• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Flew back from two weeks in Umbria today. Fucking gutted to be back. Was in the queue to get on the plane and noticed a fat cunt a few people ahead of me in a Panama hat.   It wasn't until h

Aye cos no one had heard of Rome in 2009.

Got back from a long weekend in the Highlands. We did:   Glencoe Fort William South Coast of Skye Eilean Donan Fort Augustus\Loch Ness Pitlochry   Highligh

Posted Images

Went in 99 when we played there. Probably changed a bit but had a great time - cheap and a bit edgy.

This was about Sofia, and having just got back I can only echo the above. Definitely a bit more money around the place nowadays, at least along the central boulevard and parks, so the eating/drinking is very good but a bit closer to western prices - still plenty of decrepit buildings and ripoff taxi drivers to ensure some local flavour though. Did a running tour that ended up at a craft beer bar (even Bulgaria has hipsters), went to a museum with all the old Communist statues laid out in a garden in the middle of a dull office complex, consumed copious amounts of espresso because they don't seem to know what a long black coffee is - all grand. :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Should have posted my previous post on here, but tomorrow is the last day of my lake district visit. When I booked this week I was dreading torrential rain and being couped up for a week with a 3 and 5 year old. However, the weather has been unreal, proper beer garden stuff in November! Today, after 2 days off to rest my fucked legs, I walked the high street range in amazing clarity of weather. It was brilliant seeing all the major ranges so clearly. The scafells, great gable, Helvellyn range and blencathra were particularly prominent. Very few places in the world are this beautiful imo.

They are mainly used for walking for most of the year, it's not just ski resorts and treacherous mountains. Done some nice hikes around Interlaken and the lakes around Zug are amazing and have very similar geological features to our own. Not really comparing the two as the colors and atmosphere are very different but Alpine walking is a very big thing in those parts.

If you do the High Street range when we have a really dry summer there's a good chance of seeing Mardale coming out of the retreating waters of Haweswater.

The lake was low but not that low as it happens. Forgot to mention, I met Chris Bonnington up there which was canny.

• 1 month later...

Thinking of going the full middle clsss and driving to France for holiday not next year but the one after. Probably to the Normandy/Brittany area cos I can't be fucked with spending too much time driving.

Any recommendations on towns/areas to base around would be good cheers. Would be up for splitting it one week somewhere and a second week somewhere else if that would be worthwhile.

Posh people of TT, help a brother out.

With Normandy, you're probably best booking a few decent B&Bs or 3/4 star hotels in the good towns. If you come from Calais, i'd go. 

Etretat - Picturesque village / town with massive cliffs, nice walks

Deauville - Posh seaside resort, has a film festival. Loads of parisians have their 'maison secondaire' there. 

Cabourg - Just as nice as Deauville but cheaper, might be a good place to base yourself to explore the coast between Le Havre and Bayeux

Bayeux - Decent carpet

Brittany is not somewhere i know as well. I would recommend going to somewhere like St Malo but the best spots are on the southern facing coast of Brittany and particular the Gulf of Morbihan. You'd want to stay in Vannes to explore the coast between Concarneau and Saint-Nazaire. 

Thinking of going the full middle clsss and driving to France for holiday not next year but the one after. Probably to the Normandy/Brittany area cos I can't be fucked with spending too much time driving.

Any recommendations on towns/areas to base around would be good cheers. Would be up for splitting it one week somewhere and a second week somewhere else if that would be worthwhile.

Posh people of TT, help a brother out.

How about a week in Normandy followed by a week in Brittany? Or maybe the other way round. You're welcome

With Normandy, you're probably best booking a few decent B&Bs or 3/4 star hotels in the good towns. If you come from Calais, i'd go.

Etretat - Picturesque village / town with massive cliffs, nice walks

Deauville - Posh seaside resort, has a film festival. Loads of parisians have their 'maison secondaire' there.

Cabourg - Just as nice as Deauville but cheaper, might be a good place to base yourself to explore the coast between Le Havre and Bayeux

Bayeux - Decent carpet

Brittany is not somewhere i know as well. I would recommend going to somewhere like St Malo but the best spots are on the southern facing coast of Brittany and particular the Gulf of Morbihan. You'd want to stay in Vannes to explore the coast between Concarneau and Saint-Nazaire.

Excellent, thanks. This is what I was hoping for, some town/area ideas. I've been looking at Owners Direct for private rentals, but wasn't sure if I was looking at places in the equivalent of Pennywell.