. I do tend to the 'less faff the better' side of things.

Some (most) of the add ons update automatically others sometimes change what repository they're in so you need to make the change yourself (Dexter was one where this happened a few months ago). You don't need addon installer app to do any of this. I've not looked into the addon installer but on first glances I couldn't really work out the benefit of it so I just didn't bother going back to it.

Actually this talk of updates reminds me of the other reason why I uninstalled the beast. Every time I started it up it seemed to take an age going through an update process with loads of the apps and I couldn't watch anything while it was doing this.

Isn't the addon installer app just fusion - ie a location where all the repositories can be downloaded from.

Chez, seriously, ignore CT. You don't need to do very much at all to keep individual addons up to date. Just add the stuff you need using the guides on that kid's site and keep it a clean setup.

Isn't the addon installer app just fusion - ie a location where all the repositories can be downloaded from.

Chez, seriously, ignore CT. You don't need to do very much at all to keep individual addons up to date. Just add the stuff you need using the guides on that kid's site and keep it a clean setup.

Being a bit clueless i cant help but thinking i am going to make a mess of something so i think 'less is more' in this case.

So this addon installer thing - you search for an addon, press install and it then appears in the addon section under videos. You dont need to follow the (very simple) process on that kids site.

My question is therefore about updates as i am not clear on the process. If i want to update an addon, do i just reinstall it?

Soz - wasting people's time, just found answer.

"During installation, the repository for the addon is also installed. This ensures that the addon is automatically updated when updates are available. Addon Installer is an awesome Kodi plugin developed by TVAddons. Kudos to them for all the hard work they put in. Go ahead install Addon Installer on Kodi and make installing and maintaining Kodi addons easy."

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/install-addon-installer-kodi/